Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Default Youth Mentored Hunt Opening.

I find myself on the last day of season without a hunting partner and dogs that need some exercise.

So I am willing to put It out there again a mentored hunt for a youth. Time will be Saturday morning until about noon. I am thinking we will start about 8am so it should give us about 4 hours of hunting.

This will be for one youth and a guardian. Hopefully we can get someone under 18 out and hopefully they havent done much bird hunting yet but it doesnt much matter. We will be going after late season pheasants with pointing dogs.

If you are free saturday morning, have your hunter education, licenses, and a guardian please post your name and contact info (phone refered). Ill do a quick draw tomorrow night (friday) at 6:30pm mtn time if there are multiple people.

I know its a little short notice but I thought I would put it out there. Please do not enter if you are unable to make the commute to the Lethbridge Area.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:30 PM

You should get involved with one of the mentored waterfowl hunts that take place in Alberta. Lots of great programs to get youth into hunting!
Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 PM

Versatile, there was a call for mentors put out by the LFGA in late October. It sounds like they had about 40 people looking for mentors, and only one mentor respond. Not sure why so few people are willing to help out new hunters.

I mentored two young (13y/o) girls this Novemeber. We got for a couple days pheasant hunting; they each got a wild rooster, and one day each out for Whitetails in the foothills. No deer were taken, but one had a great opportunity.

I also took out a group of new pheasant hunters who don't have bird dogs out at the pheasant festival. Had a great time.

Good for you for offering. I hope someone took you up on it.