Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-18-2016, 10:55 AM
HoytCRX32's Avatar
HoytCRX32 HoytCRX32 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,786
Default

I'm Ukrainian
Somehow I survived the '70's (and the hundreds of Ukrainian jokes) without trauma.....orrrrr did I?
__________________
Common sense is so rare these days, that it should be considered a super power.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:21 AM
fitzy fitzy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
I'm Ukrainian
Somehow I survived the '70's (and the hundreds of Ukrainian jokes) without trauma.....orrrrr did I?
And yet there's no hockey teams called the Vegreville Bohunks. Just cause you're OK with it doesn't mean an entire culture has to be.

I'm not sure anybody can make the argument that Chief Wahoo isn't racist.
__________________
Take a kid fishing, kids that fish don't grow up to be A-holes.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Twisted Canuck's Avatar
Twisted Canuck Twisted Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 11,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
The politically correct manifesto

"Whoever is declared the biggest victim gets to be the biggest bully "
I like that, it would make a great signature line. I'd appropriate it, but then you would have cause to be offended, and we wouldn't want that.
__________________
'Once the monkeys learn they can vote themselves a banana, they'll never climb another tree.'. Robert Heinlein

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Calamitus Necessaria Est. (Disaster is Inevitable)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 AM
happy honker happy honker is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
And yet there's no hockey teams called the Vegreville Bohunks. Just cause you're OK with it doesn't mean an entire culture has to be.

I'm not sure anybody can make the argument that Chief Wahoo isn't racist.
Wahoo Mcdaniel was one of my favourite WWA wrestlers back when I was a kid.

Wrestling....now there's where some stereotypes come out to play.

Was Iron Sheik really made of Iron?
Was Big Bad Bobby Duncan really a cowboy?

They should pull every copy of Slapshot off the shelves unless they re edit the movie to not call the team the 'Chiefs".
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 AM
happy honker happy honker is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,643
Default

Also...my son plays lacrosse for a team called the Warriors.
Their logo is an "indian head" with crossed spears. A "Warrior".
The kids love their name because it makes them feel bada**.
I think that is more respectful than demeaning or exploiting.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM
dmcbride dmcbride is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bazeau County East side
Posts: 4,099
Default

If we took every single thing that some person was offended with and banned it we would have nothing left. Where do we draw the line?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:50 AM
HoytCRX32's Avatar
HoytCRX32 HoytCRX32 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
And yet there's no hockey teams called the Vegreville Bohunks. Just cause you're OK with it doesn't mean an entire culture has to be.

I'm not sure anybody can make the argument that Chief Wahoo isn't racist.
You're right...go ahead and feel perpetually offended
__________________
Common sense is so rare these days, that it should be considered a super power.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:04 PM
fitzy fitzy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
You're right...go ahead and feel perpetually offended
Oh no I'm not offended at all. It takes quite a bit to offend me. I'm open minded though and can understand why people would be upset about it.
Really the only thing that offends me are those who refuse to open their mind or look at things from anothers perspective.
__________________
Take a kid fishing, kids that fish don't grow up to be A-holes.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 PM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 34,758
Default

I remember about 15 or 20 years ago a newspaper writer did an article up here about how offensive the term"Newfy" was and how it made them look like uneducated and unintelligent people .
I asked my partner at work about it and he said point blank
"Lard Thunderin' ! Ya shoulda seen de mess when de ol' girl saw dat Yahoo down at de Newfy club and climbed aboarda him- danged Towny anyhow"
Cat
__________________
" And then there's Neil Young- I'm certain there's a few loose strings on THAT guitar!"
Rex Murphy
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:25 PM
HoytCRX32's Avatar
HoytCRX32 HoytCRX32 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Oh no I'm not offended at all. It takes quite a bit to offend me. I'm open minded though and can understand why people would be upset about it.
Really the only thing that offends me are those who refuse to open their mind or look at things from anothers perspective.
If you can tell whose minds are open or not you are a much better man (or woman) than I. What about those that do look at things from another perspective but do not agree with said perspective?

It is amazing (to me) that some people can scream from the highest tower about rights and freedoms and society's abuses, yet quickly become judge, jury and executioner should somebody disagree with their viewpoint, quickly labeling such a person "close-minded", "racist", "bigot", "denier" etc.

The hypocrisy would be laughable if it weren't so widespread
__________________
Common sense is so rare these days, that it should be considered a super power.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:29 PM
HoytCRX32's Avatar
HoytCRX32 HoytCRX32 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I remember about 15 or 20 years ago a newspaper writer did an article up here about how offensive the term"Newfy" was and how it made them look like uneducated and unintelligent people .
I asked my partner at work about it and he said point blank
"Lard Thunderin' ! Ya shoulda seen de mess when de ol' girl saw dat Yahoo down at de Newfy club and climbed aboarda him- danged Towny anyhow"
Cat
Indeed
__________________
Common sense is so rare these days, that it should be considered a super power.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 PM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 34,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Indeed
That writer had to be the only person I have ever met who was ashamed to be called a Newfy!
The Quote BTW is directly from my friend who I have the highest respect for, has served our Country as an artillery soldier and is book educated as well. As a ticked tradesman!
Cat
__________________
" And then there's Neil Young- I'm certain there's a few loose strings on THAT guitar!"
Rex Murphy
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM
HoytCRX32's Avatar
HoytCRX32 HoytCRX32 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That writer had to be the only person I have ever met who was ashamed to be called a Newfy!
Cat
I had (have) the honor and pleasure of being an "Honorary Newfie"...all it took was a flat of Moosehead and some elk jerky.
__________________
Common sense is so rare these days, that it should be considered a super power.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:46 PM
fitzy fitzy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
If you can tell whose minds are open or not you are a much better man (or woman) than I. What about those that do look at things from another perspective but do not agree with said perspective?

It is amazing (to me) that some people can scream from the highest tower about rights and freedoms and society's abuses, yet quickly become judge, jury and executioner should somebody disagree with their viewpoint, quickly labeling such a person "close-minded".

There's a big difference between not agreeing with someone's perspective and being closed minded and refusing to listen to it.

If someone decides it's ridiculous for individuals to be offended by Chief Wahoo or the name Indians and doesn't look into the name or put any thought into it beyond how they feel about it I'm comfortable labeling them as closed minded.
I know plenty of natIves who think it's incredibly racist. They think the Redskins is the worst.

I gotta say their opion is the most valid I've heard on the subject.
__________________
Take a kid fishing, kids that fish don't grow up to be A-holes.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:49 PM
fitzy fitzy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
I had (have) the honor and pleasure of being an "Honorary Newfie"...all it took was a flat of Moosehead and some elk jerky.
Lol me too! Mine was a bottle rum, perch for the seafood supper and a promise to try seal flipper....... try to never eat seal flipper.
__________________
Take a kid fishing, kids that fish don't grow up to be A-holes.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:51 PM
HoytCRX32's Avatar
HoytCRX32 HoytCRX32 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Lol me too! Mine was a bottle rum, perch for the seafood supper and a promise to try seal flipper....... try to never eat seal flipper.
We are all bruddas from udda muddas
Nice debate...1 week til rifle season in the lower 300's
__________________
Common sense is so rare these days, that it should be considered a super power.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-18-2016, 01:00 PM
fitzy fitzy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
We are all bruddas from udda muddas
Nice debate...1 week til rifle season in the lower 300's
Deer tenderloin. .... so much better than Seal flipper!!

Good luck! We start Nov 1 my oldest is 12 this year so it's a special year for us ..
__________________
Take a kid fishing, kids that fish don't grow up to be A-holes.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Opa Opa is offline
Gone Hunting
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: 503
Posts: 979
Default

My kids & myself have been labelled any number of names over the years, all of which referred to our German heritage. Call me what you want, I could really give a rat's patoot, just don't call me late for schnitzel, spaetzle, saurkraut and beer for supper!!!!!
__________________
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Halfton's Avatar
Halfton Halfton is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lethbridge Ab
Posts: 627
Default

This whole Indian Logo crap is just more Liberal-Tard stupidity trying to push us all into a absolutely Politically Correct World which the morons are too stupid to realise will never work and that no-one but them wants.

Jim
__________________
Wexit
"I am the midnight watchman down at Miller's Tool and Die.
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-18-2016, 04:13 PM
gitrdun gitrdun is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: High River, AB
Posts: 10,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I see since they reconstructed the dam there, they closed access off to fish....
The north end is just a farmer's panel gate with easy and allowed access. I haven't checked the south end closer to the dam, but I could check it out for you if it helps. It's only 5 minutes from home.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 10-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Unregistered user Unregistered user is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,892
Default

A whiney Canadian is complaining about an American team with a long and storied past. A whiney Canadian was behind the push to get Savage a company with a long and storied past to change their logo. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...pers-1.3186654 Some Canucks, I tells ya!
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. Winston S. Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 10-18-2016, 04:27 PM
kevinhits kevinhits is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
The north end is just a farmer's panel gate with easy and allowed access. I haven't checked the south end closer to the dam, but I could check it out for you if it helps. It's only 5 minutes from home.
Thanks....I have been going out there for years and have talked to the guy in charge of the dam a few times. He said the ongoing garbage, empty beer cans and damage has been a huge concern to them and it would only be time before they blocked access to the dam area...They have gated the area off from the road so no access. I checked the North end as well but did not see an access into the resevoir.

I have seen a few trout come out while I was there but only suckers for me
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 10-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Redfrog's Avatar
Redfrog Redfrog is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Between Bodo and a hard place
Posts: 20,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
What a bunch of babies. Grow up and get a life
Hey That's offensive. I was a baby once and I've found that growing up is simply a gov't game to get taxes.
__________________
I'm not lying!!! You are just experiencing it differently.



Everyone understands a punch in the mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Okotokian's Avatar
Okotokian Okotokian is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Uh, guess? :)
Posts: 26,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Am I still allowed to catch Squaw Fish ?
" In 1999, the American Fisheries Society adopted "pikeminnow" as the name it recommends, because Native Americans considered "squawfish" offensive"

And go out and get that jockey off your lawn too.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-18-2016, 05:06 PM
grouse_hunter grouse_hunter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
" In 1999, the American Fisheries Society adopted "pikeminnow" as the name it recommends, because Native Americans considered "squawfish" offensive"
I though that you were kidding and then I verified the information...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 PM
fishunter327's Avatar
fishunter327 fishunter327 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 65km south of Stoner
Posts: 521
Default

So your saying the insurance business in our town called "Gook Insurance" may not be politically correct ?
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 PM
hunting4? hunting4? is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
Douglas Cardinal is the same ******* that is controlling the redesign/ adding on to the St Mary's church in Red Deer.

He wont approve anything the the church has been stuck for years.

Im surprised the rich sob hasn't said something about all the election promises trudeau broke to Natives.. That might be worth mentioning. This just gets his idiotic name in the press again!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 10-18-2016, 08:17 PM
grouse_hunter grouse_hunter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,509
Default

This thread made me think of the things which offend me. "Beaners" hair cuts for kids is using a racist slur applicable to people of Latin American background as their name! A Mexican co-worker of mine was shocked to see it! Down with Beaners! It's definitely the right time to round up a posse and teach those hair cutting bigots a lesson. I'm kidding of course
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 PM
HalfBreed's Avatar
HalfBreed HalfBreed is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Parkland
Posts: 1,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
This thread made me think of the things which offend me. "Beaners" hair cuts for kids is using a racist slur applicable to people of Latin American background as their name! A Mexican co-worker of mine was shocked to see it! Down with Beaners! It's definitely the right time to round up a posse and teach those hair cutting bigots a lesson. I'm kidding of course
What is a beaner?
__________________
I take everything with a grain of pepper, I'm just different that way.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 PM
grouse_hunter grouse_hunter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
What is a beaner?
Racist slur towards people of Latin American background, mainly Mexicans. Supposedly they eat a lot of beans. I'm eating pork and beans in between typing!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.