Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2023, 07:58 PM

Default Washer & Dryer

We need a little help here! Need to know what to stay away from. And what to look for. Looking for a stackable washer & dryer! Any help is uplifting!
Old 07-28-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
We need a little help here! Need to know what to stay away from. And what to look for. Looking for a stackable washer & dryer! Any help is uplifting!
My repair guy says they all suck. Get the extended warranty.

That said he said buy ones with dials if possible instead of touch pads.

Stay away from steam dry and other fancy options.

Stick with top load washer and side load dryers

Take the lowest bells and whistles possible as it’s less to go wrong.

Brands are all incestuous.

Whirlpool Corporation owns the Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, Roper, and KitchenAid brands.

Electrolux company currently owns Frigidaire, Tappan, Kelvinator and Gibson appliance brands.

Haier manufactures GE, Hotpoint, Cafe, Profile, and Monogram branded household appliances.

Samsung owns Dacor

LG is LG

I found shopping at Home Depot and picking the best rated worked for us.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-28-2023, 10:27 PM

If you are looking for a gas dryer, they are hard to find in stacking. Actually, they are getting hard to find period.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-28-2023, 10:44 PM

If you have money- buy Miele. Made in Germany and build like a tank.
In regards to domestic brands- anything made by Whirlpool. And if you want to throw your $$$ out of the window- buy Samsung…
Old 07-28-2023, 11:34 PM

Not stackable but 18 years and counting for our Kenmore (Whirlpool) duet front load models. Replaced the control panel and belt on the dryer (did that myself) washer has been trouble free (knock on wood). Probably on borrowed time but they have washed/dried a ton of laundry over that time.

Domestic brands easier to find parts and parts are often a little cheaper as compared to Korean or European brands. Kinda like cars.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:37 PM

I believe that Heubsch has a stacking option. They're absolute beasts if you get a home sized commercial one.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:54 AM

Huebsch are awesome and the only choice for a robust top loader. Actually all other top loaders are BIC pens comparatively. Downside is high cost and parts availability isn't great. Although you rarely need parts. Their front loads and combo units are excellent as well

LG frontload would be my suggestion, parts are inexpensive and they are easy to work on.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone who responded! I thought it was that time but I got a new Heating Element and installed it, maybe get a few years out of the dryer! Thanks Again!
Old 07-29-2023, 12:54 PM

Can't disagree with much anyone has said.

My 2 cents: washers and dryers are no different than vehicles, computers, TV's, power tools, firearms, bows, etc, etc....
- Treat them like ****, never clean or service them, use them like they're built by NASA, etc....and they break.
- Vast majority of the time, it doesn't matter which of the "top" brands you go with.

I personally baby my stuff to the extreme, including cleaning and maintenance, because we don't have the bank account to continually be shelling out cash for new replacements all the time. Was raised this way, and we're raising our own kids this way.

99% of the time people get what they deserve.
Old 07-29-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Huebsch are awesome and the only choice for a robust top loader. Actually all other top loaders are BIC pens comparatively. Downside is high cost and parts availability isn't great. Although you rarely need parts. Their front loads and combo units are excellent as well

LG frontload would be my suggestion, parts are inexpensive and they are easy to work on.
Ture, but parts are available. You just might have a wait a while. The driers haven't changed much since the 80s. Parts book they sent me for the used washer and drier set I got for my mom says that most parts on the drier except front panels are the same from 1980 onwards with few exceptions on the models with manual dials.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:17 PM

Huebsch.

And it actually cleans you work clothes.
Remember when washing machines used to do that?
Old 07-31-2023, 01:30 PM

Glad you got it fixed, Badbrass!

Ours aren't the greatest, but as long as I can get parts, I can keep ours running. And they run a lot in our household!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
The main gripe I have about LG - and it may not apply to the washers and dryers - is that it was almost impossible to get parts in Canada as they wanted you to buy them from a qualified service person. At least that was my experience with my last LG appliance.
Old 07-31-2023, 03:51 PM

yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
My repair guy says they all suck. Get the extended warranty.

That said he said buy ones with dials if possible instead of touch pads.

Stay away from steam dry and other fancy options.

Stick with top load washer and side load dryers

Take the lowest bells and whistles possible as it’s less to go wrong.

Brands are all incestuous.

Whirlpool Corporation owns the Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, Roper, and KitchenAid brands.

Electrolux company currently owns Frigidaire, Tappan, Kelvinator and Gibson appliance brands.

Haier manufactures GE, Hotpoint, Cafe, Profile, and Monogram branded household appliances.

Samsung owns Dacor

LG is LG

I found shopping at Home Depot and picking the best rated worked for us.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Glad you got it fixed, Badbrass!

Ours aren't the greatest, but as long as I can get parts, I can keep ours running. And they run a lot in our household!

The main gripe I have about LG - and it may not apply to the washers and dryers - is that it was almost impossible to get parts in Canada as they wanted you to buy them from a qualified service person. At least that was my experience with my last LG appliance.
Thanks! I got parts off Amazon which was under $70.00. This was a Kenmore washer & dryer! 12 years old! never cost us until now! I don't usually don't take on these jobs but what can it hurt? With the internet on how to do it, it was quite easy! Take it apart, and put it back together with out a part remaining is the way it is done!
Old 08-01-2023, 07:23 AM

appliance there days is a crap shoot, buy a monday stove washer dryer, all appliances are throw away these days
Old 08-01-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I believe that Heubsch has a stacking option. They're absolute beasts if you get a home sized commercial one.
Do you know how much they cost? $8000 cad? I think just their front load commercial is $6000.

Used to be made by Raytheon... My wife wants me to replace our previously card operated Huebsch front loader (I have a top load coin op Huebsch in my garage to wash Carrots and dirty coveralls) with a fancy steam wash Samsung unit that looking inside it, lcannot last 5 years. I have a lots of Huebsch parts and get paid to work on them so I know how good they are, and it hurts my soul to replace unit that will outlive me with one I will have to replace 4 more times in my life.

I dont know of a decent brand that isn't Huebsch, creda or Miele.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Do you know how much they cost? $8000 cad? I think just their front load commercial is $6000.

Used to be made by Raytheon... My wife wants me to replace our previously card operated Huebsch front loader (I have a top load coin op Huebsch in my garage to wash Carrots and dirty coveralls) with a fancy steam wash Samsung unit that looking inside it, lcannot last 5 years. I have a lots of Huebsch parts and get paid to work on them so I know how good they are, and it hurts my soul to replace unit that will outlive me with one I will have to replace 4 more times in my life.

I dont know of a decent brand that isn't Huebsch, creda or Miele.
I have no idea how much they cost truth be told. I found a used set for $500 and jumped on that like white on rice and a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm. Had to put $400 in parts into the drier, and mom is upset about scratches in the paint and wants them painted (I'm thinking blue metallic pearl), but clothes are clean, and it washes bigger loads properly than the previous Samsung got wet much less clean.

You wash carrots in your washing machine?? Brave man.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:08 PM

Still looks like a good deal!You are looking at $2500 and up for the stuff today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I have no idea how much they cost truth be told. I found a used set for $500 and jumped on that like white on rice and a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm. Had to put $400 in parts into the drier, and mom is upset about scratches in the paint and wants them painted (I'm thinking blue metallic pearl), but clothes are clean, and it washes bigger loads properly than the previous Samsung got wet much less clean.

You wash carrots in your washing machine?? Brave man.

Last edited by badbrass; 08-02-2023 at 03:34 PM.