Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Nope. one of the three. You decide. If your that high on a muzzleloader then use it. There is no seperate draws. You have one choice so make it a good one.
you are contradicting yourself....first you said separate the draws by weapon and then you say no separate draws????
please explain.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Nope. one of the three. You decide. If your that high on a muzzleloader then use it. There is no seperate draws. You have one choice so make it a good one.
Dang, you're starting to sound just like me....

Glad you've been listening to the voices....
Old 03-04-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Food for thought..

I am very grateful that we now, finally, have Sunday hunting in more than ½ of the Province, BUT-
This is something that all Provincial hunting associations have had a unified voice in lobbying for over the past 25 years that I can remember. Well we are getting there, but still lots of WMU’s with no Sunday hunting, and some 400 WMU's only for the last month of the season.

Jump forward the present; we have 2 minority user groups with no formal association that I can see and they get the ear of SRD to such a degree that inclusion of the crossbow in the archery season and a separate season for muzzleloaders is on the table? How did these items jump the queue yet something that will benefit ALL hunters; Sunday hunting is still not province wide? If you want to create more opportunity for all hunters, regardless of what weapon you choose, well here it is!

How is shortening an existing season, archery or general and creating another season the length of time you took from the other creating more opportunity?

I am not here to debate the merits of crossbows in the archery season, or a separate muzzleloader season, lots of opinion on both sides within these pages. Just very curious how something that will reduce opportunity for existing seasons through shortening the bow, general or both of these seasons and potentially creating draws for more species/seasons is garnering the attention of SRD?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

You're more powerful than you knew!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Didn't you know the voices for Alberta hunters are T.J. Schwanky and Richard Mellon?
Thats the problem..they think they are, but theyre not....if those clowns were half the hunters they thought they were, and theyre cracked up to be, they would get the heck out there with a bow.

as for the ML season in the last 2 weeks of oct. thats also a load of chit. ive never had the need to shoot animals beyond 100 yards with a rifle, so why cant they hunt in the general season? modern muzzle loaders are accurate out to 300 yards in some cases, and they want to allow these during bow season
if the 'primitive weapons' hunters really want thier own season, give it to them in the first two weeks of December. if you consider this to be poor management due to increased harvest, stop triple tagging does!!!!
no extra tags need to be given out!
and if crossbows are allowed in archery season, i can assure you mule buck WILL go on a draw. any idiot can belly crawl up to 40 yards from a mule buck...now try roll on your knees and shoot with a compound. chance of success is pretty slim...with a crossbow, many of those animals who formerly bedded in spots very difficult to stalk on with a compound are fair game for crossbow hunters.
If the Alberta govt really want to increase opportunity ADD seasons, dont change existing ones.

I love living and hunting in Alberta, but with the ammount of BULLchit thats been going in SRD and the like lately, im getting the feeling that there are certain individuals who need to be sent to south with thier Yankee Ideas...not that i have anything against Americans, its just that if thats how they want to hunt, get down there were those idiotic laws are already in place...

GRRRRRRRRRRRR..........
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Somebody got his weekend pass early and it is sweet seeing the sparkle come back to his partners eye.

Now what rational other than "I Want It" is there for this seperate season.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Somebody got his weekend pass early and it is sweet seeing the sparkle come back to his partners eye.

NONE!!!!! ( sorry sh)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 PM

The problem is that manufacturers push thier products on outdoor writers and the like.
the crossbow guys sponser Joe Numbnuts and he lobbys the govt for changes to increase product sales for his sponser...now when seasons are added - great more opportunity....when archery seasons are slashed to allow more succesful weapons in the same season - thats bull....
Old 03-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post

Yup renewed energy.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
you are contradicting yourself....first you said separate the draws by weapon and then you say no separate draws????
please explain.
You can put in for A: Mule Deer muzzleloader B: Mule Deer bow C: Mule Deer Rifle etc. One. Not a combination of them and if you change your mind you lose all priority when you switch.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:

I sound nothing like you. Learn to leave well enough alone as you are on a complete fools errand. Like I said earlier. If you like it so much somewhere else don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I would absolutely love to go toe to toe with you on the subject in front of an audience.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 PM

I find it very interesting that those who were so against any changes to sheep hunting are pushing so hard to get a muzzelloader season.I guess there's nothing like looking out for your own interests above those of others.

There is no need for a muzzelloader season in Alberta,we have some of the best hunting seasons as they now stand.Just because they have all these different season some where else is no reason to change things.Its kind of like everyone else is jumping of the cliff so we should too!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You can put in for A: Mule Deer muzzleloader B: Mule Deer bow C: Mule Deer Rifle etc. One. Not a combination of them and if you change your mind you lose all priority when you switch.
With ideas like this Chuck you should work for SRD
Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
The problem is that manufacturers push thier products on outdoor writers and the like.
the crossbow guys sponser Joe Numbnuts and he lobbys the govt for changes to increase product sales for his sponser...now when seasons are added - great more opportunity....when archery seasons are slashed to allow more succesful weapons in the same season - thats bull....
Or there are people who actually LIKE using a new weapon, gosh what a remarkable idea.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Didn't you know the voices for Alberta hunters are T.J. Schwanky and Richard Mellon?
May as well sell all the guns and buy some golf clubs.

With Argo Quest behind the average hunter he won't be able to afford to hunt!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I sound nothing like you. Learn to leave well enough alone as you are on a complete fools errand. Like I said earlier. If you like it so much somewhere else don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I would absolutely love to go toe to toe with you on the subject in front of an audience.
Sorry but you only prove that you HAVEN't been reading what SH has been saying, or are you the one on the fools errand?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm OK with this Chuck. But then it might get tough for some to find material to write about or make videos about when they had limited opportunities.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I find it very interesting that those who were so against any changes to sheep hunting are pushing so hard to get a muzzelloader season.I guess there's nothing like looking out for your own interests above those of others.

There is no need for a muzzelloader season in Alberta,we have some of the best hunting seasons as they now stand.Just because they have all these different season some where else is no reason to change things.Its kind of like everyone else is jumping of the cliff so we should too!
No hag my stand on the sheep issue was in my best interests and don't even pretend to spew that you put others interests ahead of yours LOL!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzleBow View Post
May as well sell all the guns and buy some golf clubs.

With Argo Quest behind the average hunter he won't be able to afford to hunt!
Aww envy, how cute!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

I vote all Bighorn move to archery season.

Might solve alot of issues with Bighorn populations and folks will have to go out and buy archery equipment too.

Maybe we could include that spear season in this like Qballs suggested.....DOH.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Aww envy, how cute!
I do envy your show. Mostly envious of how it remains on the air with such great programming like the Doe Slam. I wonder if extended seasons and sweeping changes might get us the Bolt slam with a crossbow or long range mulie doe hunting with an inline.

Good dead air to go take a number 2 while waiting for Shockey or other decent programs though...
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

Sorry to all the rational members that I bit on this - I'll leave it to the Alberta's Super Hunter duo to sort it all out for you and I'll retire form the thread

MB
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Or there are people who actually LIKE using a new weapon, gosh what a remarkable idea.
And there are people who like their cake and like to get paid to eat it to.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Is it not a bit hypocrtical to support the bow season, as season that gives special privilages to those with a specialized weapon at the exclusion of others and not support a muzzleloaders season? Both seasons have a large lobby and a large precedent in North America. How can you support one and not the other?

Again, doesn't it seem a bit hypocritical to support the use of modern compound bows with all their gadgets?
Actually it does not seem hypothetical - the bow season is already here in the province, whether I like it or not doesn't matter, I will not be successful in getting it taken away.
IIRC, one of the reasons for the bow season is that harvest numbers are relatively low, there is a definite disadvantage compared to rifle, or muzzleloader for that matter.
These low harvest numbers also allow for some hunting of some species during the rut - elk for example, although I do not know enough about the rational for the bow season.
I have not been hunting long enough to know what happened before there was a bow season, I started hunting in my mid 20's.

I just see a reduction in opportunity, given out to those who choose to buy another "firearm". I don't see enough of a difference between a muzzleloader and a firearm, and people are free to use them right now during the general season.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

I think you've got me confused with another guy with sheep in his name
Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I'm OK with this Chuck. But then it might get tough for some to find material to write about or make videos about when they had limited opportunities.
Actually I proposed the idea first.... Just thinking of what's best for all Alberta hunters.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 PM

As many have said in regards to other changes that were protested greatly,whats the problem with the way things are?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Jump forward the present; we have 2 minority user groups with no formal association that I can see and they get the ear of SRD to such a degree that inclusion of the crossbow in the archery season and a separate season for muzzleloaders is on the table? How did these items jump the queue yet something that will benefit ALL hunters; Sunday hunting is still not province wide? If you want to create more opportunity for all hunters, regardless of what weapon you choose, well here it is!

?

So AFGA should have no formal voice or their voice should only be limited to gun hunters? It seems to me they represent a wide variety of hunters. Considering the number of members they represent, I hardly see it as jumping the queue.

Not that I'm advocating it but wouldn't eliminating the archery season all together benefit ALL hunters more than a few more Sunday opportunities?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Actually I proposed the idea first.... Just thinking of what's best for all Alberta hunters.
You can have all the credit for it you want.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I do envy your show. Mostly envious of how it remains on the air with such great programming like the Doe Slam. I wonder if extended seasons and sweeping changes might get us the Bolt slam with a crossbow or long range mulie doe hunting with an inline.

Good dead air to go take a number 2 while waiting for Shockey or other decent programs though...
Ah good old jealousy how refreshing! Always good to vilify and condemn those who disagree with you! That is all this is guido, just a difference of opinion. Is it important that mine is the same as the majority.? Yeah I guess it is.
Closed Thread