Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Too many hunters are lazy idiots, that's why many landowners turn people down and have a negative opinion of hunters and hunting. A short drive around where I live during November will quickly prove this, every field has truck tracks in it, and the roads are full of hunters quite a few who don't know who owns the land and don't care either. Most people are too lazy to walk anymore and drive everywhere. Last fall someone shot one of my mother in laws horses and I found a dead cow moose with quad tracks going up to it, left to rot in the bush. Most times when I have been denied permisson to hunt, the landowner usually had a bunch of stories of people poaching on their land, leaving gates open,driving through crops or causing some other type of trouble. The bad hunters definitly ruin things for the rest of us. Everyone hunting in a new area should have an md map and a phonebook, asking permission and showing a little respect is the least a person can do. Not everyone you ask is going to say yes, but its their land so its up to them. Nobody in town wants people burning donuts on their lawn or throwing out their garbage but its the same thing when it happens on farmland. ps. I hunt and own land
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM

Too many hunters are lazy idiots, that's why many landowners turn people down and have a negative opinion of hunters and hunting. A short drive around where I live during November will quickly prove this, every field has truck tracks in it, and the roads are full of hunters quite a few who don't know who owns the land and don't care either. Most people are too lazy to walk anymore and drive everywhere. Last fall someone shot one of my mother in laws horses and I found a dead cow moose with quad tracks going up to it, left to rot in the bush. Most times when I have been denied permisson to hunt, the landowner usually had a bunch of stories of people poaching on their land, leaving gates open,driving through crops or causing some other type of trouble. The bad hunters definitly ruin things for the rest of us. Everyone hunting in a new area should have an md map and a phonebook, asking permission and showing a little respect is the least a person can do. Not everyone you ask is going to say yes, but its their land so its up to them. Nobody in town wants people burning donuts on their lawn or throwing out their garbage but its the same thing when it happens on farmland. ps. I hunt and own land
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 AM

Default csummer79....where to begin?

Here is a little tidbit I would like to share with you: I am a hunter, NOT A LANDOWNER!

So all of that stuff you posted, which I can only assume was directed at me, did absolutely nothing but expose you as the exact type of "hunter" (and I use the term reluctantly) that landowners do not want coming to their door and would love to report to a passing warden! If reading this entire thread has taught you nothing, who am I to assume that I can enlighten you any further? You apparently have all the answers...

I do not have any interest in getting into a pi$$ing match with you...it will go nowhere. But before I go, I would ask that you do two things:

1) Don't hide behind anonymity. Please sign your name so that all of the landowners that have read what you've said will know who you are. If you truly believe in what you've stated, you should be able to stand behind your word. I do...

2) When you get charged in the future (and I hope you do), please get back to us and let us know how your "I don't give a *****" attitude works for ya...good luck with that!

Dean

PS...dope plants?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:23 AM

Default that guy was hilarious

Well said from all the above posts in regards to csummer stuff....That is exactly why hunting gets a bad rap.......People don't care anymore...his little bit about cows *** on the land...hmmm I guess he does not eat beef. I bet he believes meat comes from the grocery store. You know it doesn't matter what anyone does,or how they do it, there is always someone there to ruin it.
Anyways guys I hope all the young hunters that read his stuff, are not persuaded by his thoughts...
That fenced up thing got to me too...who the heck is he....does he even know why farmers did that in the first place? WOW what a fella......
Anyways guys hope all of you read my post about how to get permission, you can get anything if you just put a little effort into it...
Have a great hunt everyone!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Wow....... I'm Impressed. I'm almost surprised at how people make it through life with attitudes like csummer. Take your mentality down to the states and see how those folks feel about tresspassing. PLease, at least we wont be hearing from you anytime aftwer that. This post in its entirety has been agreat wealth of info. But leave it to a few *******s to come stink it up.

Good posts Jack&7.(off topic) Have you considered Bowhunting?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
Wow....... I'm Impressed. I'm almost surprised at how people make it through life with attitudes like csummer. Take your mentality down to the states and see how those folks feel about tresspassing. PLease, at least we wont be hearing from you anytime aftwer that. This post in its entirety has been agreat wealth of info. But leave it to a few *******s to come stink it up.

Good posts Jack&7.(off topic) Have you considered Bowhunting?
Thanks...

But even though your question about bowhunting may seem to be off topic...it isn't. I had an interesting conversation the other day with a guy about hunting and he was telling me that it is WAAAAY easier to get permission from somebody if you are shooting bow as opposed to rifle or muzzleloader.

I could see the logic in that: I don't know many road hunters that would do it with a bow (never say never)! Probably a lot less hunters in general out and about and I imagine that a landowner might be a little more receptive because of that. Not to mention the chances are less of their animals, equipment, houses, signs, etc. getting shot up. Plus...I wonder if some landowners are in that "Oh no...it's hunting season again" state of mind during the bow season as much as they would be in November?

So the long answer to your short question is "No I haven't done it yet...but I am really considering it!"

Can any of the landowners here provide any insight on this: who is more likely to get permission easier? The bowhunter, muzzleloader or the rifle hunter (of course, considering all things are equal in terms of attitude, etc.)?

Thanks...
Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
csummer79

[QUOTE=Jack&7;266925]Here is a little tidbit I would like to share with you: [B]I am a hunter, 777

Last edited by csummer79; 02-19-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
csummer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by troller View Post
We have a section so from one land owner to another,

If you have that much land in that area and do not give out permission, what the heck do you think is going to happen with the public land near yours? Lots of hunters out there that don't own land ya know.
awsome bud see my quotes arent there to badmouth landowners but my thoughts exactly if you have lots of land why not allow hunters? if you have lots and dont give permission of course hunters will tresspass. Why? because thats were the game is. Like i said before my grandfather owns lots of land and has signs posting HUNTING ALLOWED lots of game there and sometimes someone drives on his fields of leaves garbage but people do that even if their not hunting most hunters are respectful so to this land owner i say great attitude
Old 02-16-2009, 02:37 PM
csummer79

[QUOTE=DairyMan7;266951]777

Last edited by csummer79; 02-19-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 PM
csummer79

Last edited by csummer79; 02-19-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
csummer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack&7 View Post
thanks...

But even though your question about bowhunting may seem to be off topic...it isn't. I had an interesting conversation the other day with a guy about hunting and he was telling me that it is waaaay easier to get permission from somebody if you are shooting bow as opposed to rifle or muzzleloader.

I could see the logic in that: I don't know many road hunters that would do it with a bow (never say never)! Probably a lot less hunters in general out and about and i imagine that a landowner might be a little more receptive because of that. Not to mention the chances are less of their animals, equipment, houses, signs, etc. Getting shot up. Plus...i wonder if some landowners are in that "oh no...it's hunting season again" state of mind during the bow season as much as they would be in november?

So the long answer to your short question is "no i haven't done it yet...but i am really considering it!"

can any of the landowners here provide any insight on this: Who is more likely to get permission easier? The bowhunter, muzzleloader or the rifle hunter (of course, considering all things are equal in terms of attitude, etc.)?

Thanks...

Last edited by csummer79; 02-19-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 AM

great thread. something that might have some tangible value to hunters that don't own land. Also shows how stupid some people are.

First, in order to discuss this semi-intelligently, we need to understand that deeded land means, the deed holder owns it. He/she owns it. That means they control access to it-NO EXCEPTIONS. Being and albertan, or canadian, or whatever gives you no rights to that land. You may own a share of wildlife, but you can't hunt it without access. If you don't get this, you are part of the problem. If you don't like landowner rules such as "leave the moose alone", then go hunt crown land.
defending tresspass by saying, 'of course hunters are going to tresspass' is like saying, 'if you own a nice car, or course people are going to steal it.' does a great job of showing how ignorant you are.
Until our govt. passes legislation forcing access on private land. The law is the law. If you don't abide by it, you are part of the problem.

As a landowner, and hunter, here is what i like to see. Honesty, sincerity, respect and FOLLOW THE RULES. there is a reason that hunting is better on deeded land. Most of it isn't pummelled by the public.
Any land we've hunted, we always offer the landowner some meat. If you can find or make reallly good sausage, pepperoni or jerky, you will have trouble finding someone who doesn't appreciate it. Finally, if you are very serious, ask the landowner if you can help out. fixing fence isn't rocket science but it is a never ending job.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM

very nice treand. love to hunt i am to a land owner i own 273 acr . when i hunt on some ones eles is land i use it like it was my on with respact i dont post my land but if hunters wana hunt its ok with me if they stop by n tell me n leave it the way it was when they got there than i dont have a problem with anybody. but here is the catch!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant stand it when a land owner post his land on every old post thats there no hunting n trasspassing no foot acsess BUT ON THE OTHER HAND HUNTS ON EVERYBODYS ELSE IS LAND WOW THAT JUST BLOWS ME AWAY PEOPLE LIKE THAT.SO PPL WHAT CAN YOU DO ?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:55 PM

one thing the hunter might want is the cell phone/ phone number of the farmer/rancher who gave him permission to hunt.
just in case the hunter sees something wrong going on.

also i have gotten in shyte with a rancher when i closed a gate that was down ... he was moving cattle. if i had his cell phone i could have checked before i closed it. i didn't lose permission, just learned something tho.

i am always wary about leaving gates down/open , in case i get blamed for it.
i always let the owner know if i see truck/atv tracks on his land. i'm always hoofing it so they know it's not me.

kind of annoying when you have walked a ways only to see billy bob tearing across the field. but that's life i guess. no difference between that and crown land when an atv goes by.

i have since left alberta and moved to manitoba ... but the issues are the same here. but no problem so far.

a great thread by the way.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 PM

Default Use respect signs

The use respect signs are great however the problem I seem to have in MANY areas of the province is that, the signs are up but there is not info written on the No names, phones numbers, adresses ect. I do run across a few with the info posted and make contact. But I would say in my experiance that about 75% of the use respect are blank and have no info, or some of the signs just have a name on the with no contact info. Just a thought and sharing my only problem with the signs.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM

Default landownersw rights

I personally have permission on some great land to hunt ,the land is lease and gated although most guys feel a gate is only there to rip down or even better cut the tree's all around and make a new road. The farmer that has the lease is sick of fixing or blocking access but its neccesary because the same idiots that go around the gates ,think its fun to keep field gates open and let the cattle into area's that are blocked to them .
Anyway ,my other point is I do have my own acerage on a good section in 332 where i have access to good hunting ,even on my own piece although i prefer to go into the forestry to hunt , My land is posted no shooting and private property .I have kids and pets .
I had a mule draw for the area and didnt have a chance to get much time in ,On the last weekend of the season I arrive at my cabin to find a gut pile in the middle of my driveway only 30 yards in front of my doorstep along with a good chunck of mulie hide.
Talk about being idiots and wanting to give me a message.
I know why farmers and landowners wont give permission to idiots from the city.\
It seems none of them know how to respect what someone else has.
And no i dont think i own all the wildlife on my property ,I own the right to keep everyone off my property for whatever reason i want to.
That means if there is a deer or elk on my place ,i own him until he leaves the property. It doesnt mean you can shoot him from outside the fence or from the road and drag him off when im not looking.

Same goes for just crossing my land to get to the other side . private means just that .. would i come to your house in the city and walk across your lawn and through your garden ,jump your fence in the backyard to get to the pub down the alley. If i did you would have a problem.
I paid good money for my paradise and i have a right to keep ass holes off of it.
I did have a few guys looking for permission in december for elk cow hunting and would have given permission if they would have spent the time a day or 2 before the hunt to look for permission. Not 10 am in the morning while they drove the roads on the day of the hunt.
I only see lazy road hunters who dont give a crap about the hunt .only the kill.
I spend alot of time scouting area,s i want to hunt and look for permission long before the morning i am going to hunt.

If you wanna hunt on my land ya better want to buy the whole property because thats the only way you are getting on it.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Default No tresspassing

I have just joined your forum and dare to ask anyone out there if they have had serious problems with illegal trespass snowmobilers/quadders. I live adjacent to a "green belt" area and altho I only own 10 acres they just don't seem to understand what a NO TRESSPASS sign really means. Its really tough to plant seedlings. I have talked with local county and RCMP but tresspassers vanish before legal types can show up. Other than resorting to "red neck" policing does anyone have any sure fire read on the rules and regs in this area of Alberta law. By the way I love to fish, and I have lots of four-legged critters which cross my property and I cannot affort to resort to 8' game fencing. I have posted some 5-6 signs in a 600' frontage. Thank you
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
Talk about being idiots and wanting to give me a message.
I know why farmers and landowners wont give permission to idiots from the city.\
It seems none of them know how to respect what someone else has.
C'mon now.......Theres idiots in the country too. I take offence to that. Theres idiots everywhere.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
C'mon now.......Theres idiots in the country too. I take offence to that. Theres idiots everywhere.
that's like saying.."not all Muslims are terrorists...but..so far all terrorists are Muslim"
Land Owner
Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 PM

–noun 1. a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.
2. a person who terrorizes or frightens others.
3. (formerly) a member of a political group in Russia aiming at the demoralization of the government by terror.
4. an agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.

Those country kids stealing that farmers quad could be considered terrorists, Mr. Li ......the decapatator, could be considered a terrorist.C'mon, I'm thinking you were trying to be funny but I'm not really laughing. And if you weren't trying to be funny.............Have a nice day. I think you coulda done a little better then that.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 PM

I have read this whole thread and have to agree it is a good one and is of a topic that should be coverd more often.Through out there is alot of good points covered here and the best one sofar is respect.I have lived out in the country most of my life and find there is good and bad on both sides.The hunter that goes where he wants when he want,or the farmer that complains about the crop he lost to wildlife but wont let any one hunt them.One thing I find funny is how both sides say they own or have the right to wildlife.No one dose the wildlife is owned by the alberta government and untill you buy a tag do you have a right to hunt them how the regulations allow you to.As a land owner I would give any body permission if they showed respect and abide by the rules set out in the reg's.

Last edited by fogducker; 04-06-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Default Consider the Landowner

I have had remarkable success in receiving permission from landowners, and some have become very close friends over the years. Here are some of the guidlines I adhere to:
1. NEVER ask permission the same day you would like to hunt. Owners are more attracted to a hunter who takes the time and does the planning to seek spots in advance.
2. ALWAYS inform the owner if you are seeking permission for more than just yourself.
3. If you, like me, are older and will be hunting with a child or grandchild, ALWAYS take that child with you when asking permission. Not only do you teach your young hunter the proper way to ask permission, but many landowners also find youngsters irresistable! We always budget at least an hour at our favorite turkey spot for coffee and cookies with my grandson and the owners.
4. Since many owners have friends and family hunting the property, I try to arrange the hunting days if possible when family members won't be there. Some have traditional hunting times for them all to get together.
5. I always discuss vehicle access and preferred areas for us to park. In one deer hunting spot, they like me to park in a specific spot, which they can see from the house, so they always know when I am on site. No checking in required.
6. Don't ignore landowners during the off season. I try to visit them several times during the year if they are within reasonable distance. Every time, I thank them for their hospitality, and let them know how much it means to us to be able to hunt their property.
7. Try to give a small appreciation gift. After returning from Alaska, I found that the owners in my locale loved receiving some packages of Alaskan salmon and halibut, we all being inland dwellers. One landowner loved cigars and I got him a gift certificate at one of the online Cigar Stores. Summertime is perfect for these contacts.

Well, this is a bit long-winded, but they are all things that seem to work for me. Good hunting!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
OK , heres my 1 cent , when we as hunters go to your house we are asking permission for ACCESS , ACCESS , ACCESS to hunt , thats all , what eirks me off is that landowners dictate to us what we can shoot and what we cant shoot , even tho the Govt says that Moose are open in a certain zone , l,ve came across landowners who say , you can shoot the deer but leave the Moose alone , or shoot bucks but no does , or vise versa.
Who are you to decide what game l shoot , thats not the point , we,re asking for access.
Also why is there only Range patrol in hunting season , never see you out there in the summer when l tresspass to pick up a beer can , but hunting season your all out there making sure no one shoots anything on your place before you do , and if you do let somone in , you tell them what or what not to shoot.
The game is not yours , just say yes or no , we dont need to be told what we can or cannot shoot , you are not the Govt or F&W.

What an ignorant ******* ! With an attitude like this, is it any wonder landowners deny access to hunters ? The game is not theirs, but the land is. You are a guest on their property, and as such you should be mindful and respectful of their wishes.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
What an ignorant ******* ! With an attitude like this, is it any wonder landowners deny access to hunters ? The game is not theirs, but the land is. You are a guest on their property, and as such you should be mindful and respectful of their wishes.
Really couldnt agree more. If these people were such great hunters they could pull a wayne carlton and call the animals to the other side of the fence. And I can understand where the landowners come from when they dont want people to shoot certain animals. If I owned land nd every day my Gf/wife made breakfast and watched the deer frolic in the yard I wouldnt want some guy coming by and shooting them either! Not because it would bother me but because it would bother the wife. So if your polite, curious and show up in advance time with some knowledge of the area the landowner should ahve no problem letting you on his land.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Default Question regarding tresspasers

My wife and I own a small piece of land in a river valley. We are building a cabin overlooking the river and field beyond. Yesterday while taking a break on the deck, we saw four teenagers walking along the abandoned rail bed through our property. Thinking they were just out for a walk, I said nothing.

Five minutes later my wife calls me and I see the four teenagers at the edge of the river shooting into the water. I called out to them and told them they were on private property and please leave. They ignored me. I then yelled to them to not make me come over there. One of them then pointed his rifle at me. I went into the cabin, grabbed my rifle, walked out on to the deck and fired a shot into the dirt in front of the cabin. The kids got the message and lit out of there like they were running from a grass fire.

Half an hour later, we heard shooting further North of our place, on the river.

Needless to say, my wife roundly chastised me for firing the shot. In hind site I agree with her however, it really ****es me off when people point guns at me.

I have heard others on this thread talk of "charging" someone for trespass. How do I go about this and how difficult is it to make it stick?

If I sound annoyed, I am. Last October we were broken in-to and had $30,000.00 worth of equipment stolen from a locked C-can.

I really hate to do this but next week I am going to post all of the land with no trespass signs.

Comments, criticisms, questions always welcome.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4570 View Post
My wife and I own a small piece of land in a river valley. We are building a cabin overlooking the river and field beyond. Yesterday while taking a break on the deck, we saw four teenagers walking along the abandoned rail bed through our property. Thinking they were just out for a walk, I said nothing.

Five minutes later my wife calls me and I see the four teenagers at the edge of the river shooting into the water. I called out to them and told them they were on private property and please leave. They ignored me. I then yelled to them to not make me come over there. One of them then pointed his rifle at me. I went into the cabin, grabbed my rifle, walked out on to the deck and fired a shot into the dirt in front of the cabin. The kids got the message and lit out of there like they were running from a grass fire.

Half an hour later, we heard shooting further North of our place, on the river.

Needless to say, my wife roundly chastised me for firing the shot. In hind site I agree with her however, it really ****es me off when people point guns at me.

I have heard others on this thread talk of "charging" someone for trespass. How do I go about this and how difficult is it to make it stick?

If I sound annoyed, I am. Last October we were broken in-to and had $30,000.00 worth of equipment stolen from a locked C-can.

I really hate to do this but next week I am going to post all of the land with no trespass signs.

Comments, criticisms, questions always welcome.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem
With what has happened to you, most would be far beyond annoyed. It is deplorable the aggressive lack of respect and almost vandal mentality which so many have for owners and their property. It seems like a sort of class envy, where some resent the fact that an owner has nice property, and individuals want to wreak some kind of vengeance in their minds.

The sad part is that there remain many who are ethical and considerate, but who do find diminishing opportunities because of the acts of fools. There is an undercurrent of kindness in your tone, despite the outrage of what has occurred to you. No one I know can fault you for posting your property in an effort literally of self defense.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
X2 I've watched guys from the small town down the road drive up, hope out and shoot the buck I had my binos on, he was walking towards the fence that seperated my allowed property and my not allowed, when fish and wildlife showed up they started writing my truck info down, i walked down the ridge only to have the 3rd degree about if it was me who shot the deer. the guys had long since left leaving big ruts in the field and a gut pile sitting there. After some calls and the ranchhand who called came over and said it wasnt him it was me. turned out he had a telescope set up and had watched me that morning saw me waiting for that buck to cross the fence and then saw these boys, I know they got them because the guy saw the truck in town with the deer in the back. But still those were guys who grew up out there. so please dont lable all city folk bad.

JR
Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 PM

I am a huge fan on the business card and when people stop by my place I give them my email address and ask them to send mea note that they will be hunting. If I get a note and I hear a gun shot I roll over and go back to sleep, if I have not got a not I am the angry guy in the whitetruck tha is blocking your exit waiting for th copsto arrive. as for if I ask you not to shoot mose it is because I am going and have not had a chance to harvest mine yet. Any one can shoot a deer at my place i want to get a chance to get a moose.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Suspended User

My family owned land in 332 for many years and it seemed like everyone thought they were in the wilderness and it was all government land. We always would find someone driving across hay fields trying to sneak up on the local herd. You may think you are in the middle of nowhere, but usually someone owns that field.
And if I gave 1 person permission, it is for that person, not all his buddies. It only takes one bad case in an area and word spreads, we all know each other and like to shoot the breeze. Also, if the owner is busy don't keep talking and trying, after you are told no, go. Don't **** the farmer off with wasting his day.
If the owner says don't shoot this species, maybe he knows that area better than you, and has an idea on how the numbers are stacked. Might be there are not many moose or Muley around that area.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 PM

Wow, all I can think of - just Wow!

I'm not a hunter, never have been but this is a heck of a thread. Managed to get through the first 2 pages so far but will be finishing it later.

It's great to read the perspectives of the home/land owners and what they have to deal with during the hunting seasons. I can't believe some of the stories you have told but I look forward to reading more

As for fishing, it's never dawned on me to ask for permission to access some of these lakes on private property or with private access. I've always just moved on to a different lake.