Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 10:55 AM

Cool East Pit Lake Fly Fishing

Hey Guys,

I have been fly fishing at East Pit Lake for awhile now. To my dismay, I have not really caught much on patterns like leeches, damsel/dragon nymphs, dries, chronomoids or even small streamers. This lake has just got me scratching my head.

Any advice?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:43 AM

corn works
Old 06-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
corn works
Problem solved:

Old 06-23-2018, 05:50 PM

Balanced leach, unretrieved, under an indicator, with a 2-4 lb fluorocarbon leader/tippet. Yeah it’s bobber fishing with a fly rod but those fish see a lot and the fewer casts/disturbance you make, the better. Have heard if you have a pontoon, hanging a chromomid way down into the deeper parts can be great.

FWIW when I did a lot of fly fishing, I never did all that well there either. Maybe 1-3 strikes per outing, and if I got one to the net it was a good day. Never had problems getting double digits elsewhere. IMO it’s a hard place to flyfish successfully from the bank.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:43 PM

This place has been very slowly particularly this season. Spoons, spinners, bait and flies had all had poor success. Spent a lot of time here because it's close to the city. The secenry is very nice, however, and if you enjoy hiking you can around the entire lake. So for that reason alone I gave it a thumbs up, just don't expect to catch much on an average day.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Gotta match the hatch. If you can catch one and safely stomach pump it will tell you lots. So will walking a shoreline. Wrong size, wrong shade, wrong stage, wrong presentation can further complicate things. Each water body is unique what might work there may not work here.

I learned a valuable lesson one day out on the Bow. I spent all my time casting flies. Met this dude one day and he showed me what I wasn’t doing. Now 1/3 of my fishing time is investigating and studying what’s going on before I tie something on. I fish less minutes than before but catch 5x more.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Thanks guys for your responses!

I have had some good results matching the hatch last year but it seems slower this year. I am looking into getting a belly boat so I can control my fly location better. It seems like the fish likes to hangout about 70-80 ft from shore, safely out of casting range.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:49 PM

Not fly fishing related but I was there earlier in the week a caught one using the trout playdough stuff. Was my first Trout ever caught.

Bringing it in was a race against the seagull trying to steal it. Stupid bird.

Tags
east pit, fishing, fly fishing alberta