Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
The "packing" industry has been that way since it began and I KNOW a lot about JB and some of the others; BUT, nobody in Victoria seems to give a s**t. I won't go into details here and there are certain GOs, such as BM and a couple of others who are just as bad.

There was one SOB from Europe, actually two, that should never have been allowed into Canada and one was eventually forced out of "packing", while the other pr**k, a Vietnam vet, may still be in it.

We really NEED a complete re-organization of the entire GO business in B.C. and enough dedicated COs to supervise it properly, but, I ain't holding my breath with the current government. I would like to see young CANADIANS owning and operating these outfits and dealings among them and resident hunters be cooperative and mutually beneficial.

The hunting in much of B.C., while "good" could be much more productive if properly managed and this would benefit all of us as Canadians and hunters, IMHO.
To me the outfitters that I hae been around in Northern B.C work pretty close with Co's on conservation issues and land management. They help with and do prescribed burns in areas for wild life enhancement and they also do burns in areas to hold horses near camps and out of the areas these animals winter and feed. They also really watch there harvest numbers to avoid over hunting of areas. They are involved in every commity there is to have a say in how the country is handled. Some of these outfitters have traplines in their areas also so as to help in predator control. Sure every system could be better but I think this one isnt that bad. JMO

And Im sure there are lots of good honest packers too. Cant lump them all together.

Im not sure what the rest of BC is like.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco View Post
I just herd that folding is burning, That just across the road isn't it.
sounds like the fire isnt in Drinkalls area but north farther. Around where the Smith river runs into the Liard River.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
sounds like the fire isnt in Drinkalls area but north farther. Around where the Smith river runs into the Liard River.
That is correct. 20,000 + h.

http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/Wild...normal#Proj250
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 AM

I dont know about everyone else but I'm so excited to get back up north I'm already loosing sleep and we dont leave till the end of June.
I got a sweet line up of hunts to keep me busy. I leave July 1st for the Yukon to guide for Dan Reynolds, Dalls, Moose, Caribou and Grizzly. That wraps up around the 20th of Oct. Depending if I can get a Yukon moose hunt lined up for myself I will be back in Ab to hunt the last few days of the Sheep Season for myself. Then Starting Nov 1st it up to North AB to guide whitetails for two weeks. Mid Nov finds me hunting whitetails in Sask. But by the last week in Nov I need to be in Las Vegas to guide for Hide and Seek Outfitters for Desert Sheep. I'm in Vegas at the moment Negotiating the desert sheep hunts. After that fun ends round beginning of Feb,if the oil patch dont pick up screw it I'm done with college, I might just fly to New Zealand an find something there to hunt down.
Gosh I hope my girlfriend doesnt dump me....
Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleclimber View Post
I dont know about everyone else but I'm so excited to get back up north I'm already loosing sleep and we dont leave till the end of June.
I got a sweet line up of hunts to keep me busy. I leave July 1st for the Yukon to guide for Dan Reynolds, Dalls, Moose, Caribou and Grizzly. That wraps up around the 20th of Oct. Depending if I can get a Yukon moose hunt lined up for myself I will be back in Ab to hunt the last few days of the Sheep Season for myself. Then Starting Nov 1st it up to North AB to guide whitetails for two weeks. Mid Nov finds me hunting whitetails in Sask. But by the last week in Nov I need to be in Las Vegas to guide for Hide and Seek Outfitters for Desert Sheep. I'm in Vegas at the moment Negotiating the desert sheep hunts. After that fun ends round beginning of Feb,if the oil patch dont pick up screw it I'm done with college, I might just fly to New Zealand an find something there to hunt down.
Gosh I hope my girlfriend doesnt dump me....

Sounds like a busy fall