Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Default Need some Help/Advice

I just recently won two trail cameras at our company gold tournament and needless to say I'm excited to go and put them up. I'm looking for some advice on getting them in the best postion. How high off the ground do you set them? and how can I get the best use out of two cameras? should I set them up in different places or close together? Any info would be great I'm hoping to go out tomorrow and set at least one up.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Wish I could win some cameras! I usually set mine up about 4 - 5 foot off the ground. I like to try and put them on pine trees as the branches above help keep rain and snow off them. The best thing you can do is get out there and look for game sign, trails, tracks, scat. If you can find a well used trail set one up on there but make sure you find a tree that is a few feet back from the trail. You dont want your camera to be really close to the trail. Your manual should tell you what the range of the camera is. I usually try and angle it a bit so im not shooting directly accross the trail.I like to have the camera slightly looking up or down the trail. If you can find a place where you think the game animals are hanging out theb this is a good place to set up more then one camera. I also throw a bit of rolled oates and cubed alfalfa in front on the camera just to get the animal to stop. Some camers have a 3 or 4 second delay from the time they sense motion to the time they take the picture. if the animal is walking fast it usually results in a nice picture of their butt. I have attached a picture of a deer I got on one of my cameras last fall. Notice how I have the camer angled towards the trail. I also try and set it up so that the sun will not be shining into the camera. That way your pictures will be of better quality. My cameras have a flash mode and a LED mode. I usually just use the flash mode and it never seems to bother the wildlife. The best thing you can do is get out there and find what works and what doesnt. Also I recomend you have a large memory card. You never know how many pictures your going to get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP00032.jpg (107.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP00051.jpg (90.4 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-08-2009, 01:25 PM

wow cool pics. Thanks for the advice. The spots I'm going to try are crown land. Does anybody have bad experences with people vandalising cameras that they have left out?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 PM

I have had three cameras stolen off my own land. Mostly I think it trespassers who find the cameras and realize they just got their picture taken. I had one guy actually cut the tree down to get my camera off. Some people are stupid. The cameras are password protected so if they get stolen they are really getting nothing. Most cameras come with anti theft devices but they dont work very well. Iv never tried a cam on public land.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

Try and avoid direct sunlight on the camera as ive had it set off my cameras. And as stated above I try and set it looking up a trail not across, seem to get alot better pics this way.

Last edited by sheepguide; 06-08-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM

I use my cams on public land and have not had any problems.I dont think anyone has ever found them though.I use cable lock to lock mine down but It is more to keep it firmly attached to the tree.

I set mine about 5 feet off the ground and make sure it is straight and no branches in front of it.I also like to put mine pointing up a trail and then you will always get a pic of the animal coming or going on the trail.

I always set up,make sure it is on and then I walk from all diffrent angles on the trail and make sure it is working.I hunch over and pretend to be an animal.After I take 5 or 6 then i check the pics to see how they are.This will tell you if the cam is staight and if you need to move it up and down on the tree.Sucks to get pics of elk or deer with there horns cut off.

I hope your cams are tough because mine have been used as rubbing posts for bears,chew toys for deer and elk and a comfy spot for squirrels to poop on.

Here are a couple of mine ..

Here is one of the chewers..

This next one was a great surprise as I hadn't seen this buck before.I decided to let him grow for one more as he was still a little young
Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM

Great pics..
Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 PM

So I have to laugh. I don't know if its such a good idea or not but I thought what the heck. Myabe people can tell me otherwise, but I decide to go out and set up my trail camera and I figure the dogs need the exercise so I take them with me. Long story short, as I am attaching my camera to the tree I know I'm in a good spot cause as a turn to call my dogs all I see is a whitetail flagging and my two retarts in hot pursuit!
Just wondering if I'm scaring deer away from the site when I take my dogs with me so early in the summer? If not when should I start leaving them at home as to not leave a bunch of scent lying around.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
This next one was a great surprise as I hadn't seen this buck before.I decided to let him grow for one more as he was still a little young
Good heavens! Sweet pic, BrownBear. Sometimes the biggest bruisers are the ones you never knew were there...

Have fun with your new cameras, Simmered! Hope you get some great photos and find some good spots.

Stinky
Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Good heavens! Sweet pic, BrownBear. Sometimes the biggest bruisers are the ones you never knew were there...

Have fun with your new cameras, Simmered! Hope you get some great photos and find some good spots.

Stinky
HaHa actually I snuck that last one in as a joke...I think the pic was taken in Texas from a copter
Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
HaHa actually I snuck that last one in as a joke...I think the pic was taken in Texas from a copter
Argh! You got me.

Good one!

Stinky