Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Default New hunter looking to tag along

Hello All,

Not sure how to ask this without making myself look silly, but here goes.

I have not been hunting since I was about 12 with my grandfather, which incidentally was about 28 years ago. And outside of the one duck I got and never did find, the only trophies I ever took was a really fat gopher.

Recently I just got back into shooting - both rifle/shotgun and bow - and would love the opportunity to tag along with some experienced hunters because I honestly don't know anyone who hunts anymore.

I would be grateful for all opportunities - geese and ducks; coyote hunts; big game. I would even be happy just to be on the stalk and learn the tricks of the trade this year out.

Just to give you a bit of background. I love the outdoors. Can hike long distances with heavy loads. Not sure how to word the next part, but my ideals would be to learn the intricacies of hunting. By this I mean the calling, stalking, patient style of hunting skills; reading the signs; etc. I hope that makes sense. I guess what I mean is that I don't particularly want to drive down a cut road and jump out of the truck and shoot a deer at 400yards and drag it up the bank with a winch. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I am more interested in learning the fine art of hunting and if I don't manage to bag anything, I am okay with that as well.

As far as what I am up for. Definitely would like to go out for ducks, geese and pheasant. Am up for coyote cull or shoot if a farmer needs his herds protected. And will tag along for anything from antelope to elk to bison; bow hunting or rifle. Can travel from and to anywhere and can arrange time to suit your schedule.

Sorry for the long rant. Just wanted to throw as much information as I could out there, but I'm sure I missed something. Please let me know if I have.

So hopefully there are a few of you who wouldn't mind taking a rookie along. I promise you that I am ethical; well practiced with gun and bow; pay my own way; easy to get along with; and have an intense desire to learn. You won't be disappointed.

Regards,
Darren

PS - If I've made a blunder in some way, please let me know
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 PM

Welcome aboard Darren. I myself am new to hunting as well. I've been on the forum since October last year and in the beginning, had no idea where to start. Not sure how long you've been on AO forum, but I have learned so much from the good people on here. You should think about coming to the next Calgary hunter's get together. It will be the first Saturday in July at Boston Pizza lounge on Mcleod Trail. I have met a few really good people and one that I hunt, camp, fish with.

I was out four or five times for Spring bear, but we had no luck. I'm thinking we didn't go far enough North. Anyway's, if you're up for meeting some of us, here is the thread for the Calgary New / Experienced Hunters get togethers.
I'll be posting the new date soon.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=27704

Good luck,

Doug
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

dont feel silly, I think a ton of us, myself included started hunting because we tagged along for a couple hunts. For me it was cause I had a passing interest and nothing better to do, some came allong for the quad ride, and others like yourself wanted to learn the ropes.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Another option...

http://www.aheia.com/serve_content.c...Time%20Hunters
Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 PM

I'm always willing to take out a new person who wants to learn ethical hunting.I would rather have a part in teaching someone and maby helping them get a first than i would be with bagging my own.I think the best part about it is you want to learn the ethical ways and you are wanting to do it for the enjoyment and not just the kill.I am in no way a pro or a guide and don't always get or even see what I am after but I enjoy the kind of hunting tracking stuff you are asking about.Main thing is practice as much as you can with the bow I try to shoot mine every night a couple months before bow season.I still don't get enough practice in.Send me a pm with more detail about the hunts you want to get in on and we can take it from there.