Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2020, 10:20 PM

Default Stillwater Catch Rate and shallow chironomids

Hi all,

The last few days I have been fishing small Chironomids (size 16-18) under an indicator and having success getting fish to the boat; however, I feel like my catch rate could be greatly improved and my 10 fish days could turn into 30 or more. I either am too late setting the hook or within two seconds the fish throws the hook. I feel like I land 20-30% of the fish that strike one of my flies. Is this similar to others? Especially when using small flies? I pay close attention to keeping a tight line, having a firm hook set, and watching my indicator, so i feel like my mechanics are right on, just need more practice setting the hook at the slightest movement of the indicator.

On another note, any tips for fishing Chironomids in shallow water (< 5’ deep)? I was able to hook a few fish in deeper water, but seemed like a lot of fish feeding on Chironomids near the surface in shallow water, but I found it difficult to catch fish shallow. A throat sample indicated fish feeding on a couple of different chironomid sizes and colours, so it was difficult to key in and get consistent action.

Thanks!