Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM

Default perch in cow lake?

Wondering if its worth fishing there. Are the perch on average mostly keepers?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Cow Lake Perch

Depends on what you call average. If you use just smelts then yes the perch are worth keeping. If you use maggots then you get a lot of little ones that won't leave your hook alone and you might get one or two average ones through the hole. Average to me would be 10-12".
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 PM

Sage Is That 10-12" Inches Or Ounces
Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 PM

I've seen some decent sized perch in there. Have caught lots of little ones, but also some good 10 - 12 inchers too. Some nice footballs.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 AM

big d, that would be inches.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
TundraBuck

Lots of bigger fish but you need to experiment with what works and what doesn't. Like posted above if your going to use maggots don't even go, because your small to big fish ratio will be something like 15:1

If you go to Ram River Sports in rocky or some fishing store, get the perch sized minnows for bait, or even big shiners and rip them in half, or use whole ones if you can see some real good ones down below you. My biggest out of there is 14 3/4 inches and lots between 12 and there too.

Let us know how you do.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Hey Guys,

I've been out a few times this year and my largest is 13". I've just used a wire worm and maggot with pretty good luck. Yes you have to keep pulling away from the small ones but you do get the big ones in from time to time.

Tundra, I've never used minnows for perch before. Are you just putting them on a small jig? I wanna give it a try in the next day or two. Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
TundraBuck

Yes I actually put them on something called a teetot which is very much like a large teardrop. i have also heard that small jigging rapalas in perch pattern catch the bigguns there too.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM

I always just use a plain hook. I find the bigger guys attack any lure or jig I use and ignore the minnow.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Gone Hunting

maggots work fine for me. I just jig a green or yellow teardrop covered with maggots. The small to large ratio is like 5:1 but it doesnt matter cause theyll bite all day anyways. Last year we got two limits of 10 inchers and up, but I havn't been there since.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
TundraBuck

moosehunter3-0 you must not be seeing a lot of fish then, because we usually get 15-18 per 1 keeper.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Access

How do you find the way on to Cow Lake? I went to the main entrance but the gate was closed and couldn't find any other access.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:19 PM

need2fish, what direction are you coming from? There's a boat launch down the road a bit from the main gate, but it's poorly marked....last couple times I've been out there was no sign at all. Just a tiny road, easily missed in the summer, let alone the winter.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
moosehunter3-0 you must not be seeing a lot of fish then, because we usually get 15-18 per 1 keeper.
how is two limits not a lot of fish?

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 02-08-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
how is two limits not a lot of fish?
I think he was talking about the ratio...
Old 02-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Thanks Mish. I came through Rocky and turned at the 7/11, went over some railway tracks and the bridge then came to the campground sign and turned in to the closed gates. Can't remember the highway #.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 PM

If you're going through Rocky to get to Cow, the turn off is BEFORE the gated campground, and I know for sure there was no sign when I was coming from that direction the last few times I came from that direction.

I can't think of any landmarks before it. There's a private road for some electrical company (I think) about 1km before the turn off to Cow. Just drive slow and keep your eyes open and you should see it. Sorry can't be of more help
Old 02-08-2008, 05:37 PM

I think I was on highway 752 to Cow Lake
Old 02-08-2008, 05:41 PM

Thanks again. I think that helps. I only had a couple of hours left in the day yesterday and tried to find the access on the other side of the main gate. Maybe next time. It was a nice drive out there anyway and I didn't have to clean fish afterwards.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 PM

need2fish, when you are coming from Rocky you will see that hall (community center) on your left (east) side of the highway. As you pass that the highway bends to the right and your turn is on the left. But I'm not sure if its the first bend or the second bend past the hall. Take the bends slow and you will see the little road on your left. But if you do go to far just turn around and you will see that sign that says "day use area" I believe. But if you go slow after the hall you should have no problems. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM

There used to be a pepsi box over the post right by the road to Cow. But someone with a plow plowed it over.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 AM
TundraBuck

752 will get you to cow, you'll hit that weird intersection and just keep following it west. If you hit the cow lake store you've gone too far.

moosehunter, I was reffering to the ratio. We get our limit of fish all 11" and up everytime but we usually catch 15 smaller ones (7 - 10 inches) for 1 keeper. Thats what I'm saying find another spot, we always fish right off the cattails in 3 ft of water.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:41 AM

need2fish, I was out today and it is the second bend after the hall.

Tundra, have you been out lately? I was out today but didn't make it out till after two. Never seen anything over 9 inches today and it was really slow. I went left off shore and fished about 6 feet of water. Just wondering if anyones having better luck. We're going out earlier tomorrow though. Any tips? You always fish 3 feet of water?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:23 AM

I always take a right from the boat launch instead of a left. About 4-5 feet of water. Lots of jumbos like to hang out there for some reason.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 AM
TundraBuck

Generally I fish in the same area as Mish just a little shallower. Main thing when you're in that shallow is to be quiet and to not be moving around.

Last edited by TundraBuck; 02-10-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 AM
TundraBuck

Another spot you might want to try is go on at the boat launch, turn left, and follow that shoreline down, it kind of curves so you will bank to the right but keep going down that east shoreline until you find a beaver house, in the summer we have good success there with jumbos.

Let us know how you make out
Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Generally I fish in the same area as Mish just a little shallower. Main thing when you're in that shallow is to be quite and to not be moving around.
So I guess my talking to the footballs about how tasty the minnow is isn't helping?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:48 AM

Thanks guys,

I'll let you know how we make out later today.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 AM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
So I guess my talking to the footballs about how tasty the minnow is isn't helping?
LOL no mish I just mean standing up and shuffling around, you can talk if you're quiet. Hahah I should record myself I say some pretty weird things too lol.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
LOL no mish I just mean standing up and shuffling around, you can talk if you're quiet. Hahah I should record myself I say some pretty weird things too lol.
I'm sure we all have heart to heart talks with the fish about how we'll put them right back, and we just want to admire them out of the water for 10 seconds, when we think no one is listening.

One time at Cow some guy came up to our tent and says, "I hear you're having a bad day, we got our limit, do you want to try our hole?"....guess he heard me yelling at the fish.