Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Arrow Eastern Elk (wmu 234)

Hi All!!

I've been reading posts from this site for a while but this is the first time I've posted a question. I must say, it seems so many people are helpful and that has prompted this question.

I've got an opportunity for an archery elk hunt in WMU 234. One of the areas I should have access to is very near the eastern boundry of Camp Wainwright.

I honestly have no idea what to expect. I've heard in the past that there have been some very nice bulls around but I'm also aware of the CWD issue but I'm not sure if it's impacted the quantity or quality of elk in the area.

I'm not asking for anyones secret spots but I would be very appreciative with general information about elk in the area such as:

1. are there a lot of elk in the area?
2. are there good bulls in the area? if so, what could I expect to see outside of Camp Wainwright property? 300, 325, 350?
3. do the elk in this area get much archery hunting pressure?
4. typically, when does the rut kick into full gear in the area?
5. how has CWD impacted the elk herd?
6. and lastly, any other information you feel would be helpful, maybe even someone to contact.

Thanks so much for any information you might be willing to share.

Bob
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM

I dont know much about the hunt out there, but I did get an email from a guy who killed a couple big bulls. I think one was low 350's and one was in the 360's.

Other than that, cant really help ya out much!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:09 PM

1. are there a lot of elk in the area?
2. are there good bulls in the area? if so, what could I expect to see outside of Camp Wainwright property? 300, 325, 350?
3. do the elk in this area get much archery hunting pressure?
4. typically, when does the rut kick into full gear in the area?
5. how has CWD impacted the elk herd?
6. and lastly, any other information you feel would be helpful, maybe even someone to contact.

Thanks so much for any information you might be willing to share.

Bob [/QUOTE]

I am not sure of the quantity of the elk in the area but know that there are some good bulls in and around the base. CWD has had little to no impact on the elk herd. The Wainwright elk hunt does not even require you to submit heads for testing. If Fish and Wildlife even thought there was a problem you would be submitting heads.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:41 PM

There are quite a few elk in the area, but can be spread out over the 5 WMU's (200, 202, 232, 234 &203). You will need to do some scouting for sure. There were quite a few elk taken last year during the archery season and there were quite a few taken during the rifle season as well. As far as size, you have some of the biggest elk in Alberta in these zones. The Alberta record non-typical bull was taken in 234 10 years ago, I think it scored 444-5/8". Regarding the rut, I have called in bulls as early as the last couple weeks of August. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
CWD has had little to no impact on the elk herd. The Wainwright elk hunt does not even require you to submit heads for testing. If Fish and Wildlife even thought there was a problem you would be submitting heads.
Seems as though they do think there could be a problem....new for this year.......

"Mandatory head submission of elk and deer for CWD testing has been extended to also include WMUs 162, 164, 202, 203, 232, 238,
254, 258 and 728."
Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM

In the States I believe it has affected the elk herd or has transmitted through them as well.It only makes sense to test here for it.I hope they don't find any in the elk but with a smaller herd like what we have compared to the deer numbers,the likelyhood of it showing up in the elk would be slim to none
Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Snetzer I believe that Elk was hit by a Vehicle as well.Lorne Macarthur from Echoglen did the taxidermy.
TJ I had my 234 Elk tested by request even though they were not doing it 2 years ago.
Bootman You will find em but you have to put the time in. Join the tight lipped archery club in Wainwright,those boy's do pretty good.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Seems as though they do think there could be a problem....new for this year.......

"Mandatory head submission of elk and deer for CWD testing has been extended to also include WMUs 162, 164, 202, 203, 232, 238,
254, 258 and 728."
Rats! Thats why I do not post much on these forums!LOL! I was going off of last years Wainwright elk hunt and it was optional to submit the heads or not. Did not realize it was going to be introduced this year. Sorry I sure hope they (fish and game) don't start ransacking the elk herds to try and thin them down like they did with our deer herds a couple of years ago. In a worst case scenario I hope they just open up more options for hunters if the CWD becomes a problem. IMO
Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 AM
sheephunter

LOL....it's hard to keep up with all the regulation changes each year.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 AM

During my hunt in that WMU I was buzzed so low by a plane I wanted to duck. Apparently, that is how some people in the area elk hunt. Not sure what season they start this method but their technique didn't help my success.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM

That area was a gong show last year. We were very successful in calling in multitudes of elk hunters, but not so on the elk. Elk were very call shy as a result. My experience was they stayed inside the base where they were quite safe.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 PM

rinky dink little herds here and there, not very consistent results. Better off muley hunting and hoping you'll trip over one.

I'll never put in for the draw again. Biggest waste of my priority points ever.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 PM

Springer,
I do know the vehicle kill elk you are talking about. It hung in Provost for a couple of years. The one which is the Alberta record non-typical however was shot which is the one I mentioned previously.
Snetzer
Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Ahh I see Snetzer. Both Big Bulls then. Heres the one i got in 234

Can't wait to get drawn again in 5 years.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 PM

Springer, that's a beauty bull. Thanks for sharing your pic. What'd ya shoot him with? A .50cal?

Tree
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 PM

300WSM...twice