Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Default first time hunter

So what's the process for getting a first time hunter going here in Alberta? My daughter(29) has expressed an interest in going hunting with me this fall to maybe chase a few deer around the flatland. I've been hunting all my life but this is the first time I've had to get someone new started. She can use my gun (although I'm itching to buy her one of her own) for this year and will always be with me for the first season so I'm assuming she won't need the PAL course yet?
Any help would be greatly apreciated,
Jim
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimy2wolves View Post
So what's the process for getting a first time hunter going here in Alberta? My daughter(29) has expressed an interest in going hunting with me this fall to maybe chase a few deer around the flatland. I've been hunting all my life but this is the first time I've had to get someone new started. She can use my gun (although I'm itching to buy her one of her own) for this year and will always be with me for the first season so I'm assuming she won't need the PAL course yet?
Any help would be greatly apreciated,
Jim
Yes she can borrow your gun as long as you are
"you may borrow the firearm only if you are under the direct and immediate supervision of a suitably licensed adult (aged 18 or older) and there are no court orders prohibiting you from possessing firearms or other weapons."

She will need to take her first time hunters course and information can be found here:

http://www.aheia.com/cart_builder.cfm?Category=0
Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 AM

Default Cool

Thanks, I'll get her on this right away. So if I was to be "forced" to buy her a new deer rifle, what would be a good starter?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimy2wolves View Post
Thanks, I'll get her on this right away. So if I was to be "forced" to buy her a new deer rifle, what would be a good starter?
If all she's going to be going for is deer, then I'd reccomend the .243. You'll probably get others saying to go to a bigger caliber, like .30-06.

For a lady, the .243 is pretty gentle. My wife likes shooting mine and doesn't like the kick of the .30-06.

Then... if she gets the bug and wants to go for elk, moose, etc. Then she gets to add another gun to the cabinet
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
sheephunter

She will need to take the Hunter's Safety course though. Your best source of info about that is www.aheia.com
Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM

I would recommend the 270 it's my favorite deer rifle Cal.
good luck