Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Glenfiddich is a fine whisky, and I'm sure you will enjoy it, but you won't be getting any smoke or peat out of them, sorry. If you like the smokier profiles, look to Highland Park offerings at the mild end of the scale, and work your way up to the Islay malts: Ardbeg, Lagavullin, Oban, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich (Dark Arts if you can afford it! Yum!) Bowmore (Which is a lighter one as well)....

They are all fine whiskies, and come in all sorts of different offerings at different price points. Try a few, enjoy them neat or with just a drop of water to open it up a bit....and Merry Christmas to all!
Thanks for the advice, I never knew how to choose for a smokey tasting scotch, Now I have a few brand names to look at. Next time I shop for scotch I値l keep these in mind.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hover View Post
Thanks for the advice, I never knew how to choose for a smokey tasting scotch, Now I have a few brand names to look at. Next time I shop for scotch I値l keep these in mind.
Just thought of another that I recently tried, and it was a surprise: The Glenlivet Nadurra Peated whisky. Cask strength, bottled at a whopping 61.5% abv...you will need to put a good bit of water in it to tame it down, but it is quite good, and a reasonable price. I had it at a tasting and didn't add water initially, made me just a bit wheezy!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-24-2017, 02:01 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Glenfiddich is a fine whisky, and I'm sure you will enjoy it, but you won't be getting any smoke or peat out of them, sorry. If you like the smokier profiles, look to Highland Park offerings at the mild end of the scale, and work your way up to the Islay malts: Ardbeg, Lagavullin, Oban, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich (Dark Arts if you can afford it! Yum!) Bowmore (Which is a lighter one as well)....

They are all fine whiskies, and come in all sorts of different offerings at different price points. Try a few, enjoy them neat or with just a drop of water to open it up a bit....and Merry Christmas to all!
Listen to these recommendations! Wonderful selections if you like peat...

As for a good bottle for a scotch newbie who has not developed a taste yet for the more extreme and complex flavours, I always recommend a Glenmorangie Nector d'or. It is a wonderful sweeter whisky with many layers, noticeably orchard fruits and honey. A very easy drink that still allows you to identify subtlties and layers while not being overly intense.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Listen to these recommendations! Wonderful selections if you like peat...

As for a good bottle for a scotch newbie who has not developed a taste yet for the more extreme and complex flavours, I always recommend a Glenmorangie Nector d'or. It is a wonderful sweeter whisky with many layers, noticeably orchard fruits and honey. A very easy drink that still allows you to identify subtlties and layers while not being overly intense.
Totally agree Tirebob, the nectar D'or is finished in Sauterne Casks, essentially ice wine, and gives it a delicious sweetness and a nice finish. If you like sweet, I always recommend any Glendronach offerings, from the 12 year old to the 21 year Parliament (Sherry Bomb! So good), or if you are lucky enough to find some of their excellent cask offerings (if you ever see a Tawny Port cask offering, buy it!).

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-24-2017, 04:05 PM

Belvenie Doublewood would be a contender for these selected!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2017, 05:00 PM

I知 currently enjoying a dram of The Macallan Edition No2. Very delicious!
Old 12-24-2017, 05:43 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I知 currently enjoying a dram of The Macallan Edition No2. Very delicious!
I have a bottle of that myself... Really nice blend!!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Just thought of another that I recently tried, and it was a surprise: The Glenlivet Nadurra Peated whisky. Cask strength, bottled at a whopping 61.5% abv...you will need to put a good bit of water in it to tame it down, but it is quite good, and a reasonable price. I had it at a tasting and didn't add water initially, made me just a bit wheezy!
I just finished a bottle of the glenlivet nadurra and I really enjoyed it (and I知 not a big glenlivet fan). I read mention of bowmore, I致e said it before and I値l say it again, I absolutely love the bowmore 15. I just the other day picked up a nice bottle at duty free. I値l update the thread with what it is when I get back to the room from bbqing dinner. Merry Christmas everyone. This is one of my favorite threads!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:24 PM

Also part of the glenmorangie line in addition to the Nector D丹r I壇 also recommend the LaSanta (Sherry casks) and Quinta Ruban (Port casks).
Old 12-24-2017, 09:41 PM

I enjoyed the Quinta Ruban, but for some reason the Lasanta was quite off putting for me, I didn't like it at all. The finish to me was what I suppose licking a used ashtray would be like. Could have been a bad casking, traces of sulphur maybe, but that one I won't buy again.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
licking a used ashtray would be like
Isn稚 that octomore? Lol. High octane ashtray!

Of the two thought I知 more a fan of the Quinta ruban, maybe you got an off batch of the lasanta. Who knows. Don稚 buy it again though, too much other good stuff out there.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:36 PM

The Octomore tastes like drinking a fine Robusto that is lit at both ends, peasant! nothing like an ashtray...

My good friend and hunting partner set me up good, best coffee cup ever and a new Highland Park to boot! Sweet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171225_222457.jpg (46.4 KB, 50 views)

Old 12-27-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
I just picked up the Kirkland blended 12 year from Costco and it's pretty darn good. 1.75L will last at least to new years haha
How is it in terms of flavours? I'm not really big on smoky, peaty malts thus far in my scotch drinking career.

I was at the Costco liq store the other day and picked up their rye instead, as it was a gamble on a big bottle of something I may not like.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
How is it in terms of flavours? I'm not really big on smoky, peaty malts thus far in my scotch drinking career.

I was at the Costco liq store the other day and picked up their rye instead, as it was a gamble on a big bottle of something I may not like.
The Kirkland is in all likelihood bottled for them by Macallan. That's the rumour on the street anyway. It is not peaty or smokey, you'd probably like it just fine. Better than Glenlivet or Glenfiddich 12 years olds IMO.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:15 PM

I like the Oban in the light brown tube, I think its a 14 year.

I also like the Bruichladdich organic, not sure what that sells for nowadays but it was about $70 the last time I bought one. Its cheaper than the Oban and still very enjoyable.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:02 PM

I like my Scapa.

Like it better than Glenfiddich.

Anyone else try this one?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-27-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I like my Scapa.

Like it better than Glenfiddich.

Anyone else try this one?
Scapa is beauty! I have been nursing a bottle of 16 year old for about 3 years, you can't get it anymore....got about 3 good drinks left. It is fantastic stuff, like it much better than the glenmorangie 18, or the Macallan 15. A real gem. If you find it in a duty free, buy 2!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171227_200333.jpg (43.9 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-27-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Scapa is beauty! I have been nursing a bottle of 16 year old for about 3 years, you can't get it anymore....got about 3 good drinks left. It is fantastic stuff, like it much better than the glenmorangie 18, or the Macallan 15. A real gem. If you find it in a duty free, buy 2!!
Yup. That is what I got in Dublin. Wish I bought 4
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-27-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yup. That is what I got in Dublin. Wish I bought 4
I wish you had too, and invited me over! It is top shelf, very smooth, absolutely delicious!

Old 12-29-2017, 11:15 AM

Glenfarclas is one of my favorites in the 15 year.... I find it better than the 17 or 21 to be honest
Old 12-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Lagavulin is another favorite...
Old 12-30-2017, 01:06 PM
AO Sponsor

I just picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Bacalta yesterday and had a dram by the fire last night. True to what I typically expect from Glenmorangie, it is wonderully sweet yet very complex. I picked up tons of honeycomb and apricots on the nose which follows through on the tongue with some almond and a definite hint of pear at the end. I will need to spend more time with it to see if I can find the other hints it is supposed to carry in the background, but my first experience was excellent!

Old 12-30-2017, 03:02 PM

Sounds good Tirebob, I saw it on the shelf the other day and made a note to try it soon. Last night I had a solid dram (or two?) of the new Highland Park Magnus. It is good, but for the price I'd say stick to the 12 year old....the Dark Origins and Valkyrie are both better imo. Highland Park has sure been going bonkers the last few years with all their 'limited release' offerings, and I always have to try one...but for the money, I'm starting to go back to the old tried and true age expressions. Unless they are a truly special 'limited release', it's mostly just marketing and hype at this point, put it in a nice looking special bottle with some interesting story on the box, and go mark it up an extra $40! And I am a guy who loves Highland Park. They are not the only distillery doing it either, Ardbeg comes to mind, Glendronach to an extent, Laphroaig has one every year (they all tend to be of the special nature I'd say).....Hopefully this doesn't become a gimmicky fad.

But, that is not to say Magnus isn't good whisky, it is for sure.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:54 PM
AO Sponsor

I definitely see this "fad" of making special editions growing, especially as collecting seems to be an expanding hobby. I am all good with it assuming the distillers do not start sacrificing quality just to sell fancy names. My understanding is that even though Glenmorangie is not giving an age statement, they are using the original 10 year old for their Private Edition series and than finishing another couple years in specialty casks to enhance them.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:37 PM

I'm cracking open the Lavagulin 16 tonite to fend off the cold.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 PM

Jura 16yr "Diurachs' Own"....mmmm!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
I'm cracking open the Lavagulin 16 tonite to fend off the cold.
Must have been distracted, it's still closed...
Old 01-09-2018, 07:02 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
Must have been distracted, it's still closed...
Well that is just a sad story sir... lol! I had a dram of the Lag 16 last night and am down to just a couple more. That is a bottle I will be re-adding to the group when gone. Such a nice dram!
Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM

A wee dram of the Glenfarclas 15 is my goto. I have a surplus left over from my wedding.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:33 AM

My vote goes to Glenmorangie Orange tube.