Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

Ive been readin along on this, and figgered Id give it a try. I put my block at 108 (furthest I could stretch it) and flung 20 arrows. Keep in mind, my longest pin is 50. Out of 20 arrows, I hit the block 13 times, so really, how much of a stretch would it be to imagine a guy with a newer faster bow practicing alot and setting a 100 pin bein able to do it? Totally doable. Myth busted lol
Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM

So you lost 7 arrows trying this??
Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisebuck View Post
Any one with ethics would not advocate the shooting of any game at distances that you believe are comfortable.
Outdoor Obsesion lost any creditation with me and those I hunt with when they shot that elk last year at over 100yds.
It is up to all of us to portray hunting as ethical and humane, and shooting at game over these extreme ranges laughs in the face of ethics!
You need to learn to read closer if you think that I've advocated it. I've done the exact opposite by stating a couple times that I'm not a supporter of long-range archery shooting. So please dont preach 'ethics police' to me considering I am stating that I dont support it. I am merely saying that its simple physics that a compound bow can shoot accurately out past 100 yards. There are a LOT of target archers out there that would agree....
Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
ya, exactly my point. you need to watch mythbusters my friend. not everything you see on tv or the web is real.

If you know someone who can shoot an arrow and hit the target at 100 yards 9/10 times prove it. I should say 120 yards would be preferable
u just answered your own question, not everything on tv is real. lol mythbusters. maybe there needs to be a myth mythbusters. give your head a shake.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
You need to learn to read closer if you think that I've advocated it. I've done the exact opposite by stating a couple times that I'm not a supporter of long-range archery shooting. So please dont preach 'ethics police' to me considering I am stating that I dont support it. I am merely saying that its simple physics that a compound bow can shoot accurately out past 100 yards. There are a LOT of target archers out there that would agree....
Then your time would be better spent argueing with the long range shooters and not me.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 PM

all i said was I dont believe it. I dont believe and arrow at 117 yards has enough force to kill a deer. I also never said I was right, I also said for someone to prove it to me that it can be done. One of the guys one here who is a stand up guy said he can do it at 108yrds ( which i think is an incredible shot ) then I guess it can be done. I for one am not gonna try it out hunting. I wouldnt mind setting it up at 117 and seeing how i do lol. I have a tough time figuring it out in my head how an arrow can still penetrate at 100+ yards. I shoot a #60 bow. I have never shot a bow higher. So for me ya you can see why it would be hard for me to believe it.
thats pretty incredible.

Point proven.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyclay View Post
u just answered your own question, not everything on tv is real. lol mythbusters. maybe there needs to be a myth mythbusters. give your head a shake.
lol ya. mythbusters is fake... good come back.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildnFree View Post
Ive been readin along on this, and figgered Id give it a try. I put my block at 108 (furthest I could stretch it) and flung 20 arrows. Keep in mind, my longest pin is 50. Out of 20 arrows, I hit the block 13 times, so really, how much of a stretch would it be to imagine a guy with a newer faster bow practicing alot and setting a 100 pin bein able to do it? Totally doable. Myth busted lol
thats pretty awesome. I'm impressed. where did you go to shoot that far a range? I wish i could shoot my bow in the park across the street. I could only imagine the madness that would create lol.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
have you looked at the review Len Backus of long range hunting wrote on the PSE Tac15 crossbow. he states this crossbow is a legitimate 100 yard tool in the right hands.
ya That would be the only one. Trust me they are not as big and bad as everybody thinks they are.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 PM

I have watch Archers here in Hinton shoot great groups at 80 yards and it would kill any deer.. i have watch a Hunter/TV host shoot a Mulie buck at 72 yards .. arrow passed through and buck went about 100 yards and did the drop on camera.. I had the privilage of teaching some of the spot and stalk/calling techniques to him and Bro's and friends.

In England in the 1500's King George shot 12 arrows in a row into the CLOTH of GOLD at a amazing 12 score or 240 yards .. google

in the 70's 30 to 50 yards was far now 80 yards for some is easy and 100 plus is doable.. at 300 fps +

Practice practice practice

Food for thought
David
Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

I live on 2 acres so Ive got the room. Just because some of us cant/wont do it, dosnt mean there arnt guys out there that can. A buddy of mine shoots 80 daily, has an 80 pin on his bow and has harvested animals at 80. 100 aint that much further really with the right equipment. And by equipment I dont just mean bow and arrow. Knowing your exact range at that kinda distance is paramount. I have another buddy that shoots competetivley. They shoot 100 meters regularly. As little as 2 yards makes a substantial difference at 100 plus. Similar to how a bullet drops more at longer ranges.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:56 PM

I have an Adjustable sight that's good to 125 yards, shooting a #70 mamba and a 4 foot sq foam rubber target to practice on this summer the farthest I hit a gopher was 112 yards, missed a heck of alot more than I hit but they are good practice.
Funny how 20-30 years ago it was common to shoot 30 yards with a bow not much faster than a recurve and now with three times as fast of bows and range finders, better arrows ect and people can sit here and rant about shooting farther than what's in their mindset. Reminds me, adjustable sights, releases, and carbon arrows were all said to be for only target shooters when they first come out now almost every hunter uses a release and Aluninum arrows are a thing of the past.
If you want to cry ethics or humane kills I think ya better stick to buying your beef steaks. That way you know that the cow dyed as quick as possible cause we all know that a slauhter house has never had a wounded animal
Old 09-18-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I have an Adjustable sight that's good to 125 yards, shooting a #70 mamba and a 4 foot sq foam rubber target to practice on this summer the farthest I hit a gopher was 112 yards, missed a heck of alot more than I hit but they are good practice.
Funny how 20-30 years ago it was common to shoot 30 yards with a bow not much faster than a recurve and now with three times as fast of bows and range finders, better arrows ect and people can sit here and rant about shooting farther than what's in their mindset. Reminds me, adjustable sights, releases, and carbon arrows were all said to be for only target shooters when they first come out now almost every hunter uses a release and Aluninum arrows are a thing of the past.
If you want to cry ethics or humane kills I think ya better stick to buying your beef steaks. That way you know that the cow dyed as quick as possible cause we all know that a slauhter house has never had a wounded animal
Don't come huntin around here, we don't need your "ethics"
Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM

Funny someone from bville could talk ethics. Worst night hunting area Ive seen and your worrying about how far I shoot?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Well I practice out to 60 yards and am quite proficient to that distance.....today I missed a mule doe @ 60 yards...she jumped the string and turned and I shot right beside her....so even at 60 yards with a quick bow sometimes it isn't quick enough.....

I can see the valid points made on both sides of the arguement.....

I will shoot at the distances I am comfortable making a one-shot kill at.....but "Murphy's Law" kicks in from time to time and things happen that we don't want to happen....

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 09-18-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 PM

I have a 80 yard setting on my sight for a reason. Would I take that kind of shot under the right conditions? absolutely! But I practice and can put my arrows into the kill zone of my Glendel buck 99% of the time. Of course a foam target isnt the same as a live deer but i feel confident that I would be able to put a good arrow into the lungs/heart of a deer if need be.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 AM

I believe the OP wasn't arguing the fact an arrow can travel 100 yards, or if people practice out that far on paper and foam targets. I believe he was asking if shooting those distances is ethical on live animals.

I've shot out to 100 yards on foam and made a kill shot, but 41 yards twice has been my longest on a deer.

I hear people brag about there 70 + yards shots at deer, IMO that's unethical. The shot I'm most proud about is, My less than 1 yard bomb on a whitetail buck, On the ground with barely any cover. I think that is harder to do than a 100 yard hail Mary.

I prefer to be known as a hunter, not a shooter!!?....jmo!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

I can see the valid points made on both sides of the arguement.....

LC
Me too. Thats th trouble with "ethics" threads. Theres no right and wrong answers. Theres good points often, and lots of emotional bull**** lol
Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 AM

Well apparently I sadly misjudged the power of a compound bow. I've seen 80 yard shots but I thought that 80 yards was right near the peak performance of a compound bow. So adding another 40+ yards and kill something. I didnt think it was possible. How far can a compound bow shoot. I appologise for my apparent ignorance and underestimation of the performance of a bow.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
There is only one reason for long shots with any bow, and that is in a bad situation, ie: wounded animal that you cant get in on. That is fact, not opinion, and any archer will tell you it. Anyone who argues different isnt even worth the time to listen to. You turn your back to them and walk away. I practice long for one reason and one reason only,,, because Im not perfect, and mistakes can and will happen, even when doing it properly and at close ranges. Anyone taking long shots, airing out arrows should have thier bows taken away, cut in half, and given back to them in 2 pieces.
C Taylor. You sound like a bowshietter,, not a bow hunter. Do us all a favor, dont go training anyone up on archery anytime soon please...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 AM

If you can make the shot at 80?Go ahead and try,My limit is 60 yards and that is Pushing it,Here in the east we Dont do a lot of Spot n Stalk though,So most of our shots are within 30 yards.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 AM

Archery hunting is about getting close - close as in when you're afraid to breath or that your heart is beating too loudly.

50,60,70,80,100 ..... those are all long long shots at live game - that's not the objective of bowhunting.

I agree with PottyMouth. I one yard shot adrenaline filled draw and shot is much more difficult than some calculated 70 yard + arc. Where's the fun in that?

I've been bowhunting for 12 years and shot my share of moose, elk, deer and bears. I've never had to shoot over 36 meters. Your bowhunting setups should geared towards close encounters, meaning you shouldn't be setting up to take shots past your effective shooting range.

How effective can a slow arrow be on a lightning fast deer in which you have no control of? Think about it. Target archery is one thing, but bowhunting is about getting CLOSE and is different all together.

Get close! Better yet, get closer. One step back is allowed.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Archery hunting is about getting close - close as in when you're afraid to breath or that your heart is beating too loudly.

50,60,70,80,100 ..... those are all long long shots at live game - that's not the objective of bowhunting.

I agree with PottyMouth. I one yard shot adrenaline filled draw and shot is much more difficult than some calculated 70 yard + arc. Where's the fun in that?

I've been bowhunting for 12 years and shot my share of moose, elk, deer and bears. I've never had to shoot over 36 meters. Your bowhunting setups should geared towards close encounters, meaning you shouldn't be setting up to take shots past your effective shooting range.

How effective can a slow arrow be on a lightning fast deer in which you have no control of? Think about it. Target archery is one thing, but bowhunting is about getting CLOSE and is different all together.

Get close! Better yet, get closer. One step back is allowed.
Well said....

LC
Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Forgive me if some one has already made this point, I just skimmed most of the posts on the thread.

I always considered the long distance shots a bad idea (not necessarily unethical) due to the time it takes an arrow to reach the target. If your arrow is traveling at 300 fps it will take about a second to reach a target 75-100 yards away. In that amount of time a perfectly placed shot can land in a deer’s hind quarter regardless of the archer’s skill.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
ya, exactly my point. you need to watch mythbusters my friend. not everything you see on tv or the web is real.

If you know someone who can shoot an arrow and hit the target at 100 yards 9/10 times prove it. I should say 120 yards would be preferable
Gee I guess when we shoot 90 meter fita we must be standing on a big hill to reach that far.........Good God man give you head a fricken shake. with todays bows and technology there is no problem shooting 100 plus yards at targets. I have many friends who shoot for Team Canada and they do it regularly and have set records doing it. when shooting Fita there cannot be more than 2 cm difference from the shooting line to the targets. I know at the last 3D shoot I was at I nailed the elk targets at 110 yards right in the ten ring with one shot. would I shoot a animals that far not even close. to much can happen between the time an arrow gets there and hits. Archery in my opinion is a close range game that is why im hunting with my longbow this year
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well apparently I sadly misjudged the power of a compound bow. I've seen 80 yard shots but I thought that 80 yards was right near the peak performance of a compound bow. So adding another 40+ yards and kill something. I didnt think it was possible. How far can a compound bow shoot. I appologise for my apparent ignorance and underestimation of the performance of a bow.
It takes some balls to admit you were wrong. Good on ya.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

im not sure what changed your mind exactly, but its good to see you have learned something in this. the truth is that a compound is a far more effective tool at 100 plus yards than a crossbow ever could be. its all in the physics of the longer lighter arrow. ballistic coefficient is a term that even applies in archery.

but anyway, as for the question, i have pins to 70 on my bow and can toss arrows into a 6 inch foam dessert plate until i get bored of it. someone else stated the reason why thats a good idea. i wouldnt shoot at an animal past 50 for any reason other than to follow up a shot that may not have been perfect. there is just so much that can go wrong in the time it takes an aroow to get where i aimed it. just because the arrow went where i told it to, doesnt mean that the target is still in the same place. that and down on the prairies here, the wind will change your effectivce range any given day. the last mule buck i drew on was at 27, but the way the wind was howling that afternoon, i chose not to risk a disaster.

ethics discussions always end up this way. some blowhard thinkin his way is the only way. i think a few people need to look up the definition of ETHICS and OPINION and realize that just because someone else feels a different way than you, it does not make them wrong or stupid. now to argue a scientifically proven fact....well thats another thing.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Default Looks though like we all tend to agree

If I read correctly, there's only one person here that would actually take a 70+ shot on an actual animal. I think we pretty much all agree... a big part of archery is the getting in close part.
And the projectile isnt designed to reliably take game out at that distance.... hence unethical.

the one dude that would take that shot..... I hope we never meet, we wont get along.

My closest kill has been 10 yards...... it was awesome!!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

A very well thought out, well written post from Dale, followed 20 mins later by more crap lol. This place is AWESOME. lol
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Well, I have been following this post for a bit, and others like it. There are definatley some posts from guys that are very limited as to the archery knowledge and or experience. There are some great points as to how far you shoot etc. I know i'm gonna get slammed, but people its not 1985. Our equipment is leaps and bounds better. I have been shooting for 25 years. My first bow was a bear whitetail II. It may have shot 185 FPS. my old brass pins rattled down after a week of shooting. I started out shooting round bales in dads field...missing half the time at 20 yrds. I was addicted, and shot everyday...good thing about growing up on a farm and having a heated shop. As my shooting ability increased so did my equipment. 60 yrds eventually became second nature. I shot quite a few animals out to that distance. This is before range finders.

About 10 yrs ago I was shooting the best I ever have and probably ever will. I could for sure shoot better with a bow than I could free hand with a rifle at 100yrds. A good friend and i would shoot out to 120 yrds...our furthest point in the yard as much as we could. Now, would i shoot at a deer that far, no, a coyote, you bet and have connected a few times. I have shot multiple animals out to 80 yrds...and have seen many others shot to that distance with a bow. I just read a post saying that only one guy would shoot past 70 or out to 70 yrds...well thats because most guys dont want to get ripped on so they will keep there comments to themselves. I know there are multiple guys that have read this, biting there tongue I just could not take it anymore!

Today I shoot 345 FPS and 95 ft/lbs of KE. A far cry from what I started out at. I have limited my distance this year due to the lack of practice in comparison to past years. Each hunting situation is different. Is the animal aware somethings up? Is it windy, are your nerves getting the best of you? There are mulitple factors I know. I have let down on a few big critters due to my nerves getting the best of me or wind blowing my bow enough I can not settle the pin. Bottom line is if I feel comfortable in the shot that I know I can make every day, I am gonna take it. There is a big difference in speed of bows. Someone taking a shot at 40 yrds with an arrow spitting out at 240 FPS...or 75 yrds with a bow kicking a stick at 345...do the math...not much different.

As far as not having the punch to kill an animal at 75+ yrds, think again. My last elk was 72 yards and a pass through. I know I would not step in front of my setup. I believe my broadheads and arrows are gonna give me the best accuarcy and penetration possible.

To finish off, would I prefer to take a 10 yrd shot...you bet, every time. The truth is though, not everytime in the field will you get that perfect shot...10 yrds, no wind, animal is blind and deaf. Cover runs out, too many eyes to sneak any further. I practice hard, in all condition, rain, wind, rain, uphill-downhill, pressure situations( for me it used to be 3D tourny's, etc) I know my equipment and limitations. If you feel you can only "ethically" take a shot at 20 yrds, well then so be it, but dont judge the guys that put there time in and take it to the next step....