Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 05:48 PM

I am related to a guy that killed one near Hays Ab. a few years ago. We have bought tags every year since they became available. Payed off big time for him. Was calling coyotes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-19-2020, 05:57 PM

Apparently, there was one wandering around Olds a few days ago. Not Unusual.

https://www.mountainviewtoday.ca/old...unusal-2696100

Grizz
Old 09-19-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
So I’ve never much thought about them when on the trails but does anyone know the likelihood of a cougar going after a dog with a human nearby? (Ours is just 55 lbs.)
Well they love deer and elk so I doubt any size dog is safe, but I think it would be rare for them to come at one that’s close to its owner. I remember awhile back one making the news. A couple was walking a Standard Schnauzer I believe around the red deer river and a cat grabbed the dog leash and all and went up a tree with the owner on hot pursuit. He was actually able to pull the dog out of the tree and save it, so it definitely happens.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:47 AM

Guys, cougar are hunted with dogs. They normally run and get treed. It depends on size and how aggressive the dog is towards the cougar. Also one dog by himself not so good as cougar not nearly as threatened.
Most Bob cats are in southern Alberta. Lynx in Northern/western Alberta. However trapper friend trapped a Bob cat near Valleyview last winter.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Had some friends using our cabin last week and they spotted a cougar on the property. The next day when i was out there to do a bit of work on our bridge back in the bush I figured it best to just leave our dog in the cabin. (Neighbours regularly walk the trails but with two larger dogs.)

So I’ve never much thought about them when on the trails but does anyone know the likelihood of a cougar going after a dog with a human nearby? (Ours is just 55 lbs.)
https://globalnews.ca/news/5986365/h...ougar-closure/

Grizz
Old 09-20-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, cougar are hunted with dogs. They normally run and get treed. It depends on size and how aggressive the dog is towards the cougar. Also one dog by himself not so good as cougar not nearly as threatened.
Most Bob cats are in southern Alberta. Lynx in Northern/western Alberta. However trapper friend trapped a Bob cat near Valleyview last winter.
it takes a pack of dogs to tree a cougar and if the cougar gets cornered, the dogs are in trouble. a cougar goes up a tree only because it is easier than killing all those dogs one by one. one youtube clip I watched of a house security cam showed a cougar putting a big doberman in a chokehold in a blink of an eye. the only thing that saved the dog was a stout collar and chain. cougar tried to jump over the homeowners fence with the dog in its jaws and ran out of chain right at the top of the fence. cougar went over the top and the dog was jerked back into the yard. another clip showed a cougar killing a full grown wolf. anything that can kill a full grown elk deserves respect.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
it takes a pack of dogs to tree a cougar and if the cougar gets cornered, the dogs are in trouble. a cougar goes up a tree only because it is easier than killing all those dogs one by one. one youtube clip I watched of a house security cam showed a cougar putting a big doberman in a chokehold in a blink of an eye. the only thing that saved the dog was a stout collar and chain. cougar tried to jump over the homeowners fence with the dog in its jaws and ran out of chain right at the top of the fence. cougar went over the top and the dog was jerked back into the yard. another clip showed a cougar killing a full grown wolf. anything that can kill a full grown elk deserves respect.
Just curious if you and (big grey wolf) are basing what you say on experience or on what you learn on you tube.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:19 PM

Last winter I had some strange tracks in my yard and was unable to determine what made them, due to melting and more snow. But I asked around and a couple of weeks later a friend sent me this trail cam pic, showing 2 of them, about 2 miles west of where I live. Need to zoom to see the second one....

Old 09-21-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Just curious if you and (big grey wolf) are basing what you say on experience or on what you learn on you tube.
cougars are apex predators, not difficult to understand most other animals are prey to them.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
cougars are apex predators, not difficult to understand most other animals are prey to them.
You didnt answer the question so guessing by this response and your other one you have no personal experience just you tube stuff.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
You didnt answer the question so guessing by this response and your other one you have no personal experience just you tube stuff.
I have no personal experience with a cougar in the wild. all I have is what other people have written and camera shots and you tube clips. I don't think they were faked. if you have more experience please share.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:25 AM

I had a little 50m run in last fall on a pipeline, long story short I had blood on me from a deer earlier in the day and as I was backing away making noise it went in the bush then came back into the pipeline about 20m closer to me but then I never saw it again. Why did I not bring a firearm while retrieving that game? Sometimes I’m such an idiot!

I would rather have cougars than rattlesnakes.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:22 AM

Not sure if over 60 years of hunting and operating a trap line in cougar country in northwestern Alberta counts as experience.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:12 PM

Having not read the op or thread, and just going by the title, are we talking cougar with four legs or cougar with two legs??
Old 09-22-2020, 10:40 PM

I met a predatory cougar at DJs pub and grill in Morinville once and barely made it out from under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I have no personal experience with a cougar in the wild. all I have is what other people have written and camera shots and you tube clips. I don't think they were faked. if you have more experience please share.
If you have no personal experience then why post what chasing cats with dogs is about. You dont need a pack of dogs, they dont tree because its easier then killing the dogs , does not depend on the size of or how aggressive the dog is.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Not sure if over 60 years of hunting and operating a trap line in cougar country in northwestern Alberta counts as experience.
Maybe bush experience
Old 09-24-2020, 11:56 AM

My buddy near Cranbrook used to guide cougar hunts. They always used dogs. Not sure the exact techniques but this cougar of his was shot while in a tree. They went out on a holiday when they knew most hunters would be home. He knew the cat was in the area. It was fresh snow so they found its tracks and I assume the dogs were then released. He also told me about using doe or fawn calls. Here's a pic. 178 lbs and in Boone and Crockett.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cougar.jpg (66.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk800 View Post
wifey had one walk across century road 4 miles south of spruce grove last week.
That would be at my father in-laws place !!! Yikes
Old 09-24-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
They are definitely here in the city in the West End along the river here. I walk my dogs down there and have seen what I suspected to be big kitty tracks but they weren't perfect (kind of semi-dry mud) but sure lokked like them to me.

The following spring - got a much more defined set of prints in the snow - yup - a cat. Also confirmed by the stride as there were a dozen or two along that trail.

A few years ago - Cops shot a cat here too .... it was in a back yard

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...yard-1.3233839
I can't believe what I just watched, that stupid millennial girl saying they could have used alternative methods and the guy saying they could have tranquilized the cat again!
The cat was on the move aggressively towards an LEO, I would have done the same thing!
Cat
Old 09-28-2020, 12:26 PM

I had a close encounter with a Lynx last week. Very cool. First one i've ever seen in the wild. Watch it for about 5 mins.
We were out snowmobiling a couple years ago. As we were getting ready to head out, I was talking with my friends wife, when she abruptly stopped talking, fixated on something over my shoulder and went white. Look around to see nothing. Look back at her as she realized what it was, and the treat she witnessed. A cat casually crossed the trail behind me 30yds away. This happened at Minnow Lake by Edson. That's as close as I've ever been to one.