Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 10:52 PM

Default RV electric shock “hot skin” condition

Wondering if anyone had this experience and can fast track my trouble shooting.

Was winterizing my Fleetwood/Coleman tent trailer this evening and had it plugged into my house (120V) to run the pump etc. When I went to open the main waterline drain valves, I noticed an electric current. Not enough to knock you down, but certainly not comfortable.
I did the back of the hand test on one of the leveling jack screws and the same thing. The whole body of the trailer will give me a shock. The oddest thing is that I got a shock from the drain valve that is on a plastic line 2” from and metal contact, so I assume it is flowing through the water in the system as well.

Did some Google “research” and they call it a hot skin condition. Can be caused by the power source that is easy to trouble shoot, but curious if anyone had this and found the cause. Sounds like it can be extremely dangerous, so I will not be using the trailer until I figure it out.

Thanks,
MRM
Old 09-22-2020, 10:57 PM
Banned

I am thinking that there may be a staple that has perforated a live wire and at the same time in contact with the aluminum skin...???
Old 09-22-2020, 11:29 PM

I would start with turning the breakers on one at a time to figure out which circuit it is.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:03 AM

My trailer did this when I plugged it into my parents garage. My brother in law the electrician said it was a bad ground on the electrical circuit. He pounded in a ground rod and hooked it up to the panel in the garage and the problem was solved.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
My trailer did this when I plugged it into my parents garage. My brother in law the electrician said it was a bad ground on the electrical circuit. He pounded in a ground rod and hooked it up to the panel in the garage and the problem was solved.
That won't help you on the road, there's a problem somewhere that needs addressing.

Grizz
Old 09-23-2020, 07:24 AM

The problem was with the garage, and the circuit was using me to create the ground when I touched the trailer.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:34 AM

I would have to agree that it is a grounding issue. Try plugging it into a different spot to see if it is a grounding issue with outlet or trailer itself.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:34 AM

I have seen that happen when using an extension cord with no ground prong.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:18 AM

I assume you still have the battery in it? If not maybe the positive cable is touching metal while plugged in sending 12 volts through the frame.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:29 AM

This may seem like an odd response, but bear with me - are you parked underneath power lines?
Old 09-23-2020, 08:35 AM

i had this happen on an old rv. like stated above turn the breakers off and put them on one at a time to see what circuit is the culprit.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 AM

Check your extension cord. Had this happen to me. The polarity was reversed in the plug on the cord.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:24 AM

If the garage power source checks out
I would disconnect the battery connect the ground wire of a meter set on continuity to the frame, touch the red probe to each of the male prongs on the trailer 120V plug to check for a circuit. You should only get a reading on the ground prong.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:09 PM

If your ground is hot, you have a problem.

Grizz
Old 09-23-2020, 01:18 PM

1ruger is a 40yr RV technician, pm me. Likely steer you in the right direction.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:44 PM

I have a PM into 1ruger, but here is what I discovered today.

Did as suggested and isolated the circuit. Using a Fluke voltage tester is much more pleasant than doing a touch test… The meter would go off at least a foot away from the trailer.

Fortunately, it is on the circuit with half the indoor plugs, the outdoor plug, outdoor light, and the fridge on 120V. All of which I can live without if required. I pulled all the outlets and looked for obvious issues and found none. Traced all the wires I could follow and looked for potential wear points, nothing to note. Also pulled the outside light and checked the wires nothing obvious.

After this I turned the circuit on again and the issue was gone (for the moment). Checked all the plugs and they all worked, but the outside light does not have power.

My guess at this point is that the hot wire to the light fixture itself is the issue and it is currently not contacting the body of the trailer. Glad to have narrowed it down, but without being able to repeat the issue, I will only be sure if I can find a break in that wire. Until then, I am running one circuit down.

Thanks for all the replies,
MRM
Old 09-24-2020, 10:42 PM

I would start with one of those simple three-prong three-light circuit testers. Unplug the trailer and plug the tester in there. The lights will tell you whether that point you are plugging into is properly grounded. If it is ok, plug back in and plug into 110 in the trailer. trace it down from that. I always have them on hand for my troubleshooting.

Vic
Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 AM

This may not be directly related, but I had an old trailer once where the wiring would short against the skin from the lights.

I pulled all the lights off, cleaned them, applied new butyl tape to the back, reconnected the wiring, and wrapped the wiring in split loom (and in some cases, just an extra layer or two of electrical tape) at the point where it passed through the skin. That fixed it.