Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 11:28 PM

Wow, quite the labyrinth of small town farm life, sure gives another potential to the story with the weird insular family cultures that can develop. Those types seemed to get lots of narration of their escapades by Robert Stack around 20 years ago

I really don't know where to be on this one. Usually I'll side with LE, but I know they're not infallible. A person raised as a fundamentalist could certainly make for an ornery exchange though, there seems to be more and more of those these days, both far left and far right.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Well its still legal for a 14 year old to operate a farm implement on a roadway in Alberta.
I had no idea....kind of boggles my mind, from a safety perspective.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-11-2020, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well its still legal for a 14 year old to operate a farm implement on a roadway in Alberta.
A driver’s licence is not required to operate an implement of husbandry on a highway but if you are 16 years of age and younger you can only cross a highway. The individual in this instance was 18 thus no charge for operating it on a highway without a driver’s license. For sure they would have charged him for that as well if they could.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 PM

Operating an implement of husbandry sounds kind of dirty. Thankfully I've never been stopped and asked for a license!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Who cares what the line up was for?
Who cares where the access was?
Who cares where the tractor was in the video?
Who cares if their story doesn’t add up?

You stated that he passed a line up of cars which wasn’t reported in any of the news reports = Fake news. What was reported is that he took the ditch to enter a field. Why make things up?

Yes, I will be helping my Son in Law with the harvest. I’d like to witness you calling him or one of his brothers farmer boys. That’d be highly entertaining.
Quote:
“It was just a line up of cars with a police car. The field he needed to get into was right down the road. He could see the field he needed to drive into
https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...ffic-stop/amp/

Can't really spell it out any better for you..pay specific attention to the 2nd sentence of that quote., So yes, he deliberately drove into the ditch around a line up of cars (and police car(s)), to get to enter his field which was "down the road".

Good for you, glad they found someone to make the sandwiches or was it popcorn.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not much sympathy from a lot of folks, the family reminds me of the Pilgrim clan that came to a bad end in Alaska about 20 years ago, when it came out Papa was a little to close with his daughters. They're on Facebook soliciting donations for the kid's defense. One comment was, they'll probably just use it to buy a truck.
I remember hearing about them, they got ran out of McCarthy with flaming pitchforks and an angry mob then shortly after that all the sick stuff started coming out. Pretty sure I read the old man's dead, died in the can.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:26 AM

In this case, it sounds like 2 “our **** don’t stink” groups came together lol. I’ve seen first hand some power tripping sheriffs. On same note ya I’d expect to get breathalyzered if I left a check stop line.
On another note, what’s wrong with their sign? Like as in some of us think they shouldn’t be allowed to have that up??
Old 08-12-2020, 05:45 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 100% of farmers would have done the exact same thing this kid did. Field right along highway with a line of cars blocking access for some unknown reason.....enter through the ditch. Now what transpired once the cops showed up is a different matter. Release the police body cam footage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2020, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well punk...the easy way or the hard way....

In the 70's there would have been a big cannon pointed at his skull plate....feelin'lucky punk....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-12-2020, 06:19 AM

My dad talks about how when he was a kid the local cops were completely unafraid to use their nightstick. Those old days, so many seem to pine for them, would have seen a much more physical confrontation I bet. For the record, my dad, also a farmer, would never take the ditch to “jump” the line at a checkstop as should nobody.

I grew up in a farming community. My mom has the good sense to make sure i wasn’t pulling a discer down the road with the old 1070 until I had a drivers license.

I guess his upbringing would have contributed greatly to the indiscretion on his part. Sheltered lives are interesting to say the least. From what I know of groups like this, they don’t need any GoFundMe stuff.

Do groups like that contribute that their local communities?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
A driver’s licence is not required to operate an implement of husbandry on a highway but if you are 16 years of age and younger you can only cross a highway. The individual in this instance was 18 thus no charge for operating it on a highway without a driver’s license. For sure they would have charged him for that as well if they could.
You are quoting the Ontario regs.

From the Alberta regs

Quote:
Alberta's Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation prohibits a person who is less than 14 years old from operating an implement of husbandry on a roadway.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:49 AM

The boy is lucky in this day and age the cops might have shot him
Just picture a tractor driving across the field in a hail of bullets.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
The boy is lucky in this day and age the cops might have shot him
Just picture a tractor driving across the field in a hail of bullets.
They only open fire on fire halls where people are gathered to seek safety from crazed gunmen.
Other than that, you can block highways and railways, try and set trains on fire, and drunken chiefs can even assault the police with no fear of being shot.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:11 AM

Lots of farmers are drinking by this time and the sherrifs know it. Wasn't it at 9pm? If they see a tractor driving off of the road to avoid a check stop it would definitely raise some red flags. Then the suspect is resisting. More red flags.

Everyone agrees he got out of line to avoid the check stop. I'm sure there was at least one other person that drove through the check stop that was also working. Is that excuse a "get out of check stop free card"? I don't think so.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
HunterDave, The Calgary Herald article states the following: Jeremia drove his tractor into the ditch to enter the field, bypassing the checkstop.

How about this scenario. A cop is checking one vehicle at a time, asking if the drivers had anything to drink, a regular routine. The cop sees a vehicle driving in the ditch and entering the adjacent field. The cops pull the vehicle over and ask the driver for his breath. The guy say he won’t because he is really trying to get the most of daylight in order to work the field, which happened to be where the checkstop is. The cops say they sure understand and drive away. Ridiculous, right? How is this any different? Also, if he came down from the vehicle, he wouldn’t have to be taken down, right? Probably right. Who cares if he is an alcoholic or never had a drink in his life. How is that relevant?
He wasn’t driving a Carolla.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-12-2020, 07:18 AM

Maybe the kid didn't realize it was a checkstop? Anyway, you're right....going around if he knew it was a police checkstop is wrong. I'd still like to see the body cam footage though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2020, 07:21 AM

Kind of ironic but on one thread here, we have people stating that if the man complied with law enforcement, he'd be alive. Then on this thread, we have people saying that the kid should have been coddled even though he wasn't complying with law enforcement. The brothers of Jerimiah certainly laid out a dramatic, one-sided story in order to gain public sympathy while begging for money.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Kind of ironic but on one thread here, we have people stating that if the man complied with law enforcement, he'd be alive. Then on this thread, we have people saying that the kid should have been coddled even though he wasn't complying with law enforcement. The brothers of Jerimiah certainly laid out a dramatic, one-sided story in order to gain public sympathy while begging for money.
The story is almost as dramatic as the story Allan Adam was spreading about how the police attacked and assaulted him for no reason. Almost, but not quite.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
The story is almost as dramatic as the story Allan Adam was spreading about how the police attacked and assaulted him for no reason. Almost, but not quite.
Which has little to do with this situation.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Which has little to do with this situation.
Yes, because nobody is playing the race card here. If the tractor operator was a different race, the media would be all over this, and there would likely be protests.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I refer to them as the Sundre chapter of Free Men on the land. Friend of mine, who just happens to be the Reeve, now has gates on his property, after about a dozen Leussinks mobbed him over displeasure that the county outlawed signs along the highway. They stood to lose 6000. in fees. Assault charges were contemplated. Attended the annual meeting of our local gas coop to see a twentiesh age woman at the buffet line , wearing a hunting knife with about an 8 ' blade over her dress. I said, you must be a Leussink ? Oh, how did you know ? This is their handiwork as well, in Sundre town limits, so apparently allowed.

Not much sympathy from a lot of folks,
To the ones that asked,its because of what grizzlyAdams posted that has me wondering if it was about political payback.
Also I read the Leussink side of the story direct from them and it read a bit different than the media ones but Leussinks are not talking about signs,their Reeeve or political stuff.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:57 AM

agreed and quite well put, thanks for taking the time to enunciate those thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I read it, and a couple things stick out. One, he doesn't even have a driver's license. What? So what is he doing operating a piece of farm machinery on the highway? Is that even legal, I really don't know?

And the other thing is, when the police ask you to step out of your vehicle....probably shouldn't say No! I'm not for the police demanding a breathalyzer without cause, but that's another argument. It has caused much grief for innocent people....but if they tell you to get out of your vehicle, best not to be explaining how busy you are and how important your work is or whatever. Just get out of the vehicle, and comply. Thats your best bet to get through it and be on your way.

And also, the brother trying to take the tractor and unload it 'because the police had no right to impound it'. Really? Again, not sure of all the particulars of the Traffic act, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be assuming that they had no legal right, and just take it off the trailer because.

Sounds like they need to pay for their own lawyer. And then if they are in the right, they can also sue to get the transmission fixed. Or they can fix it themselves. And next time the young fellow gets pulled over, he should probably do more listening then talking.

I think he could have got through that whole situation with a different attitude.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Wow, quite the labyrinth of small town farm life, sure gives another potential to the story with the weird insular family cultures that can develop. Those types seemed to get lots of narration of their escapades by Robert Stack around 20 years ago

I really don't know where to be on this one. Usually I'll side with LE, but I know they're not infallible. A person raised as a fundamentalist could certainly make for an ornery exchange though, there seems to be more and more of those these days, both far left and far right.
At one time, we had a bunch of the Bountiful crowd living in town, associated with their logging company. Local tire company did a thriving business with them, good for the economy.

Grizz
Old 08-12-2020, 08:32 AM

All I know is if I see a check stop, I know I can’t drive around it.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:37 AM

I am a farmer and so naturally I want to be on the side of this kid but this whole story stinks to me. I first saw this posted and shared around Facebook the other day. Reading the synopsis that is posted on the go fund me site leaves me with a lot of questions and confusion. I wasn’t there but I did have friends (also farmers) go through the same checkstop and see the tractor parked on the road. I also have friends who owned some of the adjacent land. The check stop happened down by the lagoons, there is no hay field next to there is what I was told which would make sense since the video of the cops hauling him out of the tractor takes place on the paved road and I was told the tractor was sitting on the 2A. So it would seem this fellow decided to just drive around the lineup and all the cars and cops. No wonder they went after him. The kid is 18 years old, Christian fundamentalist or not I think that anyone would know what a checkstop is and what a breathalyzer is.
Also, this big story that he was in such a hurry to get to the next field to bale hay in such a tough year???

Really?
That video is obviously at sunset on July 31, so it’s what? 9pm? Tractor isn’t even hooked to a Baler or implement of any kind. So what was he in such a big hurry to do? With the heavy rains, high humidity and big swaths this year I can garuntee he wasn’t going to go get hooked onto a Baler and be baling dry hay that night. Especially not in a non existent hay field next to that checkstop. 🙄

No wonder the police went after him, sounds to me like he purposely avoided the checkstop and then fought with police when they caught up to him.

If he had of complied and cooperated with the police I’m sure none of this would have happened.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I am a farmer and so naturally I want to be on the side of this kid but this whole story stinks to me. I first saw this posted and shared around Facebook the other day. Reading the synopsis that is posted on the go fund me site leaves me with a lot of questions and confusion. I wasn’t there but I did have friends (also farmers) go through the same checkstop and see the tractor parked on the road. I also have friends who owned some of the adjacent land. The check stop happened down by the lagoons, there is no hay field next to there is what I was told which would make sense since the video of the cops hauling him out of the tractor takes place on the paved road and I was told the tractor was sitting on the 2A. So it would seem this fellow decided to just drive around the lineup and all the cars and cops. No wonder they went after him. The kid is 18 years old, Christian fundamentalist or not I think that anyone would know what a checkstop is and what a breathalyzer is.
Also, this big story that he was in such a hurry to get to the next field to bale hay in such a tough year???

Really?
That video is obviously at sunset on July 31, so it’s what? 9pm? Tractor isn’t even hooked to a Baler or implement of any kind. So what was he in such a big hurry to do? With the heavy rains, high humidity and big swaths this year I can garuntee he wasn’t going to go get hooked onto a Baler and be baling dry hay that night. Especially not in a non existent hay field next to that checkstop. 🙄

No wonder the police went after him, sounds to me like he purposely avoided the checkstop and then fought with police when they caught up to him.

If he had of complied and cooperated with the police I’m sure none of this would have happened.
Very well said! Sure the cops maybe shouldn't have been so aggressive but then again they were trying to get a person resisting out of a dangerous piece of machinery. Play with fire you get burnt.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post

Really?

Sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation about what took place. Thats why I like this forum!
Old 08-12-2020, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, because nobody is playing the race card here. If the tractor operator was a different race, the media would be all over this, and there would likely be protests.

All I got to say is those sheriffs are so lucky he is a white boy.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:08 AM

Lets examine the facts, we have had 2 months of almost solid ran. Last two weeks has given farmers small break to try to get hay crop off without major rain damage to hay. The boy was under lot of pressure to get into field and get work done.
Then we have people that want to replace highly trained RCMP with a bunch of sheriff buffons in Alberta.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
All I know is if I see a check stop, I know I can’t drive around it.
Exactly. And checkstops always have signs up as you approach them saying checkstop ahead.