Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Residential Heating and A/C

I have three vents all in a row on the north side of the house roof; one dryer vent, one bathroom and a large stove hood vent, that all face directly into the prevailing north wind. During warm weather there is no issue, but in the winter time we get cold air pushing into the stove vent and making a cold spot by the stove. Also, the bathroom vent seems to collect snow in it that melts when you next turn the fan on. If you leave the fan running while it is snowing you don't get the melting water coming out of the fan, pressure seems to keep the snow out. At a minimum I would like to get the vents turned 180 degrees so they face south, but that also faces them into the slope of the roof so it will be a little complicated to do.

I am looking for a good tin basher heating/AC company that does good work for a fair price in the north Edmonton St Albert area. Hoping there is someone here on AO that does this work or you guys have some people you have used that you can recommend. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:15 AM

Are there flappers on the outlets, Dean? I have vents with flappers installed on 3 sides of my house, no issues.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
Are there flappers on the outlets, Dean? I have vents with flappers installed on 3 sides of my house, no issues.

There is on the large stove vent. Not sure about the two smaller ones as I can't see a flap in them from ground level. That is part of what I need the guy to have a look at, as well as inspect hosing in attic etc. I think I have located a fellow based on a recommendation from my BIL.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:37 AM

Exclamation Hope it is an easy fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
Do they really help? Or are they purely aesthetic?

OT- I recently had to replace a couple nonmetallic wall vent caps due to weathering/deterioration of the hinges. They were seized about halfway open. The airflow inside was the giveaway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flappers.jpg (32.3 KB, 42 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-25-2020, 12:29 PM

They should all have flappers on them to prevent wind/birds/rodents from getting into the house.
Do you have a tall enough ladder to climb up there and inspect them? If you have any mechanical abilities, it Shouldn’t be a job where you’d need to call a tin basher.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
They should all have flappers on them to prevent wind/birds/rodents from getting into the house.
Do you have a tall enough ladder to climb up there and inspect them? If you have any mechanical abilities, it Shouldn’t be a job where you’d need to call a tin basher.

There is a big difference between can do and want to do.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Do they really help? Or are they purely aesthetic?

OT- I recently had to replace a couple nonmetallic wall vent caps due to weathering/deterioration of the hinges. They were seized about halfway open. The airflow inside was the giveaway.
I have no drafts or cold spots , so I’d say they work just fine. Good luck with your project, Dean.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:35 PM

Not sure about a tin basher, but as far as heating and a/c guy, I know an awesome one that can probably get you in the right direction for who you need.
PM incoming