Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Question Sturgeon around Medicine Hat

I've noticed that the sturgeon fishing around Medicine Hat in the few spots I fish are slowing down considerably - is this due to the water levels in the river changing? Or would they be moving along the river to other locations?

At that - fishing the river right now seems pretty slow in general!

Just curious if anybody had any insight or thoughts?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coearle View Post
I've noticed that the sturgeon fishing around Medicine Hat in the few spots I fish are slowing down considerably - is this due to the water levels in the river changing? Or would they be moving along the river to other locations?

I've been outta town for a couple weeks so have no idea what level the riv is at but I can tell you that primetime for us Hatters who like our Sturgies has come and is likely gone. U will still catch them all summer long but not as often as season open. They should be moving along down the river now I reckon. However, the Goldies and Walters should be a plenty around now.
My favorite time to wrangle sturg is from opening day right up till about mid-June. Then it slows down considerably. May is the ticket in the Hat IMO

Who knows though, with all the recent threads about the boyz catching sturgeon right, left, and center outta the NSR lately, maybe the SSR sturg grew wings and flew North lol.

Cheers n GL
Old 07-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:

this time of year they typically start heading to the locations they overwinter and remain there until next spring...
Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

That's kind of what I assumed. I enjoy catching Goldeye anyways! Probably should drop my hook size down then.

One other question - FishFinder - you mentioned Walters? Not familiar with that one!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM

walleye
Old 07-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
this time of year they typically start heading to the locations they overwinter and remain there until next spring...

TY...do they all over winter in the river?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
TY...do they all over winter in the river?
lots of the ones in sask overwinter in the reservoirs, but some in really deep holes in the river as well. If there are larger lakes they can get into by way of tribs they will head there too, which is why there are sturgeon in Candle Lake here in sask.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
lots of the ones in sask overwinter in the reservoirs, but some in really deep holes in the river as well. If there are larger lakes they can get into by way of tribs they will head there too, which is why there are sturgeon in Candle Lake here in sask.

Years ago..we helped do a study on sturgeon in the Oldman we caught sturgeon for the study group who tagged them. We only fished a hole locally known as the Hutt-Hole it was 29 feet deep at peak and most winters 18 feet,not 1 tagged sturgeon over wintered in that hole. So ive always ignorantly assumed they drop back
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Years ago..we helped do a study on sturgeon in the Oldman we caught sturgeon for the study group who tagged them. We only fished a hole locally known as the Hutt-Hole it was 29 feet deep at peak and most winters 18 feet,not 1 tagged sturgeon over wintered in that hole. So ive always ignorantly assumed they drop back
yeah that was the same for a lot of the sturgeon I tagged as well, they were caught in a deep hole but would over winter in either one of several holes back downstream or in the nearest downstream res.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Better early everywhere but when river level drops and becomes more settled they will not be moving as much and found in sturgeon holes or pockets.
Jet boat guys know where they are....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
I've been outta town for a couple weeks so have no idea what level the riv is at but I can tell you that primetime for us Hatters who like our Sturgies has come and is likely gone. U will still catch them all summer long but not as often as season open. They should be moving along down the river now I reckon. However, the Goldies and Walters should be a plenty around now.
My favorite time to wrangle sturg is from opening day right up till about mid-June. Then it slows down considerably. May is the ticket in the Hat IMO

Who knows though, with all the recent threads about the boyz catching sturgeon right, left, and center outta the NSR lately, maybe the SSR sturg grew wings and flew North lol.

Cheers n GL
Old 07-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Better early everywhere but when river level drops and becomes more settled they will not be moving as much and found in sturgeon holes or pockets.
I dont doubt that one at all, most of the overwintering holes we found were quite remote to anyone without a jet
Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
That's kind of what I assumed. I enjoy catching Goldeye anyways! Probably should drop my hook size down then.

One other question - FishFinder - you mentioned Walters? Not familiar with that one!
Like TyreeUM stated. Walters=Walleye. Just my nickname for them

Yes, use small hooks for goldeye. I agree, they are fun to catch! But taste like poopoo imo.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Agreed and jealous
Old 07-18-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt go too small with your hooks, unless you plan on keeping the goldeyes, they hit hard and take the bait deep, a bigger hook helps , they have pretty big mouths and can swallow a good sized hook. hit the Bow tonight after work and we caught probably 25 or so mooneyes, and they were jumping pretty good around sundown, lots of them around now.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich