Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Default Braid to flouro knots??

I have currently been tying back to back UNI knots to join my flourocarbon leader to my braid and on 2 occasions now, one of those 2 knots have failed. Once with clipping weed tops and once on a pike strike. I have read this is a good knot application for joining these two lines, but 2 lures lost to knot failure doesnt impress me. Maybe a small swivel in the mix?? any one else had similar issue? I'm fairly sure my knots have cinched up nicely and given the old spit lube for the snugging.. What gives??? Any advice for better knot selection or if anyone has had same annoying issue.... lemme know!!! Cant afford losing rapalas in pike lips without putting up a fight first.. Thanks all
Old 07-16-2011, 09:06 AM

what type of fluoro? The vanish I had couldn't hold a knot worth sheet... same uni-uni knot I use with braid to mono and other fluoro that always works well, the Vanish just sucks.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 AM

This is a rapala leader flouro! Maybe it just sucks too then! So that knot combo works great for you with the new line? Thought my knot choice or the actual tying was the suspect for a while. Thanks. New spool of flouro may keep the costly cranks on I hope..... watch out gators !!!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM

All we do is put a swivel in between the 2 , this way we have 2 seperate knotts !! also prevents line twisting ..
Old 07-16-2011, 09:46 AM

Use an albright knot, nail knot, or a "loop to loop" connection.

LC
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM

there is a leader called a shock leader that you use for making long casts, they have a similar problem and there is a specific knot used to tie the braided shock leader to the mono or flouro, should be able to find it on the net.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM

I use the uni to uni as well. One thing I have found is wrapping the braid 2-3 more times through the loop helps to make the uni knots similar in size, which I found eliminated slippage.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Double uni knot
Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 PM

This may be BS, but i have read somewhere that it's not great to use saliva to wet your knots. Saliva has digestive enzymes that can break down your line... weakening it at the knots. Again i read it, probably someones opinion, but you just never know... maybe there is some truth to it..
Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
This may be BS, but i have read somewhere that it's not great to use saliva to wet your knots. Saliva has digestive enzymes that can break down your line... weakening it at the knots. Again i read it, probably someones opinion, but you just never know... maybe there is some truth to it..
Well the enzymes in our saliva only breaks down starches. So if you're using organic line, then yeah
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM

I was looking at the uni knot and I think I can see the problem. I don't think that it is the knot itself that is failing. It is where the 2 pieces of line are contacting each other. You have 1 line cutting right through the other when pressure is applied. It is basically a loop holding on to another loop. I would think that the braid (being the stronger of the 2) was cutting through the flouro. If you would have looked at the end of your line, I suspect the knot would have been still tied perfectly on the end of the line, not that the knot itself came unraveled.

The knot below uses wraps of line around the other line to hold the 2 different types of line together. Give this a try before buying new flouro.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albrigh...matedknots.com
Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:

P instead I guess.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM

If you go to KNOT WARS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_2xautA1U) they compare the uni to uni vs the Modified Albright Knot. The Modified Albright is the current champ for what you may be doing. But please note for very thick Flouro leader material you will probably have to go to a swivel and a canoe knot or crimp system (IMHO). Personally I have never had the Modified Albright fail on me.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM

double grinner if im at home with good light and my specs on.
in the field i polamar a ant in
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
2x best is to use water.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
what type of fluoro? The vanish I had couldn't hold a knot worth sheet... same uni-uni knot I use with braid to mono and other fluoro that always works well, the Vanish just sucks.
X2
Old 07-18-2011, 05:14 PM

I am not sure there are any digestive enzymes that can break down flouro...but if you find the article send it as I would like to read it as I am always up for some book learnin
Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM

I use the double uni as well with saliva. Haven't had a problem yet.

Is your line snapping or is the knot untying?

I don't like the swivel because I don't want to reel it into my guides. Personal prefference
Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 PM

Try a blood knot, I had a buddy that used to back his braid with mono.
He always used the blood and a touch of zapa gap.
Virtually seamless if done properly.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM

How heavy is the fluoro leader you're using?

I use either 30lb or 50lb Big Game fluoro leader material depending on the situation, and that stuff is terrible to tie. The 30lb is somewhat workable, and the 50lb is worthless without crimp sleeves.

Usually I'll just tie a snap swivel on to my main line, then I'll tie a loop on the end of my leader, and just hook that through the snap. Sometimes - especially if I'm tossing big hardware for pike I'll also put an extra swivel on the end of my leader before attaching it to the snap. Makes it quick and easy if a leader gets mangled and you need to swap it out.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM

Check out this site, it should answer your question.
http://www.proknot.com/html/fishing_knots.html