Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM

Default A couple Old Reels

These were given to me from my Grandpa , years ago and just found them , I have a few more also but still searching for them .

The one is either a Mooching reel or a huge fly reel , the other is a baitcaster . I have been working on cleaning them up and replaced the grease, trying to find screws that will fit that plate and going to use that baitcaster .

Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 PM

It sure lookks like a fly reel. Whats the name on it?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
It sure lookks like a fly reel. Whats the name on it?
The thing is the size of it a bit smaller than a small plate its huge , COndex is the name on the side but Ive found little info about it .
Old 05-03-2013, 04:27 PM

Looks like a J.W.Young 'Condex' English made fly reel. the turquoise ones are desirable for collectors. Not big bucks but a popular collector reel. The larger ones (they came in a variety of sizes) where made for Salmon fishing. This one looks to be early 50"s. Clean it up and give it a coat of wax to bring up the color.

Here's what they look like originally

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Looks like a J.W.Young 'Condex' English made fly reel. the turquoise ones are desirable for collectors. Not big bucks but a popular collector reel. The larger ones (they came in a variety of sizes) where made for Salmon fishing. This one looks to be early 50"s. Clean it up and give it a coat of wax to bring up the color.

Here's what they look like originally

That's awesome , where did you find out that info , that fly / mooching reel is really beautiful , I have another one but its smaller a little more than the diameter of a coffee cup which I'd call a fly reel . Thanks for that info .
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 PM

cool reels!!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 PM

That's awesome , where did you find out that info , that fly / mooching reel is really beautiful , I have another one but its smaller a little more than the diameter of a coffee cup which I'd call a fly reel . Thanks for that info .
-------------------------------------------
I've collected old reels/rods for many years and researching vintage fly gear is a hobby, have a number of old catalogs and books.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations