Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Default Calling lake?

I have an iPhone app with the fishing regulations on it and it says walleye limit 1 any size, and pike limit 1 any size, but I heard the limit was 2 walleye 45cm-55cm and one pike over 63cm.

Anyone know the actual limit? I'm on my way to the lake right now.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:44 PM

In the fishing regs for Calling lake 2 walleye between 45cm -55cm and 1 pike over 63 cm
Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall4u View Post
In the fishing regs for Calling lake 2 walleye between 45cm -55cm and 1 pike over 63 cm
Thanks man, I guess that should be a warning to anyone who relies on the iPhone app!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:44 PM

just a side note if you want to keep some walleye good luck... i was out last weekend and the fishing was amazing but try catching one inside that size limit was hard... biggest one was well over 13 pounds... and pike biggest was 16 pounds...
Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 PM

I have my doubts about a 13 lb walleye. Better check that scale.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninimaafan View Post
I have my doubts about a 13 lb walleye. Better check that scale.
Have you fished calling lake lately? It's not what it was like 6 years ago but there are some hogs in there. 13lbs is big, but not out of the question.

It was hard to find them between 45-55 but we managed to limit out. Lots in the 60-70 rang and no pike! I have a hard time finding pike in that lake, and my depthfinder cord was broken so I had to "fish by feel" to find the walleye. Still had over 20 fish in the boat in about 3hrs of fishing.

I did talk to the f&w officer and let him know about the iPhone app.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Have you fished calling lake lately? It's not what it was like 6 years ago but there are some hogs in there. 13lbs is big, but not out of the question.

It was hard to find them between 45-55 but we managed to limit out. Lots in the 60-70 rang and no pike! I have a hard time finding pike in that lake, and my depthfinder cord was broken so I had to "fish by feel" to find the walleye. Still had over 20 fish in the boat in about 3hrs of fishing.

I did talk to the f&w officer and let him know about the iPhone app.
I have fished calling hard for the last two years i doubt anyone is going to catch a 13lb walleye in there. All the fish in that lake are extemely skinny both pike and walleye. Could it be done? Yes but i would want to see pictures of it hanging from a scale. Biggest i have caught in there is about 69cm. Biggest i have heard of was 75cm. That was from the fish cops who are there every weekend. I have stopped going there as the fillets you get off a fish in the slot size are to small. This lake needs way more bait fish to sustain the walleye population. A healthy perch population would be nice as well.

Great lake if you want to hook someone on fishing with constant walleye action.

As for the APP never trust it. It has some useful hints but i prefer to keep a copy of the regs in my truck.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post
I have fished calling hard for the last two years i doubt anyone is going to catch a 13lb walleye in there. All the fish in that lake are extemely skinny both pike and walleye. Could it be done? Yes but i would want to see pictures of it hanging from a scale. Biggest i have caught in there is about 69cm. Biggest i have heard of was 75cm. That was from the fish cops who are there every weekend. I have stopped going there as the fillets you get off a fish in the slot size are to small. This lake needs way more bait fish to sustain the walleye population. A healthy perch population would be nice as well.

As for the APP never trust it. It has some useful hints but i prefer to keep a copy of the regs in my truck.
Nail on the head.

I have caught a few around the 72 cm range that were about 8lbs at the most but they should have been about the 12 lb mark if they were feed right. Very skinny. Allways look in the printed regs as they make a hell of a defence for the officer that wants to give you a ticket and they are wrong. Hard to prove something if its not in writeing. I carry the regs with me all the time.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post

My biggest so far is 86cm, I find the big ones when I go the "other" way. My dad and his friend went out 2 weeks ago and caught a 12lb'er. I always troll with big raps, usually copper/orange. I don't have a scale, but I got a tape and a camera, so I can't tell you how much the fish weigh, but it makes fish stories easier to tell with a straight face.

Your right about the fillets on the little guys, but I'd rather have a fun day fishing and small fish to bring home, than a slow day on the lake and no fish to bring home! Fishing for sustenance went out with the 80's in Alberta. Poor regulations made up by albertas finest for too long has killed off most of our fisheries. I'm all for slot sizes, but it's time to bump up the catch limits on some of our lakes. The fish in calling lake are starving to death because of too many mature fish compared to the amount of bait fish. Pigeon and wolf are well on their way just to name a couple. Alberta desperately needs someone who knows what their doing in charge of our regulations. I don't think it's the sport fisherman killing all the fish. Two days with a square hook net more fish than I gross in a decade! Just sayin.