Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

Default Outboard issues

So i bought an 8 horse evinrude yesterday. It seems to have a lil issue, hopefully one of you fellas with more experience can tell me whats wrong. It starts and runs like a top. Works like a charm until you get to about half throttle, then it seems to kinda kick outta gear. The motor keeps reving but youre not going anywhere until you let off for a second, once you let off for just a split second then get back on the throttle its good again til you hit the same point. It sounds like a belt drive quad with a slipping belt, lots of revs, no go. Im thinkin maybe a stripped cog in the leg? Anybody had this kind of issue?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 PM

I busted a plastic piece in the throttle linkage that sounds like this. Follow the linkages back. It was a long time ago but i did epoxy the piece together until I got a new one. It was a doozer to get at. It has about a 2 2/2 inch linkage going to the plastic that runs up and down if I remember correctly.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

I dont think its anything throttle related, the throttle works great, im thinking the problem is in the "driveline" in between the motor and the prop.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Could be your prop is spun-try another prop.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Thought about this some more. I ran the motor for the rest of the week with the cover off by jury rigging a piece of wood to get into the higher pwer range. From memory from the twist throttle about half way back it engages another mechanism (direction change) which gets it off high idle which sounds like you're in. The other mechanism has the plastic piece farther back that broke. It actually looks like the flywheel etc needs to come off to change it but I did it without dismantling anything. By the time I got the new one I had some special screwdrivers bent just right. JB weld did work. I got the parts at boat mart Red Deer North end
OOps was typing when you posted. My problem sure sounded the same. There is a direction change. I couldn't get into high RPMs just to what I call high idle. I could still troll all day just couldn't get back to the trailer for a beer fast enough unless I jammed the throttle open.

Last edited by bagwan; 07-17-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

Is there a torque rubber at the center hub that might be torn and does not hold when more torque/throttle is applied.???..
Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpppark View Post
Could be your prop is spun-try another prop.
Never heard this before. What exactly is a spun prop? What are the symptons?

Bagwan, its not a motor issue at all. When i hit the spot where th trouble starts, the motor continues to rev, the problem is that the torque comin outta th motor dosnt make it to the water, when it kicks out the motor isnt under load, its like it slips into neutral.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM

The prop has a rubber sleeve in it that protects the drive line from shock if you happen to hit a rock. Once these slip they generally need replacing. A simple check is to try your spare prop and if you don't have one you really should buy one. eBay is your friend.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

Ahhhhhhh i get it. And that sounds like EXACTLY what would cause this issue.

Dont have a spare but im runnin over to steal my neighbors right now lol.

This place is awesome. Good info and fast. Thanks a ton for you help yall
Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 PM

If you don't have a spare try this. Pull your prop and draw a line through the center from the prop right across the inner bushing. Take it out on the water and if the problem presents itself again pull the prop and see if your lines are still lined up. If not, it has spun. There are prop repair shops but on one that small new is probably just as economical. If it isn't spun then it could be your clutch dog in the gear case. It will give a hard thump popping in and out of gear. Rick.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Like Rick said
Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Holy cow props are pricey lol. Whats a good shop to deal with in Edmonton? Im tryin not to do any business with the one in Slave lol
Old 07-18-2011, 05:22 PM

I second (or third or whatever) the spun prop theory. Had it happen on an old old Merc years ago. The prop had the rubber bushing and was worn and as you rev up and increase water resistance on the prop, it will slip and spin on the rubber bushing. New prop, voila- just like new.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM

I don't know of a shop that does it. But, I have seen people post about an Edmonton shop that repairs props. Call a marine shop and they might be able to tell you who. How much were they on Ebay? Rick.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:04 PM

I just had a very similiar experience with my Merc. Sent the prop to a repair shop and they replaced the rubber sleeve/bushing. Put the prop back on the motor and tested it last Sunday. Good as new.
(Cost was $171.00 New Zealand dollars - new prop down here for my 115hp Merc is about $1K)
Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I just had a very similiar experience with my Merc. Sent the prop to a repair shop and they replaced the rubber sleeve/bushing. Put the prop back on the motor and tested it last Sunday. Good as new.
(Cost was $171.00 New Zealand dollars - new prop down here for my 115hp Merc is about $1K)
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????

I can buy 5 blade stainless props for far less for my 5.0L Merc!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM

Not wanting to steal this thread, but in response to KenAO - this is a beautiful place to live, but bloody expensive. The Merc dealer will give me a "deal" on a 3 blade stainless prop (Vengeance) for $750.00 Other shops are $1K. New Honda 150 -4 stroke is $24,000.00 NZ. You want to see guns, ammo, fishing lure prices.
regards,
Gary
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

I talked to somebody at a prop shop this aft, through the thick accent and hacked english i think i heard it would be almost 300 bucks to get this one fixed. Booooo
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 AM

Smile

Here is a great place to order your parts on line.

http://www.boats.net/

Just find your brand. Find the year and model number that's on your motor. Then search the site for it. Once you find the model then you can click on it and it gives you a complete break down of parts for the whole engine and also prices. The pricing looks pretty good.

I just broke my handle off of my 15 hp Evenrude last week. I'll have to take it appart tomorrow and see what parts I need.

Rob