Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Canoe rental, Camping, Walleye and Pike. New here. Ideas?

Hey guys. I'm hoping to get some advise. I'm most familiar with camping and fishing the Quetico and BWCAW (stateside). The group is all technology people and we would like to get far far away from cellular towers. Not familiar with the parks and area. Ideally a canoe rental with some lightly populated (not populated is better) backcountry campsites and good walleye/pike fishing would be great. Not afraid of portages. Edmonton is home, but from the description we're willing to travel a reasonable distance (less than a day travel is preferred). Also would like to filet the catch, so CNR is not the goal (except for the little guys, who we'd like to see grow into big guys). We're familiar with all the standards of bush backcountry camping, but campfires are strongly preferred (I hate stoves), and we will preserve the environment. Clean water and pristine surroundings strongly prefered, lack of motors definate bonus. Abundance of wildlife also a bonus. We'll be heading out in mid August. Hiking is also a possibility. Would not be opposed to and may encourage a 5+ kilometer journey to XXXX. Any ideas?

One last question... The regulations state 3 max of pike and walleye. Is that total keepers for the season, the trip, or just how many we have on ice at any given point in time?

Don't have the special walleye license either, so that might factor in.

Thank you in advance!

Tags
backcountry, camping, edmonton, pike, walleye