Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow
Default CAN a loaded cartridge go off if the bullet is pulled out?

So In my hunting circles a debate has been raging that a loaded round can go off if you pry the bullet out. I call BS on it because there is no way the powder can go off if the bullets just pulled out. Providing you are not squeezing the primer in any way. Or am I wrong?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM

I saw it happen. When we were kids my buddy and I found a live round and were playing with it. His dad thought he would educate us. He put the round in a vice and pried out the bullet. Then somehow the primer went off and shot through his thumb, making a bloody mess. He sure did educate us, though not quite in the way he intended!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Maybe if you were pulling bullets while sitting in a fire....

So, yeah, not possible.

I just pulled 20 rounds of 30-06 the other night... still have my head!
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvLAsyTVC0

Send the fearful to watch this video.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I saw it happen. When we were kids my buddy and I found a live round and were playing with it. His dad thought he would educate us. He put the round in a vice and pried out the bullet. Then somehow the primer went off and shot through his thumb, making a bloody mess. He sure did educate us, though not quite in the way he intended!
Was it a rimfire? Was he hitting it with a hammer? Had the primer already been struck by a firing pin (misfire)?
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It probably went off because he crushed the primer in the vice?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Faux View Post
Was it a rimfire? Was he hitting it with a hammer? Had the primer already been struck by a firing pin (misfire)?
Centerfire I think (recall it seemed larger than a .22, which I was familiar with when younger). No hammering but could have gotten squeezed in vice. We found the round outside so I have no idea whether it was a misfire or what had been done to it before.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Rounds don't "go off" if the primer is ignited outside a chamber to contain the brass. It will go "Pffft" and that's it. The brass will move fast enough to possibly break the skin, but not penetrate a coat.

Ever heard of firefighters halting to find out if there's any ammo in a house before they approach? That's why. It's not an issue.

OK's dad used a vice to anchor the brass, hence it launched the bullet.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 AM

A friend of mine had a round go off when he was using his inertia bullet puller....made a hell of a bang....lucky no one got hurt. He tossed it ASAP and got a collet puller die.

LC
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 PM

It is possible (unlikely,but, has happened) with the hammer type pullers, the collet style in a press won't do it.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 AM

X3 on a collet puller, if the round didn't go off when the bullet was being loaded, there's no reason a collet puller would set it off when removing it. Rimfire ammo is another matter entirely, I can't imagine a safe way to pull that stuff apart.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A friend of mine had a round go off when he was using his inertia bullet puller....made a hell of a bang....lucky no one got hurt. He tossed it ASAP and got a collet puller die.

LC
Yip happened to me too. Pulling a 308 Norma rd. Scared the crap outta me.

Wasn't going to mention it, because I didn't think anyone would believe me.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Yip happened to me too. Pulling a 308 Norma rd. Scared the crap outta me.

Wasn't going to mention it, because I didn't think anyone would believe me.
Yah this happened within the past year. The guy who it happened to is as experienced at handloading as anyone else I personally know. I tossed my inertia puller out as well, and got the RCBS collet die puller.

We discussed what could have caused it and thought MAYBE the primer was loose in the pocket and slightly came out....then back in on a down stroke and was enough to set it off?

.....it only takes one time to make you wish you weren't using it.

LC
Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 AM

i use my 'hammer puller' for setting pins and drifting sights, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 AM

I been pulling bullets since the 70's never had one go off
Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
X3 on a collet puller, if the round didn't go off when the bullet was being loaded, there's no reason a collet puller would set it off when removing it. Rimfire ammo is another matter entirely, I can't imagine a safe way to pull that stuff apart.
yikes when I was a kid I used to use 2 sets of pliers...one on the brass one on the bullet and yank/twist them apart...never had one go off. perhaps not the safest thing to do?