Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 AM

Default Truck hunting vs foot

I will first start out by saying im not passing judgement and as long as its all legal who am i to say how someone should hunt.

Yesterday i went out to the area i have been hunting this season, in previous hunts i have found lots of fresh sign and even though i know this is a high pressure area (especially on weekends) my days are becoming more and more limited and i would like to fill my tags.
I got to the lease i park at 45 minutes before legal light, i tip toed into my spot near a heavily used game trail that passes by a couple good scrapes. I sit quietly and i wait. Three hours into my hunt here comes two fellows on a side by side ripping down the cut line near by. I was not impressed but what can you do? They had no idea i was there. I made myself visible and chatted with them for a few minutes and off they went. I remained in my spot for another hour but decided to go and try another spot close by that has also showed promise. So again i quietly walk to the next spot and was just about to set up when a pick up truck comes bouncing through the snow! Again they had no idea i was there and its not their fault but by this time i was ****ed and felt like it was a wasted day. I figured if you cant beat em, join em, and on my way back to my truck i saw two more pick ups driving cut lines and trails.
So after that long winded story i ask, Are guys in trucks having that much success that this is becoming the way to hunt? Is this how we are teaching the next generation? I personally enjoy my time in the outdoors, even if i dont fire my gun i love seeing the woods come to life.
Whats everyones thoughts on this?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Hunt where the machines can't go.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Default Just have to stick it out.

I’ve had lots of critters poke their heads out after vehicles have gone by on cut lines and such.
One time I killed a great 5x5 white tail five minutes after a truck stopped on the road and started blasting at a doe and two fawns in the field I was sitting in. I had no time to go anywhere else so I just waited and out he came.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Legal hunting is legal hunting...now that being said I have shot some nice bucks just after a ATV or truck drove past...they just simply slip into the forest out of sight to make thier appearance a few moments later...don't share this with the others though

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 AM

I have been hunting elk,moose,caribou and deer for 50 years. Never had any jump into the back of my pick-up. Always needed a good pair of boots to go where they go!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Some areas truck hunt and some I walk or sit! I have had great success both ways. Biggest buck I have ever killed was truck hunting! I don't truck hunt much any more I like being out walking and sitting! It gives me a lot more time to take a shot. But for your question about do they have success yes I have had days that I have seen 200 plus deer and another that 3 of us harvested 5 deer in one day! If I where you I would find some privet land you can't drive on! Good luck and yes when some one drives by you the fun starts soon after that I find! Same with some one shooting close by I find it gets them moving!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 AM

I feel your pain. Similar situation last weekend. I hunted a piece of land that I had permission for Saturday evening. Same place I shot my buck last year. An hour before the sun goes down I hear the whine of snowmobiles and headlights coming in my direction. Three guys on sleds do 2 passes around my area then stop near where I was sitting. They had no idea I was there. I stood up and waved, making myself visible. I hear" oh sh*t" and they all take off. I've also had a truck drive out and sit other weekends. I don't think I'll go back there this year
Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 AM

Thus the "no weapons on OHVs before noon" rule. At least we get half a day of peace and quiet.

Anyway, yes I've seen some animals while driving to and from spots. Can't say I've ever shot any of them, besides chickens, but if one was inclined I guess it's do-able. Mostly I think these guys just want to get out of the house.

As others have stated, don't worry about it. The biggest buck I've seen this year lives on public land right next to a highway and an established snowmobile trail, and knows exactly how not to get shot.

Last edited by 3blade; 11-20-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I’ve had lots of critters poke their heads out after vehicles have gone by on cut lines and such.
One time I killed a great 5x5 white tail five minutes after a truck stopped on the road and started blasting at a doe and two fawns in the field I was sitting in. I had no time to go anywhere else so I just waited and out he came.
good advice I been there wait it out save your gas lol and good luck
Old 11-20-2017, 11:34 AM

A few weeks ago I parked my truck outside the gate of land I have permission on before legal hunting light. I'm walking along a trail and up behind me comes a truck with hunters in it. They have permission too, but jeezzz. They had to drive by my truck, open the gate, and drive by me, to start hunting a few hundred yards ahead of me. I'd never pull that on another hunter. I just sighed, shook my head, turned around, and left.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:18 PM

Default Conservation Land

I've actually had some issues on ACA land, but since its crown, they can not enforce the foot access only policy. Can't do anything about it and its too bad because I liked hunting that site. I never got to talk to the trucks as once they saw me walking they turned around. Even though its crown land, it seems silly to me that a hunter would drive around on a foot access only site. I understand a family quading on it, but a hunter that most likely preaches conservation? Oh well, more scouting needed next year for a quieter spot!
Old 11-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Big game animals that live bye the road die bye the road. Simply put if you choose to hunt near trails then expect vehicles to be passing bye. Or else head into the bush beyond the trails and set up.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:15 PM

It's amazing how many people don't apply the before noon rule with a TVs I know legally in trucks you can drive before noon but you're not supposed to on quads yet they do

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
It's amazing how many people don't apply the before noon rule with a TVs I know legally in trucks you can drive before noon but you're not supposed to on quads yet they do

Yup have seen it a lot......actually kinda of pees me off.......
Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 PM

I dont live in my hunting area so my first day or two are spent glassing from the truck or checking whats what on the quad

Then I sometimes set up a blind or find a tree and sit.

After 12, i might cruise the crown land for grouse or moose if i have a tag.

I rarely hunt crown land for deer.

There are times I’ve seen deer while driving. And if I have permission I’ll go into the field and shoot it

I don’t believe anyone is better or worse for walking miles or parking and taking their animals

I do find that quietly sitting in a spot is quite productive though
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Both legal if in the parameters of fish and wildlife hunting laws in alberta. Pick one. Both produce results. Your choice . If you don`t like vehicular interference with your hunt...go where vehicles can not go...simple.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Maybe they'll be happier when they can't use them 7am til 7pm or only to transport kills? With no firearms on board.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I have been hunting elk,moose,caribou and deer for 50 years. Never had any jump into the back of my pick-up. Always needed a good pair of boots to go where they go!
I think the boots better define hunting ..as opposed to driving around hoping for a chance to shoot at something. Road laps and looking, and on -the- ground hunting are entirely two different things IMO but..
we used to hunt Moose with a team & wagon so maybe not that much difference after all. The good old days are now. Enjoy them while you can.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 PM

I'll mix it up. I won't pass something up, when I'm in the mood to bring something home just because I spotted it from the truck. Sometimes it's a bit more challenging driving past, parking, loading and running up for an ambush!

I like to go where others don't, though and being on foot. Sometimes it's crossing a creek where others won't, or just following a trail at the end of a dead end, or cutting through the trees.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM

Annoying when I park and start to make track, and then someone drives by.

Why?! The middle of hunting season, one set of boot tracks; either I'm scaring them off for you or you're scaring them off for me.

Last time that happened on a short dead end road, I just slammed the truck door shut (was just getting out to walk), and treated the wildlife and my "partner" in the truck ahead to a nice display of my truck's sound system and lights. Then at the end of the road I turned around, and did some horn tests periodically on the way out.

I know the 2 WT that I jumped on the way out appreciated the display.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:19 PM

I always take time off work to hunt WT so for me its normally 90% on foot and 10% by truck. I normally go deep where trucks don't go. Now one guy I know well started following my tracks now that there is snow on the ground. Today, I found him deep in the bush, sitting 50 meters from my blind.

He was there first and stared at each other for a few seconds and I turned around and went to an other spot. Not even 10 minutes later, he drives right by where I am parked and getting ready to go in the bush and gets his truck stuck right next to my truck. After 5 min of revving his engine to get out, he drives out and rolls down his window and yells "HEY MAN, WHAT'S UP?", I asked him if he was going to hit the spot where my blind was again today and he said no, that was at about 1100am, I went back to my blind and sat there, two hours later a 150" deer came out... The deer are constantly on the move, I learn to hunt around the truck hunters, sometime they push deer out for me, sometimes they spook them, it is what it is.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post
The deer are constantly on the move, I learn to hunt around the truck hunters, sometime they push deer out for me, sometimes they spook them, it is what it is.
Yup! I'm always happiest a bit off the beaten path.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:55 PM

Spent a great day hunting with my daughter a few days ago. Weather as absolute garbage and windy but any time spent walking the fields with my kids is a win for me. Saw a couple does early on but they were a bit young still. Daughter is in the midst of her hunting course so I asked her for her opinion, sure enough it was to let them grow (happy moment). Well we trekked all over the place stopping for an a bit here and there to sit and watch. Only other animal we saw was a spiker. After seven or eight hours of not much luck the kid's hands were getting cold (she was toughing it out with a poor choice of glove for the thrill of hunting) and I decided to pack it in for the day. She was sad but secretly relieved to warm her hands. I saw the look of despair so I told her we would drive down the side road of the quarter to the other gate to see if we can spot anything pack that way before we leave.

Sure enough she spots eight does bounding up through the wood line towards the truck. I park, get out, head to the fence and load up just in time for the bigger one to stop broadside to me at about 35 yards. I'm by no means a truck hunter but I am also not about to pass up on a late day gift from the hunting gods either.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 PM

Default truck hunt

hard to say without knowing forsake