Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 PM

Default Ridge and St. Mary's Res

Anyone have experience ice fishing either of these two reservoirs. Heading out with some buddies on the weekend to try for some pike walleye and burbot before they close.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Be careful out at Ridge. I was there last week and there was some pretty good patches that were either open water or very thin ice covering what was open water.

With this snow covering the ice now it could be tough to know what type of ice you will be walking on.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 PM

CPR had a few open holes Sunday. Spring is a coming!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM

So did park lake and Keho!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM

hot damn, sound like the seasons coming to a close, we will be careful.

thanks guys.

npauls how was the fishing out on Ridge??
Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Didn't end up dropping a line out there. I was by myself and went for a drive but did have the gear with me. I figured better to be safe and just came home after touring around the entire lake and checked out cross coulee also.

I am hoping to find out from someone who is around that area soon if there is enough open water yet to drop the boat in Ridge before the season closes. If not I guess I will have to hit up Payne or police to get the motor running and get everything checked out for the upcoming walleye season.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM

Was walkin around Henderson in Lethbridge today.. Almost enough open water there to toss a fly or a spoon.. Spring won't be long! Be careful if your thinking of going out..
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Drove out to Ridge today. Would watch out on that ice this weekend, it will be dangerous
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Didn't end up dropping a line out there. I was by myself and went for a drive but did have the gear with me. I figured better to be safe and just came home after touring around the entire lake and checked out cross coulee also.

I am hoping to find out from someone who is around that area soon if there is enough open water yet to drop the boat in Ridge before the season closes. If not I guess I will have to hit up Payne or police to get the motor running and get everything checked out for the upcoming walleye season.
I have heard the county is planning to instal a new 200 foot dock /marina: at ridge park for the upcoming season,this was a long time coming.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone hunting View Post
I have heard the county is planning to instal a new 200 foot dock /marina: at ridge park for the upcoming season,this was a long time coming.
I don't think I have ever been on the dock at ridge. I am usually far away from there fishing in the boat except one time last year when Dan Foss decided to bring his boat down to check things out. I had to head in early to be at my nephews birthday party. As we were packing up from trolling spinners his engine decided to act up and we ended up trolling all the way back to the launch. We fished out in front of the dock area for a bit and I think he anchored up out there after I left for awhile. Other then that I try to stay away from all the ski and wake board boats when I am out there.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Drove out to Ridge today. Would watch out on that ice this weekend, it will be dangerous
Not sounding too good, have to drill some test holes before walking out then.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think I have ever been on the dock at ridge. I am usually far away from there fishing in the boat except one time last year when Dan Foss decided to bring his boat down to check things out. I had to head in early to be at my nephews birthday party. As we were packing up from trolling spinners his engine decided to act up and we ended up trolling all the way back to the launch. We fished out in front of the dock area for a bit and I think he anchored up out there after I left for awhile. Other then that I try to stay away from all the ski and wake board boats when I am out there.
I understand that the new dock will be located by the boat launch replacing the small wooden dock that was always under water.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I understand that the new dock will be located by the boat launch replacing the small wooden dock that was always under water.
Oh sweet. Now if I pick up anyone from there I won't have to run up on shore to get them on the boat.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Oh sweet. Now if I pick up anyone from there I won't have to run up on shore to get them on the boat.
excellent... hint..hint.. haha
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I saw them doing major reno's there in the fall complete overhaul of the camping area and boat launch, maybe even fix up the road. Believe they are going to charge for launching boat now too.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 PM

Don't they already charge for launching?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Ya I believe your right, got mixed up with another res.
sorry.

But they were doing lots of upgrading at Ridge this fall.
Should be nice.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 AM

They just moved the camping sites. The ones close to the water have been taken out and moved up the field a bit. If you drive out there you can get to the gate before the park and then it is locked up. There is a place you can turn into the field and head east. All along there you will see all the new camp sites. The SAWT crew were the first to try out the park last year and I really like the new sites. Plenty of room for a 5th wheel, boat, and truck and there is electrical at every new spot.

I also noticed that they are selling chunks of land just on the other side of the park on the south east side. There is a big sign with the layout and cost of a piece of land there. I thought the land they were selling was way farther west on the south end but I guess not.

I can't wait to get out there and fish from the boat again this year. It is a nice place to spend a summer day out on the water.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Ice season is done down here i think boys! Ridge was mostly open water on Sat with a bit of ice by the inflow that was 2-5 inches. We gave it a go there for a few hours and pulled out a few nice pike and lost a real hog, no burbs or walleye.

Cheers,
Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher_man#1 View Post
Ice season is done down here i think boys! Ridge was mostly open water on Sat with a bit of ice by the inflow that was 2-5 inches. We gave it a go there for a few hours and pulled out a few nice pike and lost a real hog, no burbs or walleye.

Cheers,
HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!! Is it then possible for a guy to get his boat in the water before the season ends \
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
jrs

I haven't been down to ridge but some of the shallower pike lakes are wide open already. Im thinking (95% sure) some of the little trout lakes are good to go already too but didn't have time to take a drive out to confirm. Windy and warm today again, ice departing quickly. Spring is coming down south, at least fishing wise!!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM

You could get a jon boat in but the boat launch still has ice from what I could see. Either way the park is locked up tight. But plenty of water if you can put the boat in by hand.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM

I will be launching my single console walleye boat out at Ridge this week. I have a couple spots picked out that had open water yesterday or should have open water by the end of today that should be good for launching a boat. The Ridge park boat launch bay will probably be one of the last areas to thaw out because it is so sheltered and like mentioned before the park gates are locked up.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 PM

NicSheron is 100% ice free as of noon today. Would love to head out for a drive and see what the bigger reservoirs are like, but I have work to do.