Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Originally Posted by HunterDave
Just curious......What were you fellas getting last year for your M-SM and XL-L dogs?
Anyone?

I averaged $89.87 on NAFA Feb/14 sale for my L-XL non damaged coyotes.
I averaged $88 straight across the board with 78 coyotes all junk, small , large and everything. If I did that again this year I will be on top of the world.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I averaged $89.87 on NAFA Feb/14 sale for my L-XL non damaged coyotes.
Thanks Tomcat! That's the ballpark price that I was hoping to hear. The January auction will be my first one with any significant amount of fur in it so I'm not really sure what my pelts will fetch. With 15 x 2xxl out of 20, maybe my $100 average is not totally out of wack then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I averaged $88 straight across the board with 78 coyotes all junk, small , large and everything. If I did that again this year I will be on top of the world.
Thanks Nube! I think that the pelts that I put in are really nice but being new to all of this, I can't really be sure until they sell. I only have two that will bring my average down due to sewing, so I'll see how it goes I guess.

Last edited by HunterDave; 01-10-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks Tomcat! That's the ballpark price that I was hoping to hear. The January auction will be my first one with any significant amount of fur in it so I'm not really sure what my pelts will fetch. With 15 x 2xxl out of 20, maybe my $100 average is not totally out of wack then.
I avg 122 in the Feb sale. I never sold any big coyotes on the sale because one of the nafa graders told be they would be sold as eastern coyotes and I wouldn't get what they are really worth. I avg 127 on the may sale. I never sell any poor coyotes on the nafa sale. My larger dogs and open coyotes go to a fur buyer on a package deal. My over all avg was 98$. Nafa combined with local sale.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:16 PM

Looks like I'm going to start selling through nafa again!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Ya. I got a package together for the local buyer I'm wondering if I shouldn't chance it and send them to nafa on the march sale. Just to see what the difference would be. I already got a quote so if he's paying an x amount then maybe there's a few extra dollars to be made
Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Ya. I got a package together for the local buyer I'm wondering if I shouldn't chance it and send them to nafa on the march sale. Just to see what the difference would be. I already got a quote so if he's paying an x amount then maybe there's a few extra dollars to be made
Off the top of my head, my average selling through my private buyer is 55$
Do a little more work and from what you all are saying my average would go up significantly.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:32 PM

Dave it isn't the size that will get you the money I hate to tell you. Its the grade more than anything. Color and hide prep is most important. The best couple I had that went for $150 were medium females I had with real good color
Old 01-10-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Dave it isn't the size that will get you the money I hate to tell you. Its the grade more than anything. Color and hide prep is most important. The best couple I had that went for $150 were medium females I had with real good color
I know you are talking to Dave...
Still figured I would chime in.
My fur buyer pays exclusively based on size unfortunately. On every fur I bring to him..... Never thought I would say this, but nafa is sounding better and better.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
I know you are talking to Dave...
Still figured I would chime in.
My fur buyer pays exclusively based on size unfortunately. On every fur I bring to him..... Never thought I would say this, but nafa is sounding better and better.
Why would you want to go to the middle man?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Yes. All the 700 dollar coyotes were medium sized 3 year old females and the hide rattled like thin paper. You can actually call nafa and talk to one of the graders. They will help a person out a lot when it comes to selecting coyotes to send there and they will tell you which ones are you better coyotes
Old 01-11-2015, 07:26 AM

i have a hard time believing that a nafa grader would tell someone that a coyote was too big. and not to send it in, as it not going to bring what its worth.

that's just simpley not the business there in.

pic of the toplot 2 years ago. not my pic.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:45 AM

I don't have as many to sell as some of you , but only have the best ones skinned to go . Last year I ave. $97 on the first sale and $117 on the May sale , this was aided by a top lot of $170 but also included a junker of $7 . Like nube said , it wasn't my biggest dog that was the best , color and hide quality are key . With this years first sale being earlier than normal it will be interesting to see how prices play out . I know that that my first dogs were too early and the better quality ones will be on the next one .
Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
i have a hard time believing that a nafa grader would tell someone that a coyote was too big. and not to send it in, as it not going to bring what its worth.

Read my comment again. He didn't say don't send them in. All he said is they will be graded as eastern coyotes and you wouldn't get what you expect. It's only a phone call away and they will answer all your questions.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post

Dang All my coyotes look like those Brag!!!! I must be getting screwed I wish