Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 PM

Default Southern AB Derbys

Looking to take in a few derbys this year. What are the options for southern AB?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM

I know of badger , newel, beaver mines, and traverse. I know there use to be one at keho but it has been a few years since I have heard anything about it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Really? That leaves a few options for lakes doesnt it. Really interested in the Beaver Mines one. Any more info on Beaver Mines Derby, or any others for that matter?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 PM

If I remember right its near the end of the hard water season. I went last year and caught a ton of little stocked bows. tons of people and it sells out pretty quick. It was like +5 with no wind and sun all day. by the end of the day I had my ice bibs and a t-shirt on. You can weigh in 5 fish per person during the day and its a short day tournament. Only about 5-6 hours long so even the little ones can keep their minds set on the tournament. They also have a ton of doors prizes along with food and drinks for sale right on the lake. I think its the lions club of the crowsnest pass that puts it on. If I can find out when and where they are selling tickets I will post it on here. I would really like to get out to it again this year.

Nate
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM

The Newell Derby is a good one, fished that last year lets just hope it is more organized this winter and a fun, easy going derby for Pike strictly is at Rattlesnake (Sauder Reservoir) that one is in Feb I beleive. There is a poster at Hat News and Tabbacco in Medicine Hat, Alberta. Ill be in both of those I beleive!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
If I remember right its near the end of the hard water season. I went last year and caught a ton of little stocked bows. tons of people and it sells out pretty quick. It was like +5 with no wind and sun all day. by the end of the day I had my ice bibs and a t-shirt on. You can weigh in 5 fish per person during the day and its a short day tournament. Only about 5-6 hours long so even the little ones can keep their minds set on the tournament. They also have a ton of doors prizes along with food and drinks for sale right on the lake. I think its the lions club of the crowsnest pass that puts it on. If I can find out when and where they are selling tickets I will post it on here. I would really like to get out to it again this year.

Nate
Wow that sounds like a TON of fun! I fished there alot last hardwater season... had some great luck last year. But since spring of 09 I have had trouble catching as many fish there... they don't put as many fish in there as they used to.
I will be watching for details... I really want to go to this one. I like the idea of food sales on the lake. Saves the lunch packer (me) time.
Thanks for the info Nate.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherwoman View Post
Wow that sounds like a TON of fun! I fished there alot last hardwater season... had some great luck last year. But since spring of 09 I have had trouble catching as many fish there... they don't put as many fish in there as they used to.
I will be watching for details... I really want to go to this one. I like the idea of food sales on the lake. Saves the lunch packer (me) time.
Thanks for the info Nate.
Before X-mas we were at Beaver MInes and had a great day. Nothing huge but 13-14 inches and pretty constant for around 3-4 hours. Gulp!!!

I also am interested in this derby, I need to find out the dates as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherwoman View Post
Really? That leaves a few options for lakes doesnt it. Really interested in the Beaver Mines one. Any more info on Beaver Mines Derby, or any others for that matter?
Where is Beaver mines and whats in it? is it a long drive from Medicine Hat?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM

As soon as I hear anything about it I will post it on here. We will have to get our little AO flags or whatever rigged before then so everyone knows who the real fish slayers are on the lake that day.

nate
Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
Where is Beaver mines and whats in it? is it a long drive from Medicine Hat?
its about 2.5 hours away from lethbridge so 4hrs from the hat and in the crowsnest pass. i belive it has rainbows and brook trout in it. i have yet to fish there but i have some buddies that are goin out there this weekend and ill be sure to get a report on monday
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 PM

I've camped there and fished it a fair bit in the summer but never on the hard water.
Don't think I'd make the 4hr trip to fish it for a day but to each his own......
Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
I've camped there and fished it a fair bit in the summer but never on the hard water.
Don't think I'd make the 4hr trip to fish it for a day but to each his own......
which way do you go? Im an hour from the Hat and an hour from Badger

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 PM
jrs

Thumbs down

Not worth the drive. Small lake, pressure has been crazy this year and last. There were around 15 groups out when i drove by last weekend, i turned around and went to another lake a short drive away where i had the place to myself. Friends of mine who live in the area say it's pretty brutal compared to what it was even 2-3 years ago. And I've never heard of brookies in there, though the odd other species used to show up. I think most of the bull trout have been poached out over the past few years. Don't drive on either, lots and lots of springs everywhere.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
its about 2.5 hours away from lethbridge so 4hrs from the hat and in the crowsnest pass. i belive it has rainbows and brook trout in it. i have yet to fish there but i have some buddies that are goin out there this weekend and ill be sure to get a report on monday
190 kms from Taber plus 116 to the Hat. So less than 4 hrs. Maybe even a shorter route as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 PM

The thought of anyone driving there from almost anywhere other than Blairmore makes me laugh.

Blood Indian would be a MUCH better bet - bigger fish, more of them, and waaay less pressure.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 PM

Yes there seems to be alot of pressure at Beavermines lake. Looking at the stocking charts the last few years they have been putting in less fish. I have never seen anything but stocked rainbows there, but a friend of mine did catch and release (of course) a nice bull there in the summer.
It is about a 2 hour drive from my place to the lake, but even though the fishing has declined (for me at least) the last few years, I still enjoy the scenery. It is one of the most beautiful places in my books. The wildlife around there is also great to watch, there is a cow moose I see around there quite often.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Lots of moose around there, also black and grizzly bears. thats where a fisherman got mauled by a grizzly a few years ago. Ive only fished it in the summer myself. great campground, some sites you can fish from your picnic table. no worries about having a beer then (unless a grizz wants to share it)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
which way do you go? Im an hour from the Hat and an hour from Badger
Straight down #3 to Pincher Creek,usually stop and gas up at the Shell on west side and head out on the secondary road(507) to the town or hamlet of Beaver Mines at the intersection with the 774,head south for about 20kms to turn for Beaver Mines Lake.
Usually pulling a trailer so the time is over 4hrs.......
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
2.5 hours from Lethbridge? What way are you going? I can leave my dooron the north side and be standing in the parking lot at castle in 1.5 hours, thats with no stops.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post
190 kms from Taber plus 116 to the Hat. So less than 4 hrs. Maybe even a shorter route as well.
There is no "short route" to get there from the Hat......
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post

Google map says 306kms from the Hat to Beaver Mines Lake....
Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 AM

Beaver Mines has my vote. Awesome management. Smaller bows but plenty of em. Good eats, surreal scenery(spelling I know). B ware of tracks
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Straight down #3 to Pincher Creek,usually stop and gas up at the Shell on west side and head out on the secondary road(507) to the town or hamlet of Beaver Mines at the intersection with the 774,head south for about 20kms to turn for Beaver Mines Lake.
Usually pulling a trailer so the time is over 4hrs.......
ahh sorry, thought you were talking about Badger

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Google map says 306kms from the Hat to Beaver Mines Lake....
That adds up. I usually reset my odometer at least once for every lake we fish. But there would be no shorter route from the Hat... my bad!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM

That is sure is a far drive for 13-14 in rainbows... but then again I am still used to Edmonton area driving an hour and a touch to catch 20-26 inch rainbows with 16 an average....

But I still think id drive the hour and a half to a lake around the south and catch a few 20" Brookies... call me crazy?