Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Default learned something today .

As the title says I learned something today on my snare line . Checked them this morning and found I had 2 nice coyotes hanging up . First one , the left in pic is probably my best looking hide this year , good catch ,very little sign of struggle . Reset with a new snare and moved on to second one . This guy is really tangled up and I cut the cable in 3 places to get brush unwound , noticed he had a bad case of waterhead and assumed it was because he was caught deep on the throat . Cut the snare off him and lay him aside to reset snare location , when I turn back toward him I thought I see movement .. YUP! His eyes are blinking ! Qucikly remedied that and wonder how long it would have taken him to regain enough consciousness to get away .Maybe he wouldn't have but you never know. Next time , I will check REAL CLOSE to make sure the lights are out before removing a snare ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4169.jpg (65.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 PM

Those are some nice looking coyotes ! Wish I could find just one that light colored ! Up north here they are lots darker ! Congrats and thanks for sharing ! I usually leave the snare on til I'm home, and yes have a good look to see if the animal is still warm !
Old 01-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Banned

Congrats on 2 real nice looking pelts.
Good thing that 2nd one didn't bite you on the butt. lol
Old 01-12-2015, 08:25 PM

Both nice looking coyotes.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:47 PM

Been there done that as well bud but I had him in the back of the truck and noticed it on the next bait pile when I threw one on top of him. He almost came to enough to jump out of the truck and scared me. I think what happened was when I was pulling into the bait he must have ran off and got caught. He was in one of my far snares and by the time I got there he was almost lights out. I kick them now and see if they are stiff and if not check the eyes
Old 01-12-2015, 09:57 PM

Many years ago my Dad caught his first and maybe only wolf in a snare with the help of his uncle. It was alive in the snare so they dispatched it and put it in the back of the truck and continued on.

When they got home he dropped the tailgate and reached for the wolf. Right about then the wolf decided to stand up! Luckily the snare was still on it and was quickly secured to the truck.

This was nearly fifty years ago and his eyes still light up like it happened yesterday when he tells the story.

Needless to say I check the eyes if there is any doubt also.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Been there done that as well bud but I had him in the back of the truck and noticed it on the next bait pile when I threw one on top of him. He almost came to enough to jump out of the truck and scared me. I think what happened was when I was pulling into the bait he must have ran off and got caught. He was in one of my far snares and by the time I got there he was almost lights out. I kick them now and see if they are stiff and if not check the eyes
That would be real spooky !! lol . I thought he wasn't very stiff or cold , but now I realize why .
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Banned

Very nice looking pale coloured dogs.....Congrats!

I had a live catch that I dispatched with the 10/22 that came to on me once. From now on I give them another pill with the muzzle on the forehead.

I had a muskrat come to in my boat last Spring. That was pretty exciting.....lol!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 AM

Beauty coyotes!