Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-14-2015, 02:23 PM

Default fleshing knives

Looking to find a decent fleshing knife in Calgary. Now that Halford's is gone, does anyone know where you could get one?
Old 01-14-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Looking to find a decent fleshing knife in Calgary. Now that Halford's is gone, does anyone know where you could get one?
I can pick you up one here if you want Daryl?
I bought a post flesher last year. I am not sure if I like it or not. The blade is as sharp as can be and I put a lot of holes in things if I don't watch it. I like it for the tough spots on beaver but not so much on thinner skinned animals.
I also have 2 of the cheap $20-30 halford hide fleshers and use those for most of the work and just get the post out in the tough spots. Let me know if you need some help bud
Old 01-14-2015, 03:23 PM

what happen to halfords I hope it didnt close thats where I get all my sausage stuff and some trapping stuff. Nubes is it the big post one if so Id be interested in buying it off ya if you dont want it.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Banned

I bought a Post fleshing knife with Nube last year and I only use it on beaver. It is very sharp and a cheap old dull $20 one from Halford's works much better for coyotes. My advice is to get the cheap dull one to learn with, you'll put a lot less holes in your pelts to sew up. Even with it, it'll take some time to learn how to flesh without ripping the pelt but it will be easier to learn with. I'm pretty sure that Halford's offers free shipping on higher purchases and there is a lot that you'll need if you are just starting out.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:15 PM

How is the dull side of that post for coyote? I've got a caribou which is sharp on both sides. I ended up making a knife out of flat bar and find it works much better but is very heavy. The caribou is only used for fleshing the head/face now.

I've been planning on buying a Post when I get up to the city but you guys are making me wonder if it's a good idea.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:23 PM

My post is sharp on both sides. Like Dave I only use on beaver or the rear end of coyotes and the head also. Other than that it is like putting a hide through the blender with me on it anyhow. Glad I got it for beaver but I really have to watch what I do and only use it on the meat portion on a beaver hide not the outside fat part if that makes sense. I don't think I would sell mine it has a use.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Banned

AO member "The Spruce" told me that I needed to dull one edge of the Post knife and leave one side sharp. Due to my inexperience, I was reluctant to do that right away but now that I have more experience, I see that as very good advice. You need a dull edge for coyotes, etc and a sharp edge for beaver so you can get the best of both worlds with a Post. For now, I swap fleshing knives as required.

EDIT* Yup, Post knife for the tough part and dull knife for the belly out to the edges. Dulling one edge would eliminate changing knives though.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:28 PM

Ok, I thought it was a post I looked at at Halfords. It was a straight blade sharp one side and dull the other. I will have another look a different time.

I did dull my caribou a bit by dragging it across a steel bench a few times and it did help. It's still quite sharp. I'm not too sure the curved blade of the caribou is what I need.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:48 PM

That was probably a dexter TFNG
Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Google zepf knives and order his fleashing knife off line. It's top knotch
Old 01-14-2015, 09:45 PM

I will donate you, Cowtown Guy, a fleshing tool for nothing if someone on the AO pony express will deliver it from Edmonton to Calgary for you. Like brand new. I am not beaver trapping anymore. One like in the picture.

A nice fleshing knife for over the fleshing post is a draw knife made from a seasoned rib of a moose, deer, elk, etc..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fleshtool.jpg (11.8 KB, 24 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 PM

My Post came sharp on one side and dull on the other.
You could round off one side if both sides are sharp.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:11 AM

I appreciate the info folks.

I am trying like hell to get out and thin the coyote population. Unfortunately crap keeps getting in the way. So far this is the worst start to a new year ever. This flu going around hit me on the 1st and it is still lingering just enough that I really don't want to be in the truck on the hiway for any length of time. 15 days! Sucky.

Thanks Nube. I'll shoot you a text or call you in a couple of days when I can figure something out. You coming down to see Chris?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I will donate you, Cowtown Guy, a fleshing tool for nothing if someone on the AO pony express will deliver it from Edmonton to Calgary for you. Like brand new. I am not beaver trapping anymore. One like in the picture.

A nice fleshing knife for over the fleshing post is a draw knife made from a seasoned rib of a moose, deer, elk, etc..
Thanks for the offer Red.