Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Walleye
Old 10-05-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbhunter View Post
Cutts, not just because of the fish...but where you have to go to find them..you are in some of the best scenery in Ab going after cutts..they love to rise...they may not be the hardest challenge but they get a decent size, and the added bonus of any cutt stream is the Bulls and whites!
Agree 100%
Cutties are easily my favorite fish to go for, hands down. Although I tend to head to the Elk River and its tribs in BC...never have gone for them in AB
Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM

call me a simpleton but I say pike. Easiest to catch bite anything, hook into a 10+ pounder and listen to that drag scream. I enjoy the challenge of cleaning them. I always break my own arm patting myself on the back when I cook up some pike and those enjoying say "wow no bones". And over the years I've learned a number of different recipes for them... however I will say they do taste best out of cold water. Not say I'll chow down on a nice walley or a tastey rainbow.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM

STURGEON because they are big, elusive dinosaurs! Rare, great fight with smaller line, and look really cool! However because we can't eat them the prize would then go to the Rainbow Trout for overall fight, flight, flavor n looks
Old 10-06-2009, 10:10 AM

Tough question - probably for Ab would have to say Pike. If you know how to clean them, I think they are even better that Walleye plus they get bigger and fight better. Still hunting lake trout (never caught one) and some have told me fresh lake trout is to die for. Rainbows - fun to catch, but I am not big on the taste. Perch, easy to catch and they are great for the table (you just need so many!)

Favourite fish to catch of all time - Spring (chinook) salmon - nothing like a 45minute battle with a 40lb fish.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 AM
river_runner

#1.Pike you cant be it followed by Perch then white fish and rainbow trout.

Walleye
Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 AM

pike, gets my vote, i like all the rest, but they are my sentimental favorite , catching them as a kid and love to eat em, can't catch a 20# walleye ! 2nd would be lake trout , the anticipation and not knowing how big the next one might be can drive ya crazy ! Anyone says they don't fight should try a 20# laker with a walleye rod ! pure bliss
Old 10-06-2009, 12:30 PM

big rainbows, tailwalking ,jumping and hard fighting . Get them at the right time and good feed and the meat is red ,like salmon. Last time I took my dad out before he moved away my fish jumped 4 feet up right in front of him . I'm sure he'll remember that one , even on the coast where he catches salmon once in a while, tight lines
Old 07-07-2010, 03:16 PM

Resurrecting this old thread. I havent been fishing in Alberta long but I love how many Pike there are to catch. Where I'm from its quite a bit harder. Walleye are probably my favourite for eating here.

Favourite fish would be smallmouth bass though. Spectacular acrobatic fighters!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:01 PM

Lakers
Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Default !!!

totally agree with WC!!!
never met a fish i didnt like!!!
they all RULE!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

Id have to say my favorite fish to catch would be a Brown Trout and to eat would go to Cutthroat and RMW.
SG