Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
jrs

"whats wrong with a good old wood stove a small one but warm and heat is what you want it will do that job that my motto but then agian i dont know about useing it in them newer tents type you ppl have"

The small wood burning stove available at Princess Auto works awesome in a 4 man ice cube. That's what i picked up last winter. You run the chimney through the roof vent and get a small chunk of fibreglass insulation to wrap around the pipe so the roof doesn't melt. I leave the door partly open even at -30 as it gets a bit warm otherwise. Works well though. Sure don't need a ton of wood to heat the shack for the day either. They went on for around $100 last year, already has saved me that much on propane, i just burn old crates/ 2X4 scraps. I think they're $150 right now.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:09 PM

Default heater

Can anyone tell me how long the big buddy on high will last, hooked up to a 5lb tank.

Just got a 5lber and want to make sure i'll be enough for a day vs bringing the 20lber.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Can anyone tell me how long the big buddy on high will last, hooked up to a 5lb tank.

Just got a 5lber and want to make sure i'll be enough for a day vs bringing the 20lber.
I don't have a big buddy but from the manual:

One 1 lb. cylinder lasts 1.5 to 6 hours

So
On High 5lbs @ 1.5 hrs/lbs = 7.5 hours
On Low 5lbs @ 6 hrs/lbs = 30 Hours
Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Default Big Buddy

We have our big buddy going in our shack all the time. For a ten hour day or so for us on high and medium we can do 6 or 7 day trips on a 20lb so 5 lb should be good for a day trip.Don't forget if your shack or tent is black and sun is out it warms it nicely and you won't need it on high all day. Some days we even turn it off when the sun is beating on us as it is too warm even on low.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C. View Post
Was just talking to my buddy who is picking up heaters for us at BPS and he thought that one may be likely to fall over if a guy was a little excited and kicked it. So I ended up going with the next one up puts out a little more heat too.
Just my 2 cents.
I ended picking a little buddy heater today and it comes with a flat base for the bottle as well as a shut off feature if it tips over
Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Thumbs up

I have one of these

I picked it up at Princess for 100$. They are long out of stock. There is some really good deals still on Ebay and Amazon. Dyna Glo was bought out by Mr. Heater (where the pivoting valves came from). It's like a big buddy, but it has no blower and its 1000 BTUs less on high 16,000. ABS Plastic and Stainless.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 PM

I bought one of those Little Buddies about 2hrs ago at Princess Auto....80bucks

A real bugger to get lit the first try, but now I find it lights and stays lit pretty good.....it took a few tries to get the element to lite.....and yes, I was doing it right

I think it would be good for a two man tent. I will see how it works on that new Frabill lodge I bought......
Old 12-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I bought one of those Little Buddies about 2hrs ago at Princess Auto....80bucks

A real bugger to get lit the first try, but now I find it lights and stays lit pretty good.....it took a few tries to get the element to lite.....and yes, I was doing it right

I think it would be good for a two man tent. I will see how it works on that new Frabill lodge I bought......
Mine was a little tought to get it lit for the first time but now it fires up and burns red hot, even heated up the kitchen
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I ended picking a little buddy heater today and it comes with a flat base for the bottle as well as a shut off feature if it tips over
Right on I never thought of the tip over/shut off, good call.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 PM

a mr cooker,not mr heater,same manufacture though,comes with own stand,u can turn it facing up or facing towards u,also u can cook stuff on it.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 PM

I had some spare time as I was not working while it was -40 on Monday and Tuesday. I went through the scrap metal bin and made a small wood heater from a discarded 20 lb propane tank. I have it burning outside on the sidewalk right now to see how easy it is to control. i used 4"inch water heater pipe and can see now I will need to use vent for the piece that exits from the tent.

I have a propane heater but after reading the carbon monoxide concerns so many people have i have decided to try a wood heater. If it works well I will post pictures but I want to see it is safe to use first.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:34 AM

I use a good sized kerosene heater, no problems at all when its cold like propane. Probably go to a propane heater eventually, just for the portability. Only problem so far is if you move it and it shuts off, theres a nice bit of smoke but the pop up has 2 doors so it airs out fast if I have to. Ive had the black tent out at minus 22 on a sunny day, and it was bare hands warm even without a heater.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 PM

I have always ran a 20lb'r and probally always will. I've gotton used to carting it around (In a milk crate) and it holds my chairs still in the Jeep while traveling.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherwoman View Post
So we have realized that we will need a heater for our ice tent. What are people using, what would you recommend? We have a 4 man tent and want to be warm enough to fish without gloves on Looking at this model and vendor, any thoughts?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_325-3-0
Thanks! Happy fishing!
P.S.
They also have them here, and if I bought it instore, would have it for the weekend. http://www.princessauto.com/farm/hea...ank-top-heater
I just use a propane coleman heater the kind that is meant to cook a can of beans on, mind you there is an open flame but it works awesome. (I have got an adapter for a five or 10 pound propane bottle) The heater costs about 25.00 at your canadain tire/ Walmarts. Would not even consider using anything else, the problem that I have with actual propane heaters with no flame is that they can be very hard to light and the igniters don't work after a few uses!! (And can be hard to light with matches!!)
Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 AM

Used our new big buddy for the first time this weekend. Worked great, Nice and warm in the tent. So warm there was a few inches of water on the floor and everytime someone caught a fish it would flop on the floor and splash out the heater! It has an auto shut off and re lights easily. Works for a bit of light in the dark too. And is very quite.
Brought a 20lb bottle and hooked a lantern and stove up as well. All I need is a cot and I could stay all weekend!
So far I happy with the purchase.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 AM

Glad your new purchase is working out for you...it's always fun to get new toys and try them out

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Nobody uses electric heaters?

We usea small 1500 w force air elec. and runs
all day on 2 gal gas. don't have to worry about
freezing propane bottles , smoke , propane fumes.

no maintenance and fire problems.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchcont View Post

What does it weigh?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchcont View Post

Since you using gas to power your electric heater I would imagine your using a generator. That must run all day at a 1500W draw and 8 Liters of gas IMO is a lot of fuel for one day.

There would also be exhaust fumes vs propane which burns pretty clean.

And Generators do need maintenance.

This doesn't seem very efficient. I'll stick with what I know.

Tags
big buddy, ice fishing heater