Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Default Bowhunting without a treestand?

I'm a novice bow hunter and I can barely afford all my other equipment let alone a tree stand. I was wondering what techniques would work best for white tails be it spot and stalk or hunkering down in some brush and waiting? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Or maybe even just climbing up a tree and sitting in a branch?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Ground blinds at waterholes and funnel points work.
i'e hunted out of a treestand three times since i was 12 years old, din't enjoy any of it!
However, the fact remains that it is a very productive way to hunt.
I enjoy still hunting and staalking however, or parking behind a blow down,rock pile, etc.....
Cat
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Alright those both sound like they could work for me! Thanks for the advice!!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM

I have shot more critters bowhunting on the ground than any other way...stay in the shawdows..still hunt..when i still hunt I will take seven steps or to cover wait 15 minutes walk seven steps etc...set up brush blinds on trails to feeding/bedding areas..Calling ...very important ..learning to call animals is one of the most sucessfull methods if done right...

Back in the day we used to build all our stands...now one cant afford not to buy one ..lol ..they are very cheap and one cant hardly buy materials for cost of some now...there are portable stands for $59.00 that will work nicely...

many dont like heights and are quite happy on the ground and do very well..

Just get out there is the big thing...

Neil
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRosgen View Post

:d Not as easy as it sounds ,,can be downright dangerous also...shooting and hanging on dont cooperate with each other ...lol

Neil
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
:d Not as easy as it sounds ,,can be downright dangerous also...shooting and hanging on dont cooperate with each other ...lol

Neil
Not to mention downright uncomfortable. Its hard enough to sit 4-6 hours in a treestand at close to freezing temps. Nearly impossible to do it sitting on a branch. Other problem would be finding a perfect branch that was big enough to hold you AND within shooting range of a game trail. A decent treestand and steps can still be bought for around 100 bucks. Good safety harness is about 100 bucks more. Don't get into a tree without one either.

Otherwise just build your own ground blinds with straw bales if you have access to them.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM

i have had luck by making natural blinds from tree limbs, sticks, grass, etc. I do not enjoy tree stands at all.... spot and stalk is still the most enjoyable method for bowhunting.

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM

Natural ground blinds or spot and stalk sounds right up my alley. I am not a fan of sitting still for more than a half hour or so at a time so these all sound awesome! Thanks for the awesome advice everyone it's much appreciated!!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRosgen View Post
Natural ground blinds or spot and stalk sounds right up my alley. I am not a fan of sitting still for more than a half hour or so at a time so these all sound awesome! Thanks for the awesome advice everyone it's much appreciated!!
Sounds like you can't sit still..lol.. .. bowhunting will teach you the need for it .. Don't have to sit in a tree but you WILL have to be s l o w and deliberate in your movements .. lots of fun ahead of you .. good luck .
Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM

If you can't afford a new treestand you could always get some scrap lumber and build a permanent stand in some trees. It doesn't take a whole lot of time or lumber to build one and it would work just as good.

As far as hunting on the ground I have had decent success out of it, you just have to be a little more ready and able to make your movements a little bit slower, have a bit better scent control and just plan a little more ahead.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 PM

Haha well it seems like I've got a lot of learnig ahead of me. Thanks for all the excellent advice, hopefully it'll help me get a handle on things when I first get started!!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM

a favourite trick of mine is to sit on a swivel stool or a folding chair like the kind used for ice fishing. I just sneak into a really good whitetail funnel and sit 15 to 20 yards back from the trails in some shady cover. I've killed lots of whitetails in this manner. Lots of shots that were really really close too. The key is to be patient and draw when the deer are looking the other way. Its an adrenaline rush and it really works.

Have fun out there.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Default Bowhunting

Take a look at Fred as bells book, it's called "stalking and still hunting" I think. It's a great place to start. I've shot a three or four deer off the grund and its fun and cheap. When I started bowhunting I was broke and could only afford 6 arrows for my bow, I learned to make a ground blind and got busy hunting. That said, treestands are still the most productive way of hunting so save your pennies for a stand.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM

Okay thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to check that book out! All this advice has been great and hopefully it'll help me be successful this upcoming season!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Treestands are not needed to bowhunt. You can harvest any animal in the woods on foot. Just got to ride that learning curve to the top. Start training now.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM

I have had success on many different species on the ground. It can be very productive. Couple quick tips; Plan your ambush spot to be hunted when the wind is right AND when the sun is not in your eyes. ( ie, face East in the evening if you can)
Also its more beneficial to have heavy cover behind you than in front, keeping your outline from being silouhetted is crucial to remaining undetected when you do have to draw.

And, as most others have said, best thing to do is get out there and get at it !!

Enjoy the hunt !

S