Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Default your experience with cdn airport security

World events have brought about intrusive airport security screenings, a necessary pain I guess. I believe that security staff attitudes can do a lot to minimize the unpleasantness and sillyness.

While going through CATSA's airport security recently, I did not appreciate being ordered to "Step Forward!", then "Turn Around!", followed by "Open Your Belt!". Sure glad I was not ordered to get onto all fours Kelowna style!

I don't appreciate being ordered around while travelling in my own country.

So I suggested to the uniformed CATSA officer that if instead of ordering me around he said "Please step forward" and "Turn around please", etc. the necessary checks could be done in a civil and respecful way. I don't recall his exact response, but it was evident from his words and facial expression that he felt his approach was perfectly fine. I thought it wise to leave it at that and laced up my shoes.

Soon as I was waved through, I approached a CATSA manager and expressed my displeasure with being ordered around - not with the checks themselves. The manager asked a few questions, then said he would review procedures with the staff. He told me that CATSA staff are expected to remain courteous with the travelling public and that he would remind his officers.

I don't often travel by air and this is the first time I've run into bad attitude.

What has been your experience with canadian airport security lately? Was my experience an isolated incident, or are these men and women getting too big for their britches?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Old 01-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Most of my experiences with these folks in Canada have been fairly positive. A few weeks ago, I did run into a lady working security at the Ottawa airport, who was a bit short with me ("take your belt off, put it in a tray, and walk through again"); but for the mostpart, they have been very polite, generally saying "please," and sometimes even addressing me as "sir." Americans, on the other hand, are another story entirely; and I have very little to say about either their airport security or the DHS personnel. I don't expect border folks to be friendly...but the Canadian customs officials are at least polite and reasonable. The American officials always treat me like I'm entering the country to murder their entire family. Not cool. *sigh* And I have a conference to go to in San Fran in March...better practice bending over.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
World events have brought about intrusive airport security screenings, a necessary pain I guess. I believe that security staff attitudes can do a lot to minimize the unpleasantness and sillyness.

While going through CATSA's airport security recently, I did not appreciate being ordered to "Step Forward!", then "Turn Around!", followed by "Open Your Belt!". Sure glad I was not ordered to get onto all fours Kelowna style!

So I suggested to the uniformed CATSA officer that if instead of ordering me around he said "Please step forward" and "Turn around please", etc. the necessary checks could be done in a civil and respecful way. I don't recall his exact response, but it was evident from his words and facial expression that he felt his approach was perfectly fine. I thought it wise to leave it at that and laced up my shoes.

Soon as I was waved through, I approached a CATSA manager and expressed my displeasure with being ordered around - not with the checks themselves. The manager asked a few questions, then said he would review procedures with the staff. He told me that CATSA staff are expected to remain courteous with the travelling public and that he would remind his officers.

I don't often travel by air and this is the first time I've run into bad attitude.

What has been your experience with canadian airport security lately? Was my experience an isolated incident, or are these men and women getting too big for their britches?
Was there alot of people? Maybe just trying to rush everyone thru?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM

I have had minor issues with attitudes of crew and the odd airport security person being ignorant,...but I must say, I enjoy travelling and have had very few, minor issues in all the airports I've been through and even less in the canadian ones.

They do a good job the majority of the time iMO
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 PM

I have never had any issues at all.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:12 PM

It was busy, in that they were clearing passengers for more than one flight.

I really don't care how busy a business gets, courtesy ought to be maintained.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Well I don't know if one trip counts. Yeah I'm not a frequent flier. LOL.

Years ago I did travel by air a fair bit, but in recent years, (the last 30) I have been on exactly one flight, that was this summer.

So how was security. Great, friendly professional people. Didn't mind it at all.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
It was busy, in that they were clearing passengers for more than one flight.

I really don't care how busy a business gets, courtesy ought to be maintained.
Personally I did'nt read anything that you said to be construed to be offensive or ignorant on thier part, just doing thier job, which is not a service industry/buisiness.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 PM

Aside from rudeness, silliness and the stupidity of it all, not much. The Hell's Angels have operated airside, have they not? Do they still?

It's a colossal show of smoke and mirrors. Besides............. the wolves are minding the sheep.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
The Hell's Angels have operated airside, have they not? Do they still?
?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss442 View Post
?
You first.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
You first.
I'm not sure what that means is all.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss442 View Post
I'm not sure what that means is all.
Don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 PM

Society will always need people who "just follow the rules"... like the "staff" at a death camp. Some will enjoy the power.

The real problem lies with the managers who decide what is required. You can guess my vocation from my avatar, yet I am considered as much of a threat as any 20 something male who has purchased a one way ticket with cash, while sweating and chanting.

The stated purpose of "airport security" is to keep ANYONE from getting an item on board that they could use to "take over" the aircraft. Including the pilots, wouldn't want pilots taking control of airplanes...

This is how these people think.

sigh..... G.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorram View Post
Society will always need people who "just follow the rules"... like the "staff" at a death camp. Some will enjoy the power.

The real problem lies with the managers who decide what is required. You can guess my vocation from my avatar, yet I am considered as much of a threat as any 20 something male who has purchased a one way ticket with cash, while sweating and chanting.

The stated purpose of "airport security" is to keep ANYONE from getting an item on board that they could use to "take over" the aircraft. Including the pilots, wouldn't want pilots taking control of airplanes...

This is how these people think.

sigh..... G.
Maybe they worry the bad guys may one day simultaneously cut off the index fingers and gouge the eyes out of a dozen or so pilots in order to...............................do what?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 PM

I fly out of Great Falls, Montana. I have had a knee replacement which sets scanner off, i imform the security people of my knee repacement before i go thru the scanner, it beeps , they take me aside and use the wand and go over my body, they have always been polite, I don,t have a problem , if i did have a problem it would be my choice to use some other mode of transportation.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny42 View Post
I fly out of Great Falls, Montana. I have had a knee replacement which sets scanner off, i imform the security people of my knee repacement before i go thru the scanner, it beeps , they take me aside and use the wand and go over my body, they have always been polite, I don,t have a problem , if i did have a problem it would be my choice to use some other mode of transportation.
Personally I've had more troubles/hassled coming thru the Canadian Customs than American, nothing to loose any sleep over. I loved that Great Falls airport, much easyer than flying out of Calgary.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Aside from rudeness, silliness and the stupidity of it all, not much. The Hell's Angels have operated airside, have they not? Do they still?

It's a colossal show of smoke and mirrors. Besides............. the wolves are minding the sheep.
A business partner of mine flies from Ont. to Edm. and back every month
he said the only time he has seen or heard any problems was when there was an issue started from the passengers end. Thats 24 flights a year for 4 years
thats 96 flights he's had no problems things can't be to bad.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
A business partner of mine flies from Ont. to Edm. and back every month
he said the only time he has seen or heard any problems was when there was an issue started from the passengers end. Thats 24 flights a year for 4 years
thats 96 flights he's had no problems things can't be to bad.
That's good. Everything must be fine then.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
You first.
Quote:
Don't lose any sleep over it.
Quote:
That's good. Everything must be fine then.
If you can't explain your posts why waste everyones time
Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 PM

I have flown about 15 times in the last 2 years and the main problem that I have had is other passengers attitudes and incompetence. It generally takes a minimum of 10 minutes and sometimes well over an hour to clear security depending on which airport. Every airport security area has several posters indicating what is not allowed on flights. Yet on every, stinkin trip there is at least 1 and usually several people who have prohibited items and then put up a fuss. Why do people insist on carrying water bottles,manicure sets,costco sized hand cream,thermos of coffee,swiss army knives,leathermans etc, etc,etc. Then the people who are holding up the show always look at the line up of passengers and give that same stupid look indicating how ridiculous it is that they have to follow the rules!! And then they mumble crap about " Do I look like a Terrorist! Oh,do you really think I'm going to blow up a plane with a nail file!"

I feel like slapping them myself!! I feel like asking if they couldn't read or notice the half dozen giant sized posters while they were waiting in line for an hour! It really is no wonder that some of these security personnel seem impatient.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Gone Hunting

I haven't had any issues.

I was in South Africa a few years ago and on the return when I hit the security,

I realized I had a pocket knife that a good friend had given to me. Hmmm I really didn't want to lose the knife, I had simply forgot to put it in my checked bags.

I slipped it into my carry on and went through the scanner. Not a hitch. When i got to my bags in Atlanta I put it in my checked luggage.

I go to the U.S. every winter to hunt coyotes. I don't take a rifle because of the hassle with permits. I just borrow one down there.

I have a nylon bag that I keep binos , camera rangefinder etc in. When I'm hunting here i also have my knives and ammo etc. in it.
I asked my son to take everything out of the bag except my optics as i was going to carry it on the plane. I had him double check for stray ammo. I checked the bag and put my stuff in it.
When I went through the screener, they took me to the side and had my stuff there. Two women security were interviewing me at the same time. I thought it was clever. One asked a question then the other. I thought it was to catch me off guard. They asked where I was going and why when there were coyotes in Alberta that needed killing.
One of the women talked about her moose hunts with her family every year and blah blah blah. They were both very friendly. BUT they asked me repeatedly about guns and ammo. I told him I had none and was gonna borrow same. After about 15 long minutes of socializing the 'moose hunter' dropped an empty 223 brass out of my bag.

There was a looooong silence. She kept looking at me and finally said you didn't know this was there did you. I told her I had checked the bag. The shell casing was under the the plastic tray in the bottom of the bag. It showed on the xray, but took some digging to come up with it.

She said have a good trip and I was on my way.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I have flown about 15 times in the last 2 years and the main problem that I have had is other passengers attitudes and incompetence. It generally takes a minimum of 10 minutes and sometimes well over an hour to clear security depending on which airport. Every airport security area has several posters indicating what is not allowed on flights. Yet on every, stinkin trip there is at least 1 and usually several people who have prohibited items and then put up a fuss. Why do people insist on carrying water bottles,manicure sets,costco sized hand cream,thermos of coffee,swiss army knives,leathermans etc, etc,etc. Then the people who are holding up the show always look at the line up of passengers and give that same stupid look indicating how ridiculous it is that they have to follow the rules!! And then they mumble crap about " Do I look like a Terrorist! Oh,do you really think I'm going to blow up a plane with a nail file!"

I feel like slapping them myself!! I feel like asking if they couldn't read or notice the half dozen giant sized posters while they were waiting in line for an hour! It really is no wonder that some of these security personnel seem impatient.
Sad, but true.

As a pilot, I had to fly commercially a LOT with my last job (repositioning). There were countless times that I wanted to beyatch slap a traveller in line, due to a response similar to the above. Ridiculous.

It absolutely amazes me how ignorant people can be towards the security agents.

On the OTHER hand....

There is such inconsistency in security that it's laughable. Simple items that are missed in a large center (ie Vancouver) are scrutinized in places like Yellowknife and Whitehorse. Case in point, I forget a tube of Chapstick in my pocket. IN Vancouver, they could care less. In Whitehorse, I'll get the "tsk tsk" and waggle of a finger, coupled with a smirk as they throw it in the trash.

ANYHOW -

Security these days is ridiculous. I agree that security is needed but the lack of ability to profile (oh it's racist!!!) results in what we've seen lately, with an 82 year old woman with prosthetic boobs and a knee pin basically humiliated in public.

I hate to travel by air, and I'm a pilot, for crying out loud.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:

they are not doing a very good job.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 AM

Default Traveling with Air Pistol

I'm on my 5th passport, as I worked overseas for 14 years before moving to Canada. I've learned through many experiences that you have to act
- as if you are dumb, don't be a smart a...
- don't say more than what question requires,
- don't do more than what you were told,

Especially helps in Asian, Former Russian Rep. and poor African countries.

Here is another story...

Last year in February, I went to Toronto for Air Gun Grand Prix. I declared at Edmonton Int'l that I have an Air Pistol with me, both cylinders are depressurized and case is locked. Lauggage is also locked by a combination lock.

They asked me to put the luggage through x-ray machine. Two officers spend like a minute looking at the x-ray image on the monitor, and later I was told that all was good. That was it... No forms, no $50 to Air Canada, no actual inspection.

I was impressed.

The way back from Toronto was a whole different story though.

When I informed check-in desk that I have an air pistol in my luggage, i was told to pay $50 fee, fill a form, taken to x-ray machine escorted by an officer; whole process took around 1 hour. Thanks God I went to airport 4 hour early just in case something like this would happen.

I think inconsistencies are due to lack of knowledge...

Regards.

Last edited by aakoksal; 01-16-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 AM

I've never had a personal problem with security.... they are doing their job. Although before the hightened security i seemed to get picked for the additional search after the scanners. Doesn't bother me... i always tried to lighten the situation. Asked "Would you like to have this performed behind closed doors" Me:"Why we getting naked?"

Always got a smirk out of the security personnel.

My beef was always with Canadian Customs. I understand someone doing their job but to have my suitcase articles thrown all over the place and then told to pick it up..... this bothers me. This has happened on so many occasions that i now debate even leaving the country