Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Default Got a good start so far I think

So I ended up with a Bowteck 350 to shoot. Took it to Jimbows and got a few things figured out on it.
I ended up shooting a 3 inch circle for the time I was there but was about a 2 inch circle by the time I left the shop consistently. I know it's not great but I was using their arrows which were not tuned to my bow and flying at all kinds of angles so I think I can improve.
They didn't have VAP arrows in the store and they are about 2 weeks out.

I have had more people to get VAP than any other arrow but I also have some tell me it matters not.

I bought 6 AXIS arrows to try out. Do you guys think I should bother waiting for VAP or just shoot AXIS? From what I hear the AXIS are good arrows.

Hope to be getting things tuned up and shooting bullseyes soon!
Old 07-19-2017, 04:26 PM

:Jimbows Calgary has vaps in Stock, usually they can send them up. Might be worth asking?
Old 07-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

There is nothing wrong with the Axis arrows at all. They will treat you well.

Congrats on your start into archery. It's addictive but fun.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 AM

Congrats on the new bow! As for arrows, you typically will test drive a bunch of them before you get a favourite. I've shot Carbon Express Piledriver's for a couple of seasons and found they had great punch. Good penetration. Tough arrow. Shot Beman Hunter Pro's, Gold Tip Hunters, etc in the past too. All good arrows and did the job.

Switched to VAP Gamers a couple of years ago and won't look back. Best penetration I've ever seen on an arrow. The FOC is crazy and the thin shaft gives past thrus everytime. They hit hard. You'll notice when you're at the range practicing the difference in sound the VAPs make when they hit and how far into the butts they sink. Nice tight groupings and very consistent.

Grouping at 30 yards

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:31 AM

I've run quite a few different arrows from my 70lbs Matthew dxt and I keep going back to axis with 340 spine. They have done me well over the years.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 AM

Get the VAP's.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:26 AM

Love my VAPs only problem I had was stopping them had to buy a new target was blowing through mine like it wasn't even there actually had a couple go through the target the square bale behind it and the wall of a tin shed.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodeemus1 View Post
Congrats on the new bow! As for arrows, you typically will test drive a bunch of them before you get a favourite. I've shot Carbon Express Piledriver's for a couple of seasons and found they had great punch. Good penetration. Tough arrow. Shot Beman Hunter Pro's, Gold Tip Hunters, etc in the past too. All good arrows and did the job.

Switched to VAP Gamers a couple of years ago and won't look back. Best penetration I've ever seen on an arrow. The FOC is crazy and the thin shaft gives past thrus everytime. They hit hard. You'll notice when you're at the range practicing the difference in sound the VAPs make when they hit and how far into the butts they sink. Nice tight groupings and very consistent.

Grouping at 30 yards
That grouping will cost you...once I get tight I don't group no more, broken arrows, fletching etc...I pick spots and attempt to nail them.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-23-2017, 01:06 PM

I was finding that out this week on tight groups lol
I'm doing a bit better and can shoot a 2 inch group at 30 yards fairly consistently and sometimes they end up taking a tip off.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That grouping will cost you...once I get tight I don't group no more, broken arrows, fletching etc...I pick spots and attempt to nail them.
This was testing out my bow after getting it super tuned at Jim Bows. Typically don't shoot more than one arrow at a spot
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM

i shoot easton axis right now and am going to switch to the easton FMJ before the season kicks off i bought one fmj to test and play around with. they seem much less affected by wind drift and make the shot on my bow whisper quit i noticed a decent amount of noise from my bow when shooting the lighter carbon arrows.i used to shoot piledrivers from Carbon Express but the local shop stopped carrying them. those are awesome too i would check them out if your bow shop carries them
Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 PM

I've been shooting Axis for 5 years. Have no complaints about them. Have downed many animals .