Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 PM

Default Simple fishing reg question, searched, could not find answer

Hello,

My questions involve the possession limits. Feel free to poke fun at my reasoning but I just am confused. Searched and could not find the answer I needed. I just want to know if I understand correctly.

We'll use Trout as the example...not worrying about specific watershed reg's as I know they differ.

Provincewide maximum possession limit = 5 in total, "Including fish at your home"

*So basically the whole year I am only allowed to keep 5 Trout? How does this work exactly? If it is August, and I ate a fish I caught in June, it counts towards my yearly total even though it isn't "in my possession" anymore? Sounds like a stupid question but I am serious...I am confused as to what qualifies as possession.

Daily limit = 5, eaten, given away, everything included basically anything not released immediately back into the water. *makes sense

Trip Limit = 5, same as above for reg's, but what constitutes a fishing trip? If I am camping for 7 days and go fishing Day 2 and again on Day 4, is that a trip? or 2 separate trips?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:13 PM

I'm in no way an expert but my understanding is you can have no more than 5 in your possession at one time meaning if you have 5 trout in your freezer at home your daily limit would be zero because you're maxed out. If you have 4 at home youd be allowed to keep 1.. Not sure if that clears anything up or not
Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mranderson22 View Post
I'm in no way an expert but my understanding is you can have no more than 5 in your possession at one time meaning if you have 5 trout in your freezer at home your daily limit would be zero because you're maxed out. If you have 4 at home youd be allowed to keep 1.. Not sure if that clears anything up or not
And if you give those four at home away, you are back to 0 possession and can catch a full daily limit again. It's a rolling limit. If you have five in your possession, get eating or gifting, and you can then keep some more tomorrow!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:24 PM

In your possession is what you can physically produce to a F&W officer. Includes at home and on the boat/shore.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Banned

The ones you ate in June don't count anymore. You can't have your trout and eat it too.

Or was that cake?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:46 PM

Default Liklits

Water ninja that's too funny!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
The ones you ate in June don't count anymore. You can't have your trout and eat it too.

Or was that cake?
That's because they are poop now eat and repeat.

I would call the fish cops to get the answer, don't have that problem only keep a few to eat right away but the limits etc in Alberta have helped me loose weight

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTNABN View Post
Trip Limit = 5, same as above for reg's, but what constitutes a fishing trip? If I am camping for 7 days and go fishing Day 2 and again on Day 4, is that a trip? or 2 separate trips?

Thanks for any help.
Thanks for the answers so far, cleared it up for me.

Any comment on a "trip definition?"
Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 AM

Where it gets weird....and I just found this out.

Taxidermied waterfowl actually count in your possession limits....mind blown yet?

Wonder if that applies to fish?

LC
Old 04-02-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Where it gets weird....and I just found this out.

Taxidermied waterfowl actually count in your possession limits....mind blown yet?

Wonder if that applies to fish?

LC

Nope, not blown but suspicious of where you are getting this info.

So please explain. Under which regulation?

How do the feathers and preserved skin still count as waterfowl in your possession limits?

Wouldn't this law make dumping waterfowl skins and feathers illegal unless you ate them first?

I'm sure the correct answers to these questions will answer your question about preserved fish skins.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM

i think the trip limit is if you go camping for a week, you cant keep more than what the limit is. maybe its intended so you cant catch and eat your limit everyday.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i think the trip limit is if you go camping for a week, you cant keep more than what the limit is. maybe its intended so you cant catch and eat your limit everyday.
But if you can't produce the fish to a F&W officer then your limit is reset by that amount, correct?

I catch 3 Monday, eat em all Monday night, go fishing Wednesday...I can't produce any fish to an F&W officer if he asks, so my limit is 5 again...right?
Old 04-02-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
But if you can't produce the fish to a F&W officer then your limit is reset by that amount, correct?

I catch 3 Monday, eat em all Monday night, go fishing Wednesday...I can't produce any fish to an F&W officer if he asks, so my limit is 5 again...right?
That is correct !! You can catch 5 and eat 5 everyday of the year, so you could actually catch 1825 trout without breaking the law !! You can also give them away, but only 5 or less at a time. You can catch two, take them home and freeze them, then go out the next day catch 3 and freeze them, now your done fishing until you get rid of at least one. That's enough examples, if you don't get it, take up bowling !! Just kidding.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Got it all understood now!

Many thanks!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
given away
Be careful with this one!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:23 PM

Default Limits

U can have my limits. Way better things to eat than trout like my shoes lol