Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 PM

Default What am I doing wrong?

I seem to have thrown everything and the kitchen sink at the fish in the nsr and have caught a total of 10 fish ever (8 of which were goldeye) and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm also wanting to do some lake fishing if anyone knows any lakes good for shore fishing. But anyway I have tried pickerel rigs, spoons, jigs, crankbaits and only caught on pickerel rigs. I live in fort sask. And have had no luck here only in the keep hills area. Any help or good spots near fort sask. Would be much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Banned

Sounds like your doing everything your supposed to be doing. Sometimes the fish don't co-operate. I take it you were fishing last summer to get those Goldeye. Couple things you might want to adjust...
... are you fishing in deeper holes or back eddies?
... what bait are you using on pic.rig? In spring I like to use worms on bottom hook and minnow on top hook. Chunk of white from soft rubber jig above worms improves chance.
...Area near Legends golf course is close to Ft. Sask and is a popular spot (too popular for me esp. for locals that like to party there).
Good luck.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Banned

I always get skunked on the river
Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 AM

I never caught anything until I started fishing on the bottom, then I started catching like crazy. I recommend ditching the pickerel rigs and using a sturgeon rig or a "Carolina rig", much stronger than a dinky pickerel rig (especially going to want one if you hook a sturgeon) and you can catch basically every species in there. I used jumbo dew worms as bait.

This picture I stole from another AO member to use as reference...

Make sure your swivels, j hooks and line are all good quality products. I buy the biggest, strongest swivels I can find and I like to use the Gamagatsu Octopus hooks.
I know of a few spots near Fort Sask, if you would like to PM me I can tell you where to go.
Once you figure out how to fish the river you will be addicted, never knowing what is going to take your hook next is an awesome feeling!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:36 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:00 PM

You're using the right stuff, sounds like you either went on the wrong days (where for some reason the fish really aren't interested in anything) or you may not be fishing the ideal area for the fish you want. you said you've mostly caught goldeye, and that leads me to believe you're fishing heavier current. Try more in back eddies and deep pools, and let your lure sink farther down. I mean honestly no one has the right answer, but try what people have been saying and let us know how you do 😋 good luck
Old 04-01-2015, 03:08 PM

How far should I be casting out these sturgeon rigs? And how can I find deep pools?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM

when i bait fish on the nsr i cast very close to shore into slow moving water and try to have my rig sit close to the edge of the currernt, always catch lots of suckers and goldeye doing this.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 PM

Thanks! And does anyone k ow of any good shore fishing lakes in the Edmonton area? I would like to try fishing devils lake.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckAngler11 View Post
How far should I be casting out these sturgeon rigs? And how can I find deep pools?
Start with your rig in the top of the pool, if nothing move down, and so on. Finding deep pools just takes a little observation. Maybe go out with someone who has fished the NSR and they'll give you enough tips to get you more confident on the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckAngler11 View Post
Thanks! And does anyone k ow of any good shore fishing lakes in the Edmonton area? I would like to try fishing devils lake.
It's pre hard to find lakes with lots of productive fishable shoreline. Usually there are only patches of muddy-sandy-gravelly base where you can cast. Otherwise you'll be in cattails and reeds.
Wabamun has some shoreline, coal lake, wizard lake, Leduc resivoir, Beaumont pond, and pigeon. Most lakes have shoreline that is fishable, but around here, having a boat is much better. NSR is honestly your best bet for shore fishing.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Theres an awesome trout pond in fort just really picky fish
Old 04-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You got to learn to wiggle your rod to present the bait for the right receptive prey of your choice.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
Theres an awesome trout pond in fort just really picky fish
I live in the fort and I never have success there. But its nice to get out if the house and go get a hook wet.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:21 AM

Coal lake has good shore fishing from what I've observed. Lots of pike
Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 PM

The sturgeon rigs have supplied me with hours of fun and a couple sturgeon in between. Hook up on one of those babies and you'll be hooked on the nsr. My favorite for the Edmonton area for sure. Like he said, deep holes for walleye and suckers and the faster current will hold lots of goldeye. Happy fishin
Old 04-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Thanks and do worms or minnows usually work the best
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Banned

Took my GF fishing on the NSR last summer, 1st time fishing for her and guess what she caught, a 31" Walleye! Could not believe my eyes and said lol I was happy for her even though she didn't even realize what she caught and how big it was!

SKSNIPER: I went to a sturgeon rig to try to catch one of those puppies, never caught anything, what are you using for bait?
Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Took my GF fishing on the NSR last summer, 1st time fishing for her and guess what she caught, a 31" Walleye! Could not believe my eyes and said lol I was happy for her even though she didn't even realize what she caught and how big it was!

SKSNIPER: I went to a sturgeon rig to try to catch one of those puppies, never caught anything, what are you using for bait?
I used nothing but jumbo dew worms and I ended up catching every species listed in the regs for the NSR in PP2. (the pike took it as I was reeling in to check bait lol)
Patience is the key, some days I would only get 1 fish, others I would catch around 10. Only problem I find with worms is the friggin suckers will not go away, I caught 10 suckers for every sport fish landed (I know 1st world problem)
If you spend enough time down there eventually a Sturgeon will swim by and take your worm, and it's a blast when they do!