Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Default Bistcho lake

Well went to semo last weekend and had no luck didn't even see anything so we're gonna try bistcho this weekend. Anybody have any tips and where to start from? And about how deep? I know I heard the lake isn't that deep but just whatever info you guys decide to share would be appreciated thanks!! Feel free to PM to!
Old 02-05-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchie15 View Post
Well went to semo last weekend and had no luck didn't even see anything so we're gonna try bistcho this weekend. Anybody have any tips and where to start from? And about how deep? I know I heard the lake isn't that deep but just whatever info you guys decide to share would be appreciated thanks!! Feel free to PM to!
Ahhh bistcho!!! Isn't that that lake right next to to that awesome lake Thurston?....
Old 02-05-2015, 02:29 PM

Haven't been to either in over 25 years. Thurston used to be unreal for pigs!
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 PM

2 buddies along with a couple of other guys broke camp last weekend and fished Bistcho leaving sometime today. I talked with them Monday night and they said tons of action with multiple tip-up going off at a time but nuthin huge...they were fishing the north end delta at the river entrance. Like I said haven't talked since Monday, I know they were gonna move around but were limited to where the float plane could land due to snow drifts!!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
2 buddies along with a couple of other guys broke camp last weekend and fished Bistcho leaving sometime today. I talked with them Monday night and they said tons of action with multiple tip-up going off at a time but nuthin huge...they were fishing the north end delta at the river entrance. Like I said haven't talked since Monday, I know they were gonna move around but were limited to where the float plane could land due to snow drifts!!
That's were I've fished it, back when jack Halverson owned tapawing lodge. (Summer )
Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM

Yeah I heard Thursten can have huge pigs but that's hopefully for later on in the year haha! I know I've been on the lodges Websitr couple years ago but doesn't seem like many big fish out of there. we never did make it out there due to buddys skidoo broke down and the weather is crap. -35 fishing no thanks lol.

One guy had told us its plowed up until 3km away from the lake. Rest of the way is skidoo acess only! Did u speak to your buddies Moefoe?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah I heard Thursten can have huge pigs but that's hopefully for later on in the year haha! I know I've been on the lodges Websitr couple years ago but doesn't seem like many big fish out of there. we never did make it out there due to buddys skidoo broke down and the weather is crap. -35 fishing no thanks lol.

One guy had told us its plowed up until 3km away from the lake. Rest of the way is skidoo acess only! Did u speak to your buddies Moefoe?
Yes sir...float plane issues aside they had a good trip! 6-8 fish over 20lbs including one that was 46" and just shy of 30lbs. Many in the 10-15lbs range...ran out of bait on the last day and used strips of Whitefish on a pink jig head. Not sure if it's legal, probably not, worked like a charm! All Pike were released, kept 6 Whites and 2 Burbs...really cold almost ran out of propane but said they'd do it again!!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Wow that's good to hear. Well we don't have to worry about a plane we'd be driving there since im only in RBL hehe. Shocking it is i haven't been there yet :: but I finally have a skidoo.

Good for them though lucky ones. Least they managed to keep some burbot what I hear that lake doesn't have many at all. Did they stay at the cabins there? Or sleep on the ice? UR buddy not from around here then huh dang lol. U ever been?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 PM

yup turn left at gas plant then down the winter road / cut line.
Come to native cabins , unload sleds and drive river and into lake.
Have fun and post pics.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Wow that's good to hear. Well we don't have to worry about a plane we'd be driving there since im only in RBL hehe. Shocking it is i haven't been there yet :: but I finally have a skidoo.

Good for them though lucky ones. Least they managed to keep some burbot what I hear that lake doesn't have many at all. Did they stay at the cabins there? Or sleep on the ice? UR buddy not from around here then huh dang lol. U ever been?
Slept on the ice, big canvas tent...2 guys that I know are from Calgary, one is a Newfie from Ft Mac and the guy with the plane is from Ft Sask, never met them! We flew in there some 15 years ago, fished off the pontoons for 30mins until the bugs sent us packing, caught 5 Pike!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Slept on the ice, big canvas tent...2 guys that I know are from Calgary, one is a Newfie from Ft Mac and the guy with the plane is from Ft Sask, never met them! We flew in there some 15 years ago, fished off the pontoons for 30mins until the bugs sent us packing, caught 5 Pike!
hopefully we make it out there this coming weekend, to damn cold this passed one, ill definately let you know if any such luck, and the hopefully there would be a few holes out there so we'd know where to start fishing at, problem with semo there wasnt anything to give a guy an idea to start at...
Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 PM

This last summer I flew a helicopter for the Bistcho plant and we'd land or quad to the lake quite often, some real nice walleye comin outa there that's for sure.
Sure do miss landing on the side there and tossing a line
Old 02-13-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone View Post
This last summer I flew a helicopter for the Bistcho plant and we'd land or quad to the lake quite often, some real nice walleye comin outa there that's for sure.
Sure do miss landing on the side there and tossing a line
I think if you can get yourself up there the lodge will rent cabins and boats for less then flying you out from high level.

my trip there is booked already. can't wait.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-25-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Wow

Well went to bistcho yesterday was alright fishing lotta small fish. Unlike lakes that are sunmer accessible and with no lodge. We skidood in there checked out tapawingo lodge. Checked out all there pictures of ppls catches and leader board. Came to the conckusion Id never pay more then $1000 to stay there the 1. lady that was there was a grouch, not a ppl person. Well not to paying clients anyway. Wouldn't give us tips or where to fish either 2. Can catch bigger fish else where not many big fish on the leader board, where its accessible all year. 3. Whole lodge area is messy junk cluttered everywhere. (Maybe just cause winter isn't a busy time for them)

I'm sure everyone has different experiences and better but just sharing mine. Stay safe friends.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:13 PM

A few years ago I went commercial fishing there with my grandpa, there are a lot of huge fish in that lake! we had two nets set up for a week and caught many walleye over 8 pounds, whitefish, suckers, and best of all at least 12 pike over 30lb! the biggest was 38lb!!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Well with all the commercial fishing they were allowing Prob not that many huge fish in there all im saying is at a accessible lake I know if catch 85cm+ pike every catch. The odd small one. But not like bistcho biggest we got out of 8 fish was 76cn rest were well under 50ish. Could be the area to don't know the lake. Just when I seen the leader board for the whole year last year me n my buddies beat it. Hehe. Not t argue with U. I do believe it. Possibly was just the area.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 PM

No offence taken, but, i'll have you know that in the last ten years the commercial limit has never been even close to half filled. I think it is a large part location, my grandpa has over 50 years of experience on that lake. and also possably the time of year, we went in late November. sadly, commercial fishing is closed across alberta now, but they have opened up the walleye limits on bistcho, I guess their numbers are getting a little high due to lack of fishing pressure
Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 PM

Well with the limit not being half filled, wouldnt that mean hardly much for fish, but no i know theres lots cause we caught lot of small ones, I know i heard there is big fish there, but like of all the pictures they have up on that bulletin board there is big ones, but for a lake that hardly gets pressured besides the netting i figured thered be more quality with the little pressure it gets.. probably has alot to do with trying to find the right spot to, And the lake isnt guided either is it? if u chose to go with the cabin?

Which part of the lake would ur grandpa net at? is there a certain locaton they can only net at?, When we were out there im sure there were 2 nets set up on the south east bay where the indian cabins is, and there was 2 sets of sticks about 100ft apart from one another i was tempted to dril a hole next to it and put my camera down there but didnt....