Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 02:13 PM

Default Sask camping trip.

I've got to 12 day stretches booked off this summer, and I'm planning to take my family to explore Northern Saskatchewan. I'm planning to take a truck camper and our canoe, we all like fishing but I'm thinking the trip will be more of a road trip. Planning to stay mobile and do lots of exploring, but with lots of fishing and some overnight canoe tripping along the way.

So I'm looking for any suggestions on routes to take, places to fish and hike, and some nice canoe trip friendly lakes to spend a few days at. We will be crossing into Sask at Cold lake and then heading north east from there. Thanks for any info.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:01 PM

Narrow Hills Provincial Park is a nice area. We have used it as a base to explore many lakes in that area inside and outside the provincial park. Multiple species of fish available including many trout species. Many lakes within an hour or so drive. Several options for campgrounds. Also the southeast arm of Deschambault Lake has a small campground. The southeast arm is kind of like an inlet with many bays and islands and is usually sheltered from the wind and good for a canoe.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:04 PM

2X on the Narrowhills idea.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 PM

That section of the Hanson lake road has lots of lakes that are canoe friendly. All species of trout , walleye pike and perch
Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 AM

Maybe go through green lake then up to buffalo narrows and a little further north from there. All sorts of lakes and great fishing opportunities up that way.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
2X on the Narrowhills idea.
X3. There is a ton of little lakes perfect for canoes around there. Mostly stocked trout species, the gem lakes are also neat to see even if you dont fish them.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Maybe go through green lake then up to buffalo narrows and a little further north from there. All sorts of lakes and great fishing opportunities up that way.
This trip had been one of my plans, Google earth shows a dirt road that cuts north through Meadow lake park and hooks back up with the pavement near Canoe Lake, also shows a dirt road that heads east and after that could take me to Besnard or La Ronge, beyond La Ronge looks like an awful lot of water. Guy could get lost for a whole summer up there, not how good those roads are though?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:20 PM

With all the recommendations, I will for sure have to look into the Narrow Hills area.

Just to further clarify the nature of the trip, I'd like to mostly fish for pike and walleye, and we are pretty comfortable fishing rivers as well as lakes. We don't plan on staying any campgrounds, just pulling over wherever looks good, and trying to catch dinner from shore or the canoe. We regularly use the canoe to fish and camp on Lesser Slave Lake, so while we arent afraid of big water, lakes with lots of islands and bays would be much preffered.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
This trip had been one of my plans, Google earth shows a dirt road that cuts north through Meadow lake park and hooks back up with the pavement near Canoe Lake, also shows a dirt road that heads east and after that could take me to Besnard or La Ronge, beyond La Ronge looks like an awful lot of water. Guy could get lost for a whole summer up there, not how good those roads are though?
If you East from Beauvel and up to Pinehouse, theres a really good road albeit very gravely that runs north to the Key Lake mine, there are small lakes along the way that are teaming with Walleye. If you go up to about KM 187 theres a trail off to the right that will get you into Costigan Lake, huge pike and Lake trout. Near there is an airstrip, if you go to the end of the airstrip, there is a trail that goes to the right down to another smaller but deep lake, that holds huge pike and Lakers.

The Halltain river and Churchill river have Grayling and all the other good ones to catch.

Travl that road north to the mine and beyond there are rivers and lakes that will keep you buys from June to October.

Bears, wolves, lake trout, pike, moose, caribou walleye, Grayling HUGE MOSQUITOS too.

Up this way the locals are sparse and you can be reasonably assured that your stuff will be safe. Never had a problem up this way. North of Buffalo Narrows, the locals are little more cantankerous and will steal you blind.

BW
Old 02-18-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
If you East from Beauvel and up to Pinehouse, theres a really good road albeit very gravely that runs north to the Key Lake mine, there are small lakes along the way that are teaming with Walleye. If you go up to about KM 187 theres a trail off to the right that will get you into Costigan Lake, huge pike and Lake trout. Near there is an airstrip, if you go to the end of the airstrip, there is a trail that goes to the right down to another smaller but deep lake, that holds huge pike and Lakers.

The Halltain river and Churchill river have Grayling and all the other good ones to catch.

Travl that road north to the mine and beyond there are rivers and lakes that will keep you buys from June to October.

Bears, wolves, lake trout, pike, moose, caribou walleye, Grayling HUGE MOSQUITOS too.

Up this way the locals are sparse and you can be reasonably assured that your stuff will be safe. Never had a problem up this way. North of Buffalo Narrows, the locals are little more cantankerous and will steal you blind.

BW
Thanks, this sounds great! While I want to cover some ground, I'd like to set a pace that doesn't requires fairly minimal time spent on the road most days. The route you've suggested sounds perfect. I'll probably do this route on my fist stretch, in early July.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
X2 if you are mainly after walleye and pike I'd do this compared to narrow hills. Alot more remote and adventurous also not to mention lacking people which to me would be the selling point
Old 02-18-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks, this sounds great! While I want to cover some ground, I'd like to set a pace that doesn't requires fairly minimal time spent on the road most days. The route you've suggested sounds perfect. I'll probably do this route on my fist stretch, in early July.
PM me if you want and I will give you my phone number. I went up there quite a bit in the '90's and early 2000's. I can probably answer questions or tell you more. I do have a yearning to go back, but that will be at least another summer away.

BW
Old 02-18-2020, 01:07 PM

Yup narrow hills. I bought some dirt near Snowden for the simple fact it’s dead centre between Tobin lake and Narrow hills. Very canoe friendly small lakes along the Hansen road.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I know some areas of these back roads can get real soupy if it rains for a few days so 4 wheel drive is always nice....Besnard road has some real sandy spots just add water and it gets ugly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-18-2020, 03:03 PM

You will not be alone at Costigan or the Wheeler in July. It’s much busier up there than it used to be.

Make sure you’ve got good tires.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
You will not be alone at Costigan or the Wheeler in July. It’s much busier up there than it used to be.

Make sure you’ve got good tires.
Yes but there are many more areas that get little attention. Costigan is the big draw, the others take a little more searching and are just as rewarding.

BW