Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 04:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When it's all said and done, Trudeau will keep giving Quebec handouts whenever they squeal. He will buy them off again before the next election, and they will support him, because they don't like the alternatives. 9f you arte watching the news, the rail from Ottawa to Quebec City is being opened for service again, so Trudeau is showing special treatment to Quebec.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/vi...uolgeJ25ZvaaMw
Crap...here's hoping he pizzes the Quebec nation off in months to come....eventually he will...somethings gotta give.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-18-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Seems now Quebec nation is getting upset now with the turd so hold tight next go around will have a different outcome....hunker down. I say sometime you gotta be right to be wrong or so wrong that eventually your right....sorry for the headaches

send Twisted Canuck a medic...bill me the expenses
No headaches. Forums are for polite discussion and this is one. I hope you are right, but am not real optimistic.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Thats a good article, I read that just this morning! Lots of truth in there. I have the AT on my phone homepage, as well as The American Conservative and the National Review. All good sources that will make you think. Thanks for posting.
This is a passage from that article;

The assault against normalcy, common sense, civil rights and charter freedoms gives no indication of relenting. Bill S-202, an act to amend the Criminal Code now before Parliament, would outlaw what the government misleadingly calls “Conversion Therapy,” that is, by criminalizing parents, lawyers, physicians and church leaders who object to state-compelled sex-reassignment procedures, the bill would effectively prevent minor children undergoing forced transgender operations, surgical and hormonal, from receiving the help they need.

Now I’m not any sort of legal expert but if you could point specifically to the passage in the proposed criminal code that would enable “state-compelled sex-reassignment procedures” that would be great. This sounds like a pretty drastic change so I’m looking for detailed follow up. Is it like a lottery kind of deal or are they just gonna drive around with a van and grab people at random? I mean I suppose it would be flattering for the van people to decide I would make a pretty girl but what if I had an oil change appointment later that day... quite the hassle.

Like if we can’t find a section in the criminal code that allows the “state-compelled sex- reassignment” vans then maybe whomever wrote this article is a lunatic. That couldn’t be the case, could it?
Old 02-18-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
This is a passage from that article;

The assault against normalcy, common sense, civil rights and charter freedoms gives no indication of relenting. Bill S-202, an act to amend the Criminal Code now before Parliament, would outlaw what the government misleadingly calls “Conversion Therapy,” that is, by criminalizing parents, lawyers, physicians and church leaders who object to state-compelled sex-reassignment procedures, the bill would effectively prevent minor children undergoing forced transgender operations, surgical and hormonal, from receiving the help they need.

Now I’m not any sort of legal expert but if you could point specifically to the passage in the proposed criminal code that would enable “state-compelled sex-reassignment procedures” that would be great. This sounds like a pretty drastic change so I’m looking for detailed follow up. Is it like a lottery kind of deal or are they just gonna drive around with a van and grab people at random? I mean I suppose it would be flattering for the van people to decide I would make a pretty girl but what if I had an oil change appointment later that day... quite the hassle.

Like if we can’t find a section in the criminal code that allows the “state-compelled sex- reassignment” vans then maybe whomever wrote this article is a lunatic. That couldn’t be the case, could it?

If you are looking for a scrap, look elsewhere. You may not have noticed that I qualified my statement by saying there is a lot of truth in it, but did not indicate it was all gospel in any way. Good you took the time to comment on the bit I also questioned and discarded when I read it. Doesn't mean that everything in the entire article is without basis or merit. But feel free to get all ****y about it if you like, won't change my life any.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-18-2020, 05:11 PM

Some of us are thinking about our grandchildren. Not just us riding through the SS .

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-18-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Some of us are thinking about our grandchildren. Not just us riding through the SS .
Exactly. Huntinstuff made the same comment, that it was selfish to not consider past your own lifetime, just because you are secure and content...Or fat and happy. Whatever. Maybe folks are just worried about their government pensions, I dunno. I don't have a pension.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-18-2020, 05:33 PM

The worst part is our POS government, Keep us fight and dividing us. Western Canada falls for it, Including the Indigenous people that crossed the land bridge from Europe.:

norwestalta

LC

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you are looking for a scrap, look elsewhere. You may not have noticed that I qualified my statement by saying there is a lot of truth in it, but did not indicate it was all gospel in any way.
So this may be a flaw in my character I suppose but if you tell me three things and one of them is an obvious lie then I’m going to be awful suspicious about the other two. Some would say that conflicts with what I like to think of as a centrist pragmatic approach to politics but I would argue that the current tendency to conflate fact and opinion is actually one of the most dangerous problems our society is facing.

Quote:
Doesn't mean that everything in the entire article is without basis or merit.
Nope, that’s exactly what it means to me. If the author can’t prove his case without resorting to blatant lies then there’s nothing more to be said. “I know this is true but I have to lie to prove it“ is not an ethically sound position.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:44 PM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. In my experience just about everything I have ever read probably has flaws in it. That doesn't negate the entirety of it. Just like your post has some good points, and some that I disagree with. And, as I said earlier, if you are looking for a scrap, you are going to have to find it elsewhere.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:52 PM

I dont see why lots seem to think being the 51st State is the way to go. Whats to stop them from going left again and they will. Polosi wasted 3.5 years to try to get rid of Trump, it aint over yet down there. And remember they where dumb enough to vote for Obama twice.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
I dont see why lots seem to think being the 51st State is the way to go. Whats to stop them from going left again and they will. Polosi wasted 3.5 years to try to get rid of Trump, it aint over yet down there. And remember they where dumb enough to vote for Obama twice.
I'm not suggesting it's the best alternative, but it is one alternative. There are a lot of positives in it. More autonomy in a Republic. A strong and excellent Constitution (unlike Canada's). Term limits for the President (as opposed to the legal possibility of Trudeau running the country for the next 20 years or more, if the East wants to keep electing him. Doesn't matter how we vote.).....the list is long.

Just one option. Separation and forming our own country is another, which has its own pros and cons. Or, remain part of Canada, because we have 'free' healthcare and we don't like 'Merica because of all the stereotypes we believe....And we don't mind getting screwed endlessly by the Powers that rule us. Indentured servitude, taxation without representation, and values dictated by a progressive ideologically driven cult.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
So this may be a flaw in my character I suppose but if you tell me three things and one of them is an obvious lie then I’m going to be awful suspicious about the other two. Some would say that conflicts with what I like to think of as a centrist pragmatic approach to politics but I would argue that the current tendency to conflate fact and opinion is actually one of the most dangerous problems our society is facing.

Nope, that’s exactly what it means to me. If the author can’t prove his case without resorting to blatant lies then there’s nothing more to be said. “I know this is true but I have to lie to prove it“ is not an ethically sound position.
You best not watch the news then because the CBC lies worse than Judas Iscariot. And, the US is worse because they have competing extremist stations (Fox, CNN, and MSNBC) that contradict each other 24 hrs a day.

Hopefully, we have all been taught that your version of truth may differ from another's, and that when dealing in a modern media world, it is wise to chew the meat and spit out the bones.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:33 PM

Among all the poor points, 58 did raise a good one: what is the game plan?
Should we petition the provincial government to inquire with the USA as to what it would take to become another state?
To gauge their interest, and see what would actually be involved.
Can't hurt to start looking, and it would be good to see the reaction from ottawa.
I could see support for this even from people who dont actually want to leave canada, but want to show that Alberta is playing hardball.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Should we petition the provincial government to inquire with the USA as to what it would take to become another state?
Can't hurt to start looking, and it would be good to see the reaction from ottawa.
I could see support for this even from people who dont actually want to leave canada, but want to show that Alberta is playing hardball.
We need a different government in Alberta to get the ball rolling. Kenney is a Federalist to the core, he isn't going to facilitate separation. I'm starting to wonder if he isn't a 'plant' sent here to keep everyone sedated, as much as possible, by pretending to do something, say a few 'tough' things....And business as usual.

The problem is the various separatist movements in Alberta are too divided. I posted a link to an editorial that Dennis Young (Wexit) wrote, about the various factions pulling together for a common cause. That has to happen, or nothing will ever get past the talking stage. Once there is a United coalition, they need to take enough seats to form government in Alberta as step one.

It's a long road, that's where it has to start imo. Or Kenney sees the light and holds a referendum, and not about equalization. Until he does that, I don't trust he is actually going to help Alberta much. Help us to be a good province in Confederation maybe. Status quo.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what Kenney should be doing. The worst that could come of it is the easterners who take us for granted as imbeciles and ploebes, see that we are serious, and options exist.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
This is not a bad idea. Testing the waters to see if the US would offer a reasonable agreement is worth while. Worst case it’s a dead end that will make Trudeau sweat. Who knows might hear something worth while too

Never hurts to start a conversation
Old 02-18-2020, 07:24 PM

So when we dont have things the way we want we should join the states?

What about when we dont want what they want? Go back to Canada?

Start our own country?

What if those South of Calgary dont want to leave?

What if Calgary wants to leave and Edmonton doesnt?

What if north of Edmonton doesnt want to leave Canada.

Majority rules?

OK then what about Canada?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

Start our own country?

Majority rules?

So, what you're saying is, everything is just fine the way it is, you're good, nothing needs to change, just keep smiling because we got healthcare. Gotcha.

Sorry for bringing up a topic suggesting things could change for the better, and that options could be looked at.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Start our own country?

Majority rules?

^^^^^ this attitude is why the west gets screwed...…..
Old 02-18-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
So, what you're saying is, everything is just fine the way it is, you're good, nothing needs to change, just keep smiling because we got healthcare. Gotcha.

Sorry for bringing up a topic suggesting things could change for the better, and that options could be looked at.

See my post on page 1(#15).

Old 02-18-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Proud to be an Albertan

and

Canadian.

While I can also see some things could use changing, the above do not need to.
In case you dont want to look for it.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post

See post 15

Old 02-18-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I got big shoulders. Yup, my fault.

Guess it doesnt matter I voted conservative.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:

See post 15
Do you believe things will change and improve for the better, without a radical change in Confederation? Specifically for Alberta. Or is it sufficient to just keep on keeping on, business as usual?

Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 PM

For what it's worth, post 15 doesn't really say much of anything.
(In my opinion)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:

See post 15
Guess it's time to put your big boy boy pants on! Some of us Albertans's are fighting for our grandchildren's future. OMFG It's not all about me!!

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-18-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Do you believe things will change and improve for the better, without a radical change in Confederation? Specifically for Alberta. Or is it sufficient to just keep on keeping on, business as usual?

Uh, yes, I believe it will get better. Might not be easy or quick and will require some serious effort on the part of our politicians.

Will it be to your satisfaction? Unlikely.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Guess it's time to put your big boy boy pants on! Some of us Albertans's are fighting for our grandchildren's future. OMFG It's not all about me!!
I have grandchildren too. Just because I differ from your opinion you have to swear and belittle. Way to get your point across.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Uh, yes, I believe it will get better. Might not be easy or quick and will require some serious effort on the part of our politicians.

Will it be to your satisfaction? Unlikely.
If it gets better, why wouldn't it be satisfactory to me? I'm not at all against renegotiating an equitable place in confederation. I just don't believe that QC or ON (for the most part) are interested in having that talk. They like things just the way they are. But if it could be done, sure, I'd be happy to see a fair deal for Alberta. And, if we can't get one, Plan B.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 PM

A question from an outsider. If Alberta were to become independent do you have the infrastructure in place to manage your society? Healthcare, tax collection, judiciary, prisons, etc? I do not know how much is handled by your "federal" government now.
This has been very interesting to follow along. One thought, it was mentioned above that our President has term limits. Terrific, the problem is they ALL should have term limits. Two very dangerous words to a people's government are "career politician".

Osky