Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 AM

Default Meet your neighbor, hang out for some beers, then stab him to death??

It sure will be interesting to find out what drove this Rasberry fellow to kill his schoolteacher neighbor shortly after the met? It certainly doesn't fit the mold of your typical homicide Kind of odd that the article is rife with "he's such an awesome guy" quotes regarding the killer and barely touches on the poor victim. Perhaps its partly due to the killers well-known uncle, it was the first assumption I made when hearing his family name, even before the article confirmed the relation.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/cr...638/story.html

Nicholas Rasberry worked as a mechanical engineer, tended bar at his uncle’s nightclub and moved into a two-storey home in southeast Calgary with his wife and their pets.

There was nothing concerning about him to those who knew him — until he was charged with second-degree murder in connection with the stabbing death of a man who lived on the same street.

Police said Rasberry and Harvey “Craig” Kelloway, a 31-year-old middle-school science teacher, had met for the first time just hours before Kelloway was killed Saturday night at Rasberry’s home.

News of the charges shocked a former colleague of Rasberry.

“He’s incredibly smart, really good to work with, a really awesome guy,” said one man, who last worked with Rasberry several years ago did not want his name published.

“There’s two sides to every story and I know Nick. That’s not Nick. There’s more that needs to be understood, too. This guy is the type of guy if you needed a hand with anything, he’d be there.”

Officers and paramedics were called to a residence in the 100 block of Auburn Springs Close S.E. in Auburn Bay before 11:30 p.m. after someone called 911 from the home.

Kelloway was found with critical stab wounds but could not be saved.

Police said the accused man had gone to the victim’s house earlier in the day to introduce himself. After they met, the two men hung out throughout the day with other people.

They ended up at Rasberry’s home where an altercation broke out and Kelloway was stabbed.

Alcohol was involved. Police are trying to determine a motive.

Neighbours were shocked to see the incident unfold in their community, and to learn of the charges. They said the home had no hint of trouble and called the owner nice, clean cut and professional looking.

Tyler, who asked that his last name not be printed, said the man seemed nice and had even introduced his dogs to Tyler’s kids.

“There was no signs that he was a bad guy. He probably got caught up in the heat of the moment.”

“That’s the shocking thing. I don’t think he had it in him. Maybe I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt now. Wrong place, wrong time.

“He didn’t seem like a bad guy by any means.”

Sylvia Areny, who lives around the corner, said it was the first real sunny weekend and residents were just coming out of hibernation.

“Garage doors were open and people were meeting each other,” Areny said.

She said the crime is sad more than anything.

“It doesn’t make me feel any less safe,” she said. “It’s an isolated incident.”

Rasberry, who had no criminal history, is expected to appear in court Wednesday.

While Rasberry’s family was reluctant to speak about the 30-year-old, an online bio on a personalized site about his wedding provided a glimpse into his life.

The bio indicated Rasberry studied mechanical engineering at the University of Calgary.

While in school, he worked as a bartender at the recently shuttered Back Alley Nightclub owned by his uncle, Doug Rasberry, who declined to comment when reached by the Herald on Tuesday.

It was at the Back Alley where Rasberry met his wife, whom he married in Mexico two years ago, according to the website.

The pair briefly spent time in Qatar, where Rasberry was overseeing a project for Enersul, a Calgary sulphur company.

A company spokeswoman declined to comment when reached by phone.

According to a bio on the Enersul website, Rasberry has been with the company for six years, currently working as the manager of technical sales. His work has taken him to Qatar, Taiwan and Germany.

Meanwhile, a Facebook memorial page has been created for Kelloway, with condolence messages from students flooding the wall.

Many credited Kelloway for being a positive role model who never gave up on his students and made learning fun.

His family in Nova Scotia are making funeral arrangements.

-With files from Stephane Massinon and Bryan Weismiller, Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Sl...#ixzz2Sg7ytxWI
Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 AM

Pure speculation on my part, but when they say alcohol was involved, I'm guessing that one of them doesn't handle booze all that well.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 AM

my sister worked with the guy that was murdered . It's really messing her up at the moment . He was a good teacher and a great guy from what I've heard . Not sure what to make of this one
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Pure speculation on my part, but when they say alcohol was involved, I'm guessing that one of them doesn't handle booze all that well.
I would say neither of them can handle booze very well. It's sad to see so many lives ruined over a bad drunk. I'd be willing to bet under sober circumstances that neither guy would put themselves in that situation. Sad.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 AM

Wondering if some romantic overtures were made that were not well received by one of the parties?

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Wondering if some romantic overtures were made that were not well received by one of the parties?
First thing that came to my mind.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Like what happened in pulp fiction with the cop ?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
First thing that came to my mind.
It sure does make you wonder....a seemingly normal docile guy goes into a rage and stabs someone to death....

LC
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Exactly what I thought as well
Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
you got it Gay pride day
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Makes the most sense. If you can call it sense
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Doesn,t really matter The guy killed someone there is no exuse for 2nd degree murder its not self defense or anything like that its murder ....

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Doesn,t really matter The guy killed someone there is no exuse for 2nd degree murder its not self defense or anything like that its murder ....
Was I excusing it?

Simply speculating. Could be that the victim made an overture and the killer reacted badly. Could be that the killer made the overture and the victim spurned him and the killer reacted badly. Could be that there is something completely oddball at play here.

I am betting that the killer plays a "self defense" card of some sort though.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 AM

The schoolteacher victim leaves behind a 5-month old son, so that reduces that 'romantic overtures' scenario somewhat, at least from his end. The suspected killer worked as a bartender at the Back Alley, so to me (knowing bars from having worked in them) that increases the odds that he could well have been coked up, but he'd also be used to all kinds of characters acting very weird if that were the case. I'm leaning towards this being the bar-star rather than the schoolteacher, just because my hunch is that a teacher acts less self-important than a meat market bartender. This will probably have a surprise ending like that self-"kidnapping" baker who everyone though was getting his freak on, when he just concocted an elaborate scheme due to his overwhelming debt/fraud.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM

funny how we are blaming the victim blame the murder

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Over the last few days, the victim has gotten a lot of wonderful words on many different news articles. I think this article that you posted was just to show that Rasberry as well was a good person.

Bad things can happen when you don't drink responsibly - its very sad to see that both Kelloway and Rasberry got into this situation.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Default No one know yet the facts!

I choose to wait for the fact to come out in court, as I find speculation a waste of time
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
funny how we are blaming the victim blame the murder
You seem to be reading an awful lot into the postings that isn't there. I haven't seen anyone blame the victim yet.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz Dog View Post
I choose to wait for the fact to come out in court, as I find speculation a waste of time
Speculation is the lifeblood of forums like this. Without it there would be no forum.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 AM

It's simple. Ban assault guns.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I would say neither of them can handle booze very well. It's sad to see so many lives ruined over a bad drunk. I'd be willing to bet under sober circumstances that neither guy would put themselves in that situation. Sad.
X2, booze destroyed my family and extended family. It's too bad that people get so out if their mind wasted that they resort to bad things, as well as doing anything for thier next drink.

RIP to the victim,
I have no sympathy for the MURDERER, may he rot in a cell for the rest of his life.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
It's simple. Ban assault guns.
Yea really,
I was going to bring up the "weed" argument as I am sure the parties would have hugged it out after smoking one.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Over the last few days, the victim has gotten a lot of wonderful words on many different news articles. I think this article that you posted was just to show that Rasberry as well was a good person.

Bad things can happen when you don't drink responsibly - its very sad to see that both Kelloway and Rasberry got into this situation.
I'll concur that the whole scenario is unfortunate, most particularly for the young boy who'll never remember his father. Thats where I have an issue with Raspberry, as he stole something absolutely irreplaceable to that boy. Also you were possibly accurate when noting the accused perhaps was formerly good by your use of past tense, then he took that major U-turn, ended a life, and ruined surrounding lives. Also, welcome to the forum, random friend/acquaintance/relative of Nick Raspberry named Mari.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM

If you google this situation at all, you'll find a plethora of information about the victim. There are TWO sides to every story - period. It was helpful to read something about the suspect (ie it would be easier to sit in judgment if he owned 18 assault rifles and killed small animals for pleasure).

It's incredibly ignorant and reflects poorly upon your judgment when you begin hoping that the "murderer rots" without understanding the situation. Small minded idiots rambling on the internet about situations they know about only from what they've read on the internet is so ridiculous. Try to refrain from being morons.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieR View Post
If you google this situation at all, you'll find a plethora of information about the victim. There are TWO sides to every story - period. It was helpful to read something about the suspect (ie it would be easier to sit in judgment if he owned 18 assault rifles and killed small animals for pleasure).

It's incredibly ignorant and reflects poorly upon your judgment when you begin hoping that the "murderer rots" without understanding the situation. Small minded idiots rambling on the internet about situations they know about only from what they've read on the internet is so ridiculous. Try to refrain from being morons.
Well if you know both sides to the story please fill us in. Regardless he took the life of another human being which in inexcusable in my books. I wish the family of both parties the best, but hope the murderer gets what he deserves.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the Internet, where morons pop in from all over the place. You must be new here..............

Many people shoot gophers and own semi-automatic rifles to do so with, and are fine citizens who don't kill people. You wouldn't know the definition of an assault rifle anyways, speaking of being clueless and spouting off....
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
Well if you know both sides to the story please fill us in. Regardless he took the life of another human being which in inexcusable in my books. I wish the family of both parties the best, but hope the murderer gets what he deserves.
I don't know both sides of the story. I said that there ARE two sides.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Give me a break Jamie...

Oh so we should give the murder a hug and tell him not to do it again, really. He stabbed the person down the street from my house multiple times!!

Raspberry can ROT, nice guy or not he MURDERED A PERSON IN COLD BLOOD.

Have a re-read if your post, then lets have a think who the moron is.

And what does killing small animals and ownin "assault rifles" have to do with anything? More than half the people on this site own firearms and kill groundhogs. Do we stab our neighbors to death the first day we meet them??

Go away troll,..
Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Yes, there are people who shoot gophers for pleasure and own weapons to do so and don't believe I implied that they weren't "fine" citizens. It would, however, be easier to sit in judgment if that same person then killed another person - as they have demonstrated an ease with taking a life Would it be right to sit in judgment? I don't think so. But based on the evidence some here have based their judgments upon .... (Disclaimer, I come from a long family of hunters so I really, really don't think this represents a valid basis).

It's a tragic situation and I feel for both parties.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM

SImple A Murder is a murder end of story