Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Man shoots buck with decaying head attached

https://calgarysun.com/news/weird/hu...box=1542734686

A hunter in Kentucky shot a buck that was packing around what appeared to be the loser of a fight between them. Hopefully the link opens
Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM

Default Two for one

Man what a deal two heads for the price of one LOL that don't happen every day
Old 11-20-2018, 03:18 PM

Wonder if the taxidermist would give him a two-for-one deal on that one?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Wonder if the taxidermist would give him a two-for-one deal on that one?
That would make a one of a kind mount either way!
Old 11-21-2018, 09:46 PM

Sorry, this one just doesn’t make sense to me! No way a live deer locks ups with a dead deer. And if the live deer had a dead deer, someone somewhere cut the dead deer from the body .
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
Sorry, this one just doesn’t make sense to me! No way a live deer locks ups with a dead deer. And if the live deer had a dead deer, someone somewhere cut the dead deer from the body .
>>
If the dead buck was decomposed enough, it wouldn't take a whole bunch of effort to snap it loose from the body. We've seen what bucks can do to decoys and if he was riled up enough, I can see it happening. "look a buck laying down, on my route!! he's going to get it now'
Old 11-21-2018, 11:02 PM

Just my two cents worth of thought,some one cut the deer free and it split with the other head.Now this head starts to stink and a deers nose is really what keeps him alive,so the stench must have masked the bucks ability to smell,so he was one hell of lucky buck not to be found by predators.

The dead deer I think would be more torn up from trees and such from being rammed to shake the extra parcel from his side,but I could be very wrong.I wish I could see the live deer side of his face cause the fur would be just raw on the side of his face from dragging this extra weight.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 PM

The degree of decomposition seems pretty extreme. I don’t know if a buck would charge something that decomposed on his path as the smell would be completely different than in my situation, but I have personally had a buck attack a dead buck. About 10 years ago I called in a medium sized whitetail buck in a bit of a valley and shot him. I field dressed him, then hiked out to get the quad. When I quaded over the ridge, there was a larger buck battling mine on the ground but he bailed as soon as I came over the ridge. Obviously in this case, my buck was fresh and had all the smells of a true competitor.

We had the same thing happen with two bull moose a number of years ago. Couldn’t locate the downed bull one night and when we returned the next morning and found him, there was another bull showing him who’s boss.

I do also recall in some small roadside “museum” somewhere in northern Alberta or B.C. there being a set of interlocked moose antlers that had the same story behind them, some hunter shot one bull with a second head attached. I don’t recall the details as it was years ago when I was just a kid touring around with my parents but do have a recollection of that mount on the wall.