Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
I think the distance should be increased to 50 yards... and people can use range finders if you don't score your points? or after all shots are taken in group?
Distance will likely remain at 40, in the spirit of good will and sportsmanship no rangefinders will be allowed on the course. This class may be run along side the others do we don't want the potential for indiscretions . If folks want to know the distance....pace it off when you retrieve arrows. There is already a MBR/FPC class that has a 50yard Max.

LC
Old 05-15-2015, 11:48 AM

they might find 40 yrds difficult when it comes to indoor 3d shoots just saying
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM

We at L.O.S.T. Arrow Archery have an outdoor range out to 70 yds ...
Random 3D targets and stationary Range targets at 20-30-40-50 and 60 yds

Any ABA member that wants to practice their yardage for these shoots can use our range at no charge !!!

Neil
Old 05-15-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
they might find 40 yrds difficult when it comes to indoor 3d shoots just saying
I don't follow? Indoor shoots are all already 50 yard max....outdoors are 40 yards for the "old" Hunter class, that was kept consistant with the new bowhunter challenge class .....and to the best of my knowledge the ABA is only involved in outdoor 3d.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-15-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 PM

didn't know they are not involved with indoor 3d no worries then
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Is there a list of participating clubs that are holding these shoots?
Old 05-15-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear74 View Post
Is there a list of participating clubs that are holding these shoots?
Don't have a final list yet but I believe several are going to be adding the class to their regular shoots. I would ask if people want the class added be vocal ask your local club 3d coordinators.

LC
Old 05-15-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

Not everyone has a rangefinder...BUT everyone has the potential to become better at judging range.

LC

Judging real life animals are a lot different than judging some of these 3d targets. For instance the Rinehart small bears. You put one of those out at 25yds. They look like they are 35. That's where knowing your targets comes in.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear74 View Post
Judging real life animals are a lot different than judging some of these 3d targets. For instance the Rinehart small bears. You put one of those out at 25yds. They look like they are 35. That's where knowing your targets comes in.
Absolutely....that's where exposure to the different targets and practice judging comes in....personally this is only my 3rd year of 3d. I still remember the first time I encountered a mosquito Only way to know them is to get exposure and attend shoots or your local 3d range.

I am not going to let a broken or dead battery range finder hold me back from filling a tag.

We can only strive to simulate....of course nothing is like the real deal.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-15-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:13 PM

Personally, I would like to say thank you very much to Lefty and all of those involved in thus endeavor. Hats off to you folks!

Iirc, the intent was to give people an place to go and practice/shoot where everyone they are grouped with has the same style of equipment. A place where they can both have fun and at the same time develop skills and hang out with people with at least the common interest of bow hunting.

It is obvious that there is never going to be a combination of rules or guidelines that is unanimously accepted, since everyone has their opinion, and as long as it has been aired and considered, that's all that is all that can be asked.

What really matters is that we are lucky enough to have a group of people that are sympathetic to the cause and are willing to put in a lot of time and effort to provide us with venues where we can go out and shoot and have fun without feeling out of place.

It seems like the committee is under attack in half of these posts. There is no reason that the committee members should have to defend what is obviously a work in progress! As it has been stated, input will be asked for, likely at the shoots themselves and maybe if enough people support this initiative changes can be made for next years season!

Embrace the efforts put forth, and come out and shoot. There are a few things I don't agree with either, but that won't keep me from participating! I think this is a great opportunity for bow hunters to come together. Just come out and shoot!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I also see your point ...However whether a seasoned 3D shooter or a veteran bowhunter, or a new shooter more importantly...the object always for all is to "Pick a spot" the "spot" in this case that spot is the X.

One of the biggest mistakes bowhunter experiance is a total miss or a wound due to aiming at entire animal instead of "picking a spot or X"

So other than Leftys bang on point of eliminating a 100 way tie, it is just good practise to teach all bowhunters to "pick a spot" on the animal...in this case as mentioned it just happens to be that X spot...

Over the years I have developed the ability...That once my animal is identified as an animal I want...I focus on that X or spot and nothing else...before I draw and thru entire shot...I dont see nothing else on/of that animal regardless of antler or fang size...this is the same principal.

Oh and Stinkhammer if you hear deer and elk talking to you...its time to get out of the woods for a while son....lol

Neil

Good point on focusing on the spot. The 100 way tie thing doesn't happen though. I have been in several of theses styles of shoots and my first impression was that there would be a huge tie and it just hasn't ever happened. Over the course of three rounds of shooting scores get very spread out and very rarely is there a tie. Either way it will be good to see some other clubs picking up this format.

And Lost if the deer and elk aren't talking to you your not spending enough time in the bush!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Good point on focusing on the spot. The 100 way tie thing doesn't happen though. I have been in several of theses styles of shoots and my first impression was that there would be a huge tie and it just hasn't ever happened. Over the course of three rounds of shooting scores get very spread out and very rarely is there a tie. Either way it will be good to see some other clubs picking up this format.

And Lost if the deer and elk aren't talking to you your not spending enough time in the bush!
KUDO'S but remember max shots are 40 yards...with a little practise most bowhunters are going to nail this..and have fun..

Most critters I run across just seem to whine. ..not time for a dirt nap blah blah....lol
Neil
Old 05-16-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Personally, I would like to say thank you very much to Lefty and all of those involved in thus endeavor. Hats off to you folks!

Iirc, the intent was to give people an place to go and practice/shoot where everyone they are grouped with has the same style of equipment. A place where they can both have fun and at the same time develop skills and hang out with people with at least the common interest of bow hunting.

It is obvious that there is never going to be a combination of rules or guidelines that is unanimously accepted, since everyone has their opinion, and as long as it has been aired and considered, that's all that is all that can be asked.

What really matters is that we are lucky enough to have a group of people that are sympathetic to the cause and are willing to put in a lot of time and effort to provide us with venues where we can go out and shoot and have fun without feeling out of place.

It seems like the committee is under attack in half of these posts. There is no reason that the committee members should have to defend what is obviously a work in progress! As it has been stated, input will be asked for, likely at the shoots themselves and maybe if enough people support this initiative changes can be made for next years season!

Embrace the efforts put forth, and come out and shoot. There are a few things I don't agree with either, but that won't keep me from participating! I think this is a great opportunity for bow hunters to come together. Just come out and shoot!
Well said normanrd !!!

Neil
Old 05-17-2015, 09:35 AM

I'm excited for this , it's gonna be great ! Thanks for all your efforts guys !
Old 05-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Well said normanrd !!!

Neil
I agree well said Normanrd, and although I may be the most vocal of the committee (big surprise) other guys like Nekred deserve kudos for their hard work also in getting this going, they are doing the "real" work!

Interesting experiment yesterday, Normanrd and I shot 3 rounds and I got my butt handed to me each time conventional scoring.

But then we factored in the "Bowhunter Challenge" scoring and the differential was much much less...I think the result actually flipped for one round!

For example...if a guy shot on 26 targets: 12x 11, 8x 10, 3x 8, 3x 5....his score conventionally would come out, 251 or nine down. Now with the bowhunter challenge he would be 32 or 6 up.

Scenario:
One Lady could shoot 8's all day with no fives and let's say 6x 11 and finish 6 up @ 32....(226 conventional)

where another Lady could shoot 10's all day, with 8x 11 and two 5's and finish off @ 30 or 4 up....(258 conventional)

Take those two scores conventionally and there is no doubt who wins, but bow hunter challenge the results reverse . The first Lady could even miss 1 target and come out one point ahead, but with a conventional score of only 216.

There is going to be some fun times ahead for those who participate in the Hunter challenge, it really could be anyone's game And the hope is a lot of fun along the way.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-18-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:14 PM

Ya! It was quite interesting to see the difference in outcome by changing the scoring system. Interesting finishes are definitely possible. Also throw into the equation the final shoot-off and it really does mean almost anyone could beat anybody!

I had a good day with you and Liam! He's sure getting to be good! A couple of bad breaks for you and a couple of fortunate results for me was the difference. I'm glad there wasn't a day 2, because you were coming on hard the last dozen or so targets😅
Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM

The only issue with bringing back the real Bowhunter 3D is I got too dang old waiting for it...hoping the younger generation and the new to bowhunting take advantage of this...

Neil
Old 05-27-2015, 10:41 PM

Not 100% confirmed yet but it sounds like the first shoot to offer the ABA Bowhunter Challenge Class could be coming to a shoot near you soon!

Get the dust off those hunting bows and stay tuned!

LC
Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 PM

Confirmed!

The ABA Bowhunter Challenge Class is born! At the individual club shoot the class is open to anyone who wants to participate.

At the (yet to be determine where and when) Final shoot (likely held mid-August), to be eligible for awards the participants must be ABA members.

The Whitecourt club is the first to showcase the new class!

From a recent post:
"We will be adding a new class, with the addition of (ABA) Bowhunter shoot class and scoring also added to the normal 3D classes. If anyone wants a copy of the scoring and rules for this trial of the new ABA style shoot send me an e-mail address and I will reply.

The ABA will be using this scoring for their Provincial shoot that will be held this summer once awarded by the ABA to an affiliated club and anyone wanting to give it a try to see what and how it will work come on out.

We are also offering pancake breakfast on Sunday morning.

June 6th/7th..."

Hopefully a bunch of folks will come out and participate, Whitecourt puts on a great shoot and we want to thank them for their support in adding the class to their shoot! Lots of room for trailers and camping right at the shoot.

LC
Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Confirmed!

The ABA Bowhunter Challenge Class is born! At the individual club shoot the class is open to anyone who wants to participate.

At the (yet to be determine where and when) Final shoot (likely held mid-August), to be eligible for awards the participants must be ABA members.

The Whitecourt club is the first to showcase the new class!

From a recent post:
"We will be adding a new class, with the addition of (ABA) Bowhunter shoot class and scoring also added to the normal 3D classes. If anyone wants a copy of the scoring and rules for this trial of the new ABA style shoot send me an e-mail address and I will reply.

The ABA will be using this scoring for their Provincial shoot that will be held this summer once awarded by the ABA to an affiliated club and anyone wanting to give it a try to see what and how it will work come on out.

We are also offering pancake breakfast on Sunday morning.

June 6th/7th..."

Hopefully a bunch of folks will come out and participate, Whitecourt puts on a great shoot and we want to thank them for their support in adding the class to their shoot! Lots of room for trailers and camping right at the shoot.

LC
Yikes thats just a week away...lol
Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 AM

Default Hunter Challenge Intro at WFGA Shoot.

Whitecourt has added this as a class to our shoot coming this weekend June 6th/7th and score sheets/rules will be available. Free camping and looks like great weather for the weekend forecast. hope to see a few new faces out to try this new class.

Anyone wanting a copy of the rules for Bowhunter Challenge let me know and I can forward them on.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:06 PM

Hot off the press!

LC
Old 06-05-2015, 01:21 PM

I thought they were talking that a wound was going to be-2 points. Kind of takes the "double jeopardy" out of Making a poor shot now.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:37 PM

I like the new rules and format and look forward to a couple of shoots this summer. I hunt with a 2 power lens so that is my only thing that does not work for me but I see why the rule is in place.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I thought they were talking that a wound was going to be-2 points. Kind of takes the "double jeopardy" out of Making a poor shot now.
It was decided for now to be -1, we will see after a test run or two if -2 makes more sense. The class will morph into what the folks shooting it decide. We encourage folks to shoot it and please provide feedback as to your thoughts.

LC
Old 06-07-2015, 03:47 PM

Great weekend at the shoot with the debut of the Bowhunter Challenge Class in Whitecourt. Hats off to the club and organizers for putting on a great event. 1/4-1/3 of the total shooters gave it a try and the survey results are very favorable. Hopefully some more clubs decide to add it! Thanks to those who sponsored the random draw prizes.

This is what was up for grabs!

LC
Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 PM

Yup, had a great time! Thanks to the volunteers who worked their tails off to make the venue as great as it was. Looking forward to attending more shoots with this class in it!
Old 06-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Default Hunter Challenge scores from Whitecourt

I will post all results, but wanted to show the scores for all interested.

ABA has unofficially awarded their "Hunter Challenge shoot" to the Whitecourt Club and the event will take place on August 15th/16th...just in time to get warmed up for the August 25th opener.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Yup, had a great time! Thanks to the volunteers who worked their tails off to make the venue as great as it was. Looking forward to attending more shoots with this class in it!
x2
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 AM

Outstanding...great job all around... sorry I missed it but wont the next...

Neil