Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2016, 10:12 AM

Default Tow Truck Rates

What have people here had to pay when they've had to call a tow truck? My AMA membership is up for renewal, and I'm thinking of not renewing it and just paying for a tow truck if I need one. What are rates like it Calgary? How about farther out of Calgary? How much is a service call for roadside assistance?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:23 AM

Had my car towed from Millrise to around Chinook mall.
$110.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
What have people here had to pay when they've had to call a tow truck? My AMA membership is up for renewal, and I'm thinking of not renewing it and just paying for a tow truck if I need one. What are rates like it Calgary? How about farther out of Calgary? How much is a service call for roadside assistance?

Have you ever used the tow truck to date? I have never needed one in 40 years of driving, but I can fix my own flats and I don't run out of gas.

Tow truck rates vary by company. Neighbour had his car loaded on a flat deck tower and taken 10 klm to the shop for repairs, cost him $100. Was pizzed after he found out he could of got the same thing done for $60 by phoning around. Most standard wreckers, it is 80 flat rate in town, no hookup or mileage charges. Long distance towing or flat deck hauling is usually $1.5 a klm, charged one way.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:29 AM

Stay with AMA you get 4 tows per year usually plus other benefits. I have the ama plus would never have anything else. Towed my broke truck from Chain lakes to calgary for free would have been $500 plus for that 1 tow plus still had 3 more tows for the year.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:55 AM

I remember in high school it was a norm among myself and my buddies to get memberships because of the hunks of crap we were driving. You could actually hit the limit on tows instead of when you're older with a better car and might not even get towed once in 5 years.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I remember in high school it was a norm among myself and my buddies to get memberships because of the hunks of crap we were driving. You could actually hit the limit on tows instead of when you're older with a better car and might not even get towed once in 5 years.
I used to have one and got my use out of it for this very reason. Driving high mileage, old vehicles that broke down every few months.

Now that we have new cars I don't see a point. I haven't needed a tow in years, and on the off chance it happens I'll just pay the fee.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
I used to have one and got my use out of it for this very reason. Driving high mileage, old vehicles that broke down every few months.

Now that we have new cars I don't see a point. I haven't needed a tow in years, and on the off chance it happens I'll just pay the fee.
There are other reasons for membership with the myriad of services AMA offers, but I think many can be found elsewhere at prices as good or better.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:45 AM

If you breakdown any where near Banff you will be paying close to $500 to be towed 30 to town. AMA would cover it.

If you accidently lock your car near Banff it will cost $250.

I lost a wheel bearing a couple of years ago 31km from Canmore on the Banff side. Let's just say it would have been cheaper to of rented a truck and trailer and towed my truck home myself then it was to get towed 31km.

It depends on where you drive. It does not matter how new or old your vehicle is. Make sure you have a towing plan either under a new vehicle purchase or through AMA or CanaDian Tire.
AMA will tow 1 tonn trucks now as long as it's not loaded with work stufff like a welder.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:47 AM

Never used one until last weekend. Went to elk Island Park and somehow the kids locked the keys inside the wife's van. Called ama got a membership and a lockout at the same time. Would have cost almost the same to call a lock out all the way there.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Gone Hunting

When I was in the towing business auto club covered tow to the nearest repair facility. Beyond that there was a mileage surcharge. We didn't just tow you any where for free.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-17-2016, 02:58 PM

Be more likely to need a pull out of a mud rut than a tow.

I remember seeing a app based out of the US for people to join to offer up pulls for off-roaders.

Too bad there's fewer people and larger areas and limited cell service up here.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:11 PM

Thumbs down tow truck robbery

Last January I broke down with my truck south of Fort Smith NWT (90 k). The tow truck company wanted 650$ to tow it to Fort Smith plus another 100 $ service fee for disrupting his supper. All there is for service station is a quicky type mart. Nearest shop is 3 hys away, which he would tow me to for an addition 2100$. All said and done the estimate was 3000$ Then I find out there is no Dodge dealer in Hay River or bus service for that matter. BELIEVE me when I say that this is not the place to break down!!! Was able to get a friend to rescue me and tow my truck all the way back to Drayton Valley for a fraction of the price.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Be more likely to need a pull out of a mud rut than a tow.

I remember seeing a app based out of the US for people to join to offer up

Too bad there's fewer people and larger areas and limited cell service up here.
Most tow trucks wont go off pavement and for sure not off gravel. Better have your own extraction equipmant around here. AMA isn't going to help if you are stuck in the swamp.

I would be in for puĺling guys out of trouble if someone put together an app for around here.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:04 PM

I agree with others. If you don't go out of town alot, and have a newer vehicle you don't need the AMA. Even with the basic rate - what is it now - $89? it just about covers one tow in-town. Do you break more often? Do you break less often? If you don't get a tow this year you are already ahead. Start a cookie jar with the label "tow fund" and throw $100 a year. I have the feeling it will be in black more often then not.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Cost me $750 to get a broke down chevy HD from Grassy Lake to Claresholm and then a week later back to Taber 2 yrs ago. AMA is useless if you drive a commercial vehicle.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:32 PM

I've carried tow service almost since I started driving. Some years it payed for itself for a few years, overall I would guess it has saved me money, but it definitely is a peace of mind to have, kind of like carrying tools, I use them more for helping others than for myself. I have been on a gravel road 45 miles from home when the distributor gear stripped, was nice to know that the vehicle was not going to be left unattended while finding a ride. Had one vehicle where the button in the distributor disappeared, quick 30 minute ride home on a deck truck. Wife has used the lockout while down in the US. Used the services for other things over the years as well. If I drove mostly in town, I probably wouldn't bother, but I live a ways from garage services, and mine also covers my children if they are riding with friends of theirs, lots of peace of mind right there.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:54 AM

I have had AMA since 2008. Have the RV Plus membership. For the price it is piece of mind I enjoy having.

In 2011, while on a forest fire north of Fort Mac, I had to get 2 trucks towed into the Ford dealership for repairs about 3 days apart. Used a company in town to tow the trucks in. Trucks were 60-70 kms north of town but easily accessible. Took awhile for me to get copies of the invoices from the company. When I got them I understood why. Think they were embarrassed by their highway robbery. Just under $2000 total.

Last edited by JohninAB; 07-18-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:31 AM
Banned

As a lot of you members have pointed out, there are a lot of variables to consider when deciding to become an AMA member or renew a membership.
In my case, I have always driven older vehicles, and even though I try to keep them well maintained, stuff happens, esp in winter. Wife and daughter have locked themselves out of vehicle a couple time in recent years. I always feel more comfortable going on longer trips knowing I have AMA coverage. They have even towed one or my other cube vans in the last 20 years.
AMA also has great rates for home and vehicle Ins. They have always treated us fairly and quickly if we had a claim. Shorter wait times to renew registration and you can get 2 or even 3 year registration renewels which saves you a bit of money.
Basically, I have been an AMA member for around 40 years and plan to continue enjoying their great service.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Banned

AMA is like any insurance...it's an un-necessary expense...till you need it.
I had it a for a few years and then decided I didn't need it.
Within a two week period after cancelling it:
-my youngest managed to lock the keys in the vehicle and my spare was at home, 150 km away. Cost $40 to have someone get me in.
-a week later a serpentine belt let go 20 km out of Red Deer. Paid over $100 for the tow.
Renewed my membership the following week.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Stay with AMA you get 4 tows per year usually plus other benefits. I have the ama plus would never have anything else. Towed my broke truck from Chain lakes to calgary for free would have been $500 plus for that 1 tow plus still had 3 more tows for the year.
I have been with AMA for a long time. You may not need them very often or ever, but when you do it is a comfort.

Returning from our BC holiday and pulling my RV trailer 2 weeks ago, I made my way from Chain Lakes over the hill to Nanton to fuel up. We got to just north of Dunbow Road......my truck died.

AMA towed my truck to a shop in NE Calgary and the 25' RV trailer to my house (near Bass Pro) with my wife and I in the tow truck.

I can't imagine the bill for a non AMA truck........

At Christmas time I renew the kids AMA membership for the coming year.

Good towing insurance....IMO

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:16 PM

I know this is an old thread but thought it was worth resurrecting. Last week was the first time in my life I had a car towed. I have always been able to get the car home on its own power up till now. Fuel pump went out on my pickup. It is in the tank, so no way to do a field fix.

Tow service, Spirit River Towing, charged me $7 a Kilometer one way for a simple load and drop. No bad road or difficulty getting to the pick up location. They did not take MAA, AMA of BCAA, I asked because my hunting partners each had coverage with one of the three.. If I would of had time to shop around I could probably have found a MUCH better deal but they did at least get the truck into the shop on the Monday, so I could get it back Tuesday. He also knows what he is doing when it comes to loading truck on flat deck. Good service, just REALLY flipping expensive.

Shout out to NAPA Fairview that got me a somewhat rare fuel pump for a 96 Dodge, overnight. Big shout out to Dwayne at Edge Auto Repair that got the truck fixed in less than a day and charged me a very fair price of $300 for the fuel pump install and repairing the running board while it was in there.

When I figure how much I have saved by not having AMA the past 50 years, even at outrageous tow rates, I am still way ahead of the game.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:57 PM

Default Ama

On 2 occasions they would not come to help. Once I was in a campground and another time in a cardlock service station. They said they would not come onto private property, only on to public roads. Was very frustrating after paying membership for more than 20 years.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:16 PM

$3,000.00 from near castle junction to Seba Beach 450 km.

Sunday afternoon after 2 weeks of camping, I was not going to Banff / Canmore .... I was going home LOL

Old 11-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
On 2 occasions they would not come to help. Once I was in a campground and another time in a cardlock service station. They said they would not come onto private property, only on to public roads. Was very frustrating after paying membership for more than 20 years.

That’s a new one. I’ve been towed from parking lots before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

When I figure how much I have saved by not having AMA the past 50 years, even at outrageous tow rates, I am still way ahead of the game.
Except you could have called AMA and signed up then and they would have towed you, even though you were not a member. You can sign up when you are broken down and still covered.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:27 PM

I have been a CAA member off and on for years, more off than on but I have used it a few times and I feel it is worthwhile peace of mind.

I have even used it on a brand new vehicle when I lost the key to my truck in Regina and had to drive back to Calagary with a load of cattle the next day.
I'm still waiting for a call back from Chrysler Road Side Assistance.

You get free maps, travel planning and decent discounts from some restaurants.

I hadn't had a membership for years but when my now older and miled out truck gave me grief this past winter I called a friend with a tilt deck to haul my 3/4 ton Dodge home. He is also a CAA/AMA service.
That tow was about $190, I think I paid $164 for the best coverage CAA offers which I believe allows 5 tows of 100 km and one up to 500kms per year or something like that.

12 years and 400,000 km on the truck I think it's cheap insurance.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:43 PM

I signed up last November first time ever for AMA, got the premium 5 tows of 150 km of towing service. Cost: $130 for the year.

Used it to tow a Chevrolet 2500 crew cab after the injection pump blew. Required a big wrecker, operator said it'd probably cost $100+ for the towing I had done anyway. Also used it after I locked my only set of keys in my car one time on accident. Right there it pretty much paid for itself, if not more.

Then my membership made me money. One afternoon on Kijiji I saw a steal of a deal on a crew cab long bed Ford one ton that wouldn't stay running. Wouldn't have bought it due to no way of transporting a non-running truck, but then figured "wait, I already paid for AMA, I'll get them to tow it back to my place to monkey around with it".

Bought the truck, called AMA, they sent a big heavy wrecker (which was driven by a shockingly attractive female driver) who got there within 10 minutes after calling, towed it back to my house. Got the truck running good enough, sold it to another guy five days later for a $2000 profit.

So in the end, my AMA membership has now paid for itself for the next 13 years, provided they don't jack up the rates.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
If you breakdown any where near Banff you will be paying close to $500 to be towed 30 to town. AMA would cover it.

If you accidently lock your car near Banff it will cost $250.

I lost a wheel bearing a couple of years ago 31km from Canmore on the Banff side. Let's just say it would have been cheaper to of rented a truck and trailer and towed my truck home myself then it was to get towed 31km.

It depends on where you drive. It does not matter how new or old your vehicle is. Make sure you have a towing plan either under a new vehicle purchase or through AMA or CanaDian Tire.
AMA will tow 1 tonn trucks now as long as it's not loaded with work stufff like a welder.
Was camping at Boulton Creek this fall with the gf when our two dogs locked her out of her Grand Cherokee. I had the trailer hooked up to my truck and if it wasn't for the rain and bear warnings, it would have been quicker and easier to leave her there, drive back into Calgary, unhook the trailer and drive back out with a spare.

Cost to get a tow from Banff to jimmy the lock was $350. took 3 hours for him to arrive and 5 minutes to get us back in the v. I contemplated smashing a window for most of those 3 hours. Even better was the AMA membership that the g/f had let lapse the week prior. FML
Old 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Banned

AMA is like insurance...grossly overpriced til you need it.
Have used it twice in the 6 years I've had it.
Both times for flat repairs. The first I was changing the tire, had the flat off and was getting ready to put on the spare when the piece of crap Dodge scissor jack failed. Luckily I wasn't hurt as the van fell. AMA came out and got it lifted and the tire on.
Second time I pulled into work. It was -20 and snowing heavily. Been in my office about 1/2 hour when one of my co-workers came in to tell me I had a flat.
Sure glad I didn't have to do the flat repair in that weather.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Another nice thing is if you have AAA/CAA you don't have to use it on your own car. If your with a friend or other family and their car goes down you can use your membership to get out of a jam. I look at it as cheap insurance.