Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Sniff
Sniff
Whewww....

Yup, I’m afraid this smell test didn’t fair too well.

I wonder if the OP drives a black Dodge dually?
Apparently traded it for a Chevrolet product.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
A shot in the dark here, but what were you carrying for points? If you only had small game or bird points, you might be okay...but if you had broadheads, if might indicate that you were after something bigger.
Correct me if I’m wrong but, bird hunting arrow heads vs big games arrow heads have the same regulations, have to be 1” or bigger?

It’s unfortunate that you both got the ticket, I’m sure I would have said the same thing if I ever did that. I get nervous and my brain shuts down when law enforcement confront me, I just answer yes and no mostly and don’t elaborate.

I see it as you had a license on you for upland game bird, you’re legal. Your friend had a white tail tag, he’s legal. I hope this gets thrown out, but just have to watch that. Lots of families go push bush for a family member and not all of them have a hunting license, and that’s illegal if your above the legal age.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Never cooperate with wildlife officers.

I was in your shoes last year, although, my mistakes was different then yours. I thought I would get only a warning as well but I ended up with a court date and being classified as a poacher. My mistake was to let my dad dropping me off on a land I have permission on and to let him walk to his blind by himself. My dad is not from Alberta. I was 1.6 km away from where my dad’s stand was .It is an illegal act to let someone from another province walk to his stand by himslef in Alberta as we are responsible for their security. They seized my dad’s weapon and gave me a court date. They ruined our hunt and the result of that is my dad don’t even want to hunt here in Alberta anymore. I was trying to be cooperative like you but in the end, these wildlife officers have quotas to fill overt year so can justify their jobs. Ask me if I’ll ever cooperate with one of these guys in the futur. They were trying to remove my hunting rights for 2 years and give me a 3000$ fine. I got away with 500$ fine and I kept my hunting rights.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:17 PM

That seems messed up.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 PM

If I've understood your post, you and your friend were both hunting deer (and birds) in an area where you need a special license for WT deer. Since neither of you had the required license, you were both charged for hunting without a license. If this is the case, then the charges seem fair, regardless of whether or not you were successful. If you had said you were 'bird' hunting, then maybe you wouldn't have been charged (depends if there were any reason to doubt this, I would think). Hopefully the judge believes that this was an issue with not knowing\understanding the regs (as opposed to intentionally breaking the law), and the penalty reflects that.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_spec View Post
I was in your shoes last year, although, my mistakes was different then yours. I thought I would get only a warning as well but I ended up with a court date and being classified as a poacher. My mistake was to let my dad dropping me off on a land I have permission on and to let him walk to his blind by himself. My dad is not from Alberta. I was 1.6 km away from where my dad’s stand was .It is an illegal act to let someone from another province walk to his stand by himslef in Alberta as we are responsible for their security. They seized my dad’s weapon and gave me a court date. They ruined our hunt and the result of that is my dad don’t even want to hunt here in Alberta anymore. I was trying to be cooperative like you but in the end, these wildlife officers have quotas to fill overt year so can justify their jobs. Ask me if I’ll ever cooperate with one of these guys in the futur. They were trying to remove my hunting rights for 2 years and give me a 3000$ fine. I got away with 500$ fine and I kept my hunting rights.
So you didn’t follow the rules and they ruined your hunt? Really?

LC
Old 11-14-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but, bird hunting arrow heads vs big games arrow heads have the same regulations, have to be 1” or bigger?

It’s unfortunate that you both got the ticket, I’m sure I would have said the same thing if I ever did that. I get nervous and my brain shuts down when law enforcement confront me, I just answer yes and no mostly and don’t elaborate.

I see it as you had a license on you for upland game bird, you’re legal. Your friend had a white tail tag, he’s legal. I hope this gets thrown out, but just have to watch that. Lots of families go push bush for a family member and not all of them have a hunting license, and that’s illegal if your above the legal age.
No bird hunting heads do not have a minimum size.

LC
Old 11-14-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
So you didn’t follow the rules and they ruined your hunt? Really?

LC
No kidding, how dare F&W enforce the regulations, that someone chose to ignore.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado_knight View Post
We been hunting out in white court together and felt maybe a closer day trip to cooking lake. He picked up a bow license and we headed out. As first season out I wasn’t expecting to get a deer and if i sightings where good is pick one up at lunch for afternoon hunt or let my buddy with the general deer tag take the shot.

We see nothing and head back to the truck to be greater by fish and wild life. Unfortunately I guess that area you need a special deer license for strath and a general WT isn’t good enough. She was nice educated we apologized and explained our thinking and where nothing short of apologetic and cooperative.

We both ended up getting slapped with hunting with out a license ticket and a court date. She didn’t seize the bow or anything due to our co operation with her. But how screwed am I. I realize I made a big mistake afterwards by checking I hunter witch says sept 1-nov 30 is WT general archery. But it’s a private app and I should of went back to reading the regs better.
Were you "out near cooking lake" or were you in the Cooking Lake-Blackfoot PRA? Because it sounds more like you were in the PRA and didn't have the required permits.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM

Default You guys are so perfect

Quote:
No bird hunting heads do not have a minimum size.

LC
You are so perfect. I bet you know all the freaking rules by heart eh. In the mean time,the land owner had a guy shoot a deer right in front of his house last year. He had the plate number and the wildlife officers didn’t do anything about it. These guys are doing such a great job...All I was trying to do is to enjoy the outdoor with my dad. It’s not like I was dropping him off in the middle of no where by himself. I was 1.6 km away from him sitting in a blind with cell phone contact with him. I think some of the rules are overkill. I really hope you see this with your own eyes someday. A warning would of been enough, lesson learned, your dad can’t drive the truck and go to his blind by himself. But these guys were determined to get me in trouble. They wouldn’t give me a ticket, automatic court for this kind of offense. To go to court and to seize my dad’s rifle was retarded.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
. I bet you know all the freaking rules by heart eh.
A person should not be hunting unless he does know all of the rules. How do you expect to avoid violating the regulations, if you don't know them?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A person should not be hunting unless he does know all of the rules. How do you expect to avoid violating the regulations, if you don't know them?
Omg, I am such a rule breaker, I let my dad drive the truck to the other side of the field and let him go in his blind by himself! It is pretty sad that we live in a world with so many stupid rules.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:18 PM

What does stating bird heads don’t have a minimize size have to do with being perfect?

LC
Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
What does stating bird heads don’t have a minimize size have to do with being perfect?

LC
Wrong quote, pretty obvious isn’t it?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Omg, I am such a rule breaker, I let my dad drive the truck to the other side of the field and let him go in his blind by himself! It is pretty sad that we live in a world with so many stupid rules.
Like it or not those are the rules, either follow them, or face charges for violating them.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Give it up buddy. You’re not doing yourself any favours by carrying on this conversation. You were in the wrong on a rule that’s laid out pretty clear when you sign up to be a hunter host. It’s pretty much the main rule around being a hunter host so I find it hard to believe you didn’t know you had to be in direct contact with the person you were hosting. Sounds like you got caught and the rest is just sour grapes...
Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
For every person who thinks they made just a mistake and it’s no big deal there is another who willfully breaks the law .
F&W don’t make the rules nor do they set the fine ,the court did that.
You say you will never cooperate with them again but think what would have happened if you had not and you father hadshot an animal while they were talking to you with them knowing full well where he was.
It is not a good idea to be so cavalier about the law
Cat
Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Give it up buddy. You’re not doing yourself any favours by carrying on this conversation. You were in the wrong on a rule that’s laid out pretty clear when you sign up to be a hunter host. It’s pretty much the main rule around being a hunter host so I find it hard to believe you didn’t know you had to be in direct contact with the person you were hosting. Sounds like you got caught and the rest is just sour grapes...
You are right about the sour grape. You see, what ****es me off the most is that I see people breaking the law everyday where I hunt. People shooting from vehicles, trespassing, shooting deer directly towards a house. And all these guys don’t get anything. I’m the kind of guy who sit in a blind all day at -20 and try to follow every rule out there, get permissions, I even lock my firearm as soon as I get in my vehicle to avoid any trouble. But in the end, the only thing that matters to these super troopers is their quota. Yea that’s right, all they want is to bring as many people as they can to court to justify their jobs. That’s the thing I have trouble with.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:11 PM

Just because some others break the law does not mean it’s okay .
Cat
Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Lots of sour grapes, and peeing and moaning, from individuals who can’t understand nor comprehend the regulations.
It’s written in legalese because that’s how laws are written, learn legalese or reap the whirlwind, I’m afraid.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-14-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Wrong quote, pretty obvious isn’t it?
Well I know now you aren’t perfect so it makes sense.

LC
Old 11-14-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Well I know now you aren’t perfect so it makes sense.

LC
Far from being perfect, I’m making a lot of friends here tonight. 😂 Oh well, I guess we can’t really say anything against the law here. You guys are right, I am a criminal, I broke the law. End of story, have a good night.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
But in the end, the only thing that matters to these super troopers is their quota. Yea that’s right, all they want is to bring as many people as they can to court to justify their jobs. That’s the thing I have trouble with.
That has to be those most over used line of bull crap anyone uses when talking about law enforcement! There is no "quota's" that they or any officer needs to fill. They're out there to do a job, which is protecting wildlife.

If you wanted to enjoy a day out in the woods with your father than all that was required of you was to sit in the same blind as him.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
That has to be those most over used line of bull crap anyone uses when talking about law enforcement! There is no "quota's" that they or any officer needs to fill. They're out there to do a job, which is protecting wildlife.

If you wanted to enjoy a day out in the woods with your father than all that was required of you was to sit in the same blind as him.
You don’t even know what you’re talking about. The law is, you have to walk with the individual to the stand. That individual has to stay there until you go get him. You don’t need to be in the blind with the individual. What I did wrong was to let my dad walk to the stand by himself.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
You don’t even know what you’re talking about. The law is, you have to walk with the individual to the stand. That individual has to stay there until you go get him. You don’t need to be in the blind with the individual. What I did wrong was to let my dad walk to the stand by himself.
Quote:
I was 1.6 km away from him sitting in a blind with cell phone contact with him.
Are you sure about that? I’ve never been a hunter host but I have had a Partner License (or whatever it’s called) to hunt moose with a primary tag holder. We had to be in direct communication with each other without the use of electronic devices (ie. cellphone or walk-in talkie). It doesn’t sound to me like being 1.6 kms away would meet that requirement......unless the regs are different for hunter host.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are you sure about that? I’ve never been a hunter host but I have had a Partner License (or whatever it’s called) to hunt moose with a primary tag holder. We had to be in direct communication with each other without the use of electronic devices (ie. cellphone or walk-in talkie). It doesn’t sound to me like being 1.6 kms away would meet that requirement......unless the regs are different for hunter host.
A hunter host and a partner license are not the same, and are not bound by the same restrictions. A hunter host is pretty much a guide that cant charge a fee. As crazy as it sounds, a guide can take his hunter to a blind, and leave him there on his own.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-14-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 PM

Just remember that in any law enforcement system in this country what you tell them will or maybe used against you in a court of law.So if you told them whatever you get written up and that isn't the FW officers who made these rules or laws.

He is just paid to make sure there not broken and he writes you up and then court decides how to go about it and the correct fine ,you didn't lie about it so that is one thing in your favor which the courts will look hard at,if you did lie in any way and they decide you did then you pay for your lies and the offence.

Lets just say it's like you said and you will get some sort of fine and if you were not rude to the officer and they have some pull with the crown and so on.

We all learn by our mistakes and your not the only one in alberta,but without laws for wildlife there wouldn't be anything to hunt.Look it as a long term donation for future wildlife that you will hunt no matter the amount and it sure as hell isn't going to be 50 grand.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I was just hosted in BC and we needed to be in earshot? The Alberta regs say you need to accompany them whenever they are hunting big game. Were is the language talking about blinds?

(edit: I found it. You are totally right)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
A hunter host and a partner license are not the same, and are not bound by the same restrictions. A hunter host is pretty much a guide that cant charge a fee.
Yup, thanks. Right there in the regs in bold that the host has to take the hunter to and from the blind.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
A hunter host and a partner license are not the same, and are not bound by the same restrictions. A hunter host is pretty much a guide that cant charge a fee. As crazy as it sounds, a guide can take his hunter to a blind, and leave him there on his own.
I would really like to know the rational behind that?