Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 PM

I can't see the need for bluetooth. I'll just put my blackberry in the cupholder and if I get a call all I have to do is hit the speakerphone button. The law says you can hit one button to answer a call and it still qualifies as hands free.

Overall I'm not too worried about th law. Once I read it over it really only bans stupid things like texting, writing reading, using computer, putting on make-up, etc. Can still eat and drink, talk on a hands free, use (but not program) your GPS, etc.

The only thing that surprised me was that I was not aware you couldn't pull over on a highway except in an emergency.... so no pulling over to take or make a call, or even to change drivers, etc. They say you have to go to a rest area or otherwise get off the highway.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM

my prediction is that people will now be bored driving, so they'll speed more.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm pretty sure a one armed amputee can get a drivers license, so what the heck is the difference if I have a conversation hands free or holding the blasted phone?

I'll be defying this bad legislation in my personal vehicle, but abiding by it in my marked company truck; the last thing I need is some busy-body calling me in and costing me my job for doing something I've been doing responsibly for 23 years (when I include CB radios, maybe 18 years on cell phones)

Looking around this morning though, I've not seen anyone holding a phone while driving though.
one eyed and deaf people can get drivers licenses.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronk View Post
The problem is it will not do anything to stop the idiots on the road. I was at funeral a few weeks back and almost half of the the 20-30ish people had their heads down texting through the entire service. no respect, no common sense....
That is absolutely disgusting.

There is really no response that would be appropriate.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Administrator

We have too many of these distracted driving threads. I have merged the 2 recent threads together.

Last edited by admin; 09-01-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 PM

My forecast is that for the next while incidents will be on the rise. Many people won't stop doing the things they do, they will just try to hide it better when they do them. Thus doubling the distraction.
Instead of texting up on the steering wheel where they can have a half azzed eye on the road, it will be down in their lap paying no attention to the road at all.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The only thing that surprised me was that I was not aware you couldn't pull over on a highway except in an emergency.... so no pulling over to take or make a call, or even to change drivers, etc. They say you have to go to a rest area or otherwise get off the highway.
i didnt know this either.....i spend a lot of time on the shoulder glassing deer this time of the year LOL

oops
Old 09-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
So should we take bets on who will be the first AO member to get a ticket. I know I never bought anything hands free yet, waiting till the big price drop comes.LOL.
When it first came out in strathcona county 2 years ago I got one, My brother called me and we were making plans to head out hunting that following weekend and got pulled over! haha, weird thing is, when I sent in my cheque, they returned it saying it was dropped?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE View Post
"Today was one of them days. I just wedged the phone between the boobs and talked to the customers."

The wife carries all kinds of things in Hers...I was going to say.."Now that's using your Head"..But...It's not...
See I knew I wasnt the only woman who has been known to do that.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:55 PM

dumb law, now people on the shoulder pulled over on the highway or any other road may get rear ended alot more now, great cash grab for the stupid city of edmonton and province of alberta, to stupid
Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 PM

The magic question is how many of these posts were done from their phone while driving...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
dumb law, now people on the shoulder pulled over on the highway or any other road may get rear ended alot more now, great cash grab for the stupid city of edmonton and province of alberta, to stupid
Oh bullchit, eventually idiot kids will learn that they do not have to be connected 24/7 and text while pretending to drive, self absorbed businessmen will figure out that the world will go on without their micro managing everything every second of the day, and Miffy the soccer mom will run up fines. The kids will just tint their windows.

Life will go on, and Telus will make a killing with earpieces.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 PM

its a dumb law, trust me man, and i am getting limo tint next week.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Lol!

I know a guy.....

Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 PM

how much will he charge? just need the two front windows tinted
Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 AM

Super dark tinted side windows on front two doors are also illegal so you get a fine anyway you go.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
And you will get a bigger fine for that.

I agree somewhat to the law, seen too many people doing dumb things while driving but how about them getting rid of other distractions like: Half of the signs on the road, there are too many and you can't read them all untill its too late after you drive by the one your looking for. Easyer to read street marker signs so you can see them 50 yds away and not 50 ft. All that kind of stuff.

Will it be a distraction reading your GPS as your driving? YA. They dont need this law as two already are in place, driving with undue care and attention. and careless driving. LOL This law is a joke. Just another way to grab some cash. The next thing you will hear is someone getting a photo phone ticket. Oh that reminds me how about the distraction of that really bright light flashing in your mirror. It is ilegal to flash your headlights to oncoming traffic. Are they going to give them selfs a ticket?

When you get pulled over for eating that bigmac just tell the cop it is just a snack as you normally eat two or three and you should get off right. Or you dont have any fries so its not a meal. LOL Why would they not just make it no cellphones period, after all this is what they are after. This law is a joke the way it is written up. Just gonna plug up the court system and cost the tax payers money. The law for J-walking is in place but it does not get enforced enough. By my place I see J-walkers every day at all times of the day in the same place on a major street only 200ft from the trafic lights on both sides of the spot.

Last edited by Kim473; 09-02-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 AM

saw a car with limo tint the other day. All except a tiny bit allowing the driver to see the mirrors. I tell ya it looked strange.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 AM

Shawn, you pull into my hometown and you wouldn't make it downtown.....cop would have you pulled over and lend you his razor blade to clean it off ! Voice of experience....
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Explain to us why you think its a dumb law?

Is driving while being intoxicated a dumb law also? To limo tint your vehicle is around 500 bucks depending on how many windows your vehicle has. Tinting your front windows just makes you a more obvious target to pull you over
Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
how much will he charge? just need the two front windows tinted
Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

Life will go on, and Telus will make a killing with earpieces.
No kidding....if Future Shop and mobile shops are smart, they will have put in orders a few weeks ago, so that they can have tons of bluetooth stock to put on sale for the next 3-4 weeks...probably make a killing on earpieces priced $20-$50...
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

It's a dumb law because look at the idiots that came up with it. With all due respect to the "Blind dog finding a bone" axiom, I am pretty sure it does not apply in this situation.

The dude that spearheaded this law said something to the effect that certain size burgers would be ok, but bigger ones wouldn't, and how long it took to eat them. Does that sound like someone that would come up with a "smart" law. Pretty much all the laws we needed were on the books in 1900. Everything else has been the result of some moron politician that needed to look busy.

OH...and because studies have shown that these laws INCREASE accident rates.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM

What annoys me is that six or seven provinces have similar laws that include demerits with a fine, and at least one has increasing fines for repeat offenses...ours has neither, so there is little incentive to comply.

Many people could afford one of these tickets every 6 weeks or so, and are likely going to continue the behaviour because they will gamble (probably successfully) on not getting pinched more than once every couple of months or so.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 PM

I remember the time I saw that guy driving with his knees while he held his phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Something like that would get you a ticket just for being a moron, distracted driving law or not. If he wasn't afraid to do it then he won't be afraid to do it now.

Idiots are...not smart.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Default BC Stats

"From Feb. 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011, police issued 36,921 tickets to drivers for use of an electronic device while driving, and 1,081 tickets to drivers for emailing or texting while driving." At 167 bucks and 3 demerits a shot a lil extra incentive for our neighbours to the west in BC! Here is a few more stats since they implemented the law.

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2011/0...y-weekend.html

Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 PM

I wonder how much the insurance industry paid thier lobbyists to get this one on the books?

I can always back sensible safety legislation, and I maintain that 'undue care and attention' covered it all already. This is knee-jerk legislation much like the gun registry. It came in as a reaction to the fact that some people are irresponsible and shouldn't be allowed sharp scissors or enough rope to hang themselves; and as a result the rest of us who have been responsible still get treated/punished/inconvenienced according to the lowest common denominator.

This law really ties to my signature line to a "T".
Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Shawn, you pull into my hometown and you wouldn't make it downtown.....cop would have you pulled over and lend you his razor blade to clean it off ! Voice of experience....
i know, back in 2004 when i drove a benz full tint on all sides and rcmp suburban pulled me over in Edson i was on the way to camp and fish with a friend, he gave me amonia and a pad and said you better take the tint off now or i will tow your car, i was ****ed, but i took it off though and had a nice fishing chat.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:30 AM

Who would get the ticket?
ME in my truck stareing down and over or the beautifull woman beside me in the rag top wearing a very low cut and high riding dress?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Default just found

today through the intranet at work that the new law not only carries the $172. fine but "8 demerits". Not that I text or anything else while driving, but hope this was a misprint on the homepage at work. Any one confirm this?