Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Default Lake Diefenbaker

Anyone fish Diefenbaker before? Heading there in a couple months. Any hot spots or deadly lures? Staying at Hitchcock bay.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Banned

The Geeks know.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Geeks x 2. There is master gurus.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Banned

Default My 'home' lake

The last time I fished Hitchcock Bay I was dragging a jig while I readied my boat for the end of my trip. Not 50m from the launch I managed a nice 3# rainbow. As you follow the shore there are many little bays all along the west side that you can go in and out of.

Or go across to the structure just off the east side, a south shore, slightly south of straight east. Lots of walleye in my experience.

Most days I long line a willow leaf and spoon or a crankbait with inline weight or slip weight in that area south to the fish enclosures just north of the ferry crossing and back. I've had a few multi-species days.

If I'm not mistaken, the Konrads caught the second record triploid at the bottom of the spillway at Gardiner Dam at night. Not sure where the first one was taken but both famous fish were escapees from the aquaculture pens.

BTW. The farmed rainbow trout in that region have darker (red) flesh than the native variety. The main market for these fish is Europe and I'm told they prefer the meat to resemble salmon over there. The masses of fish that escaped in 2000, from which the Fishing Geeks claim to fame originated, are long dead but a few get away every year and grow, grow, grow.

Last edited by Freedom55; 03-19-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Default 80ft

88ft deep jigging for whites, now that's my fishing fun or until one of the rainbow hit and launch right out of the water, or the magical double digit walleye or pike, or when the wind picks up and the boats bucking like bull.
Fun times on that lake.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 PM

They escaped again. My buddy who lives there caught 5 one day this winter at riverhurst
Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 AM

Just got back from Diefenbaker and wow it was amazing! Pike, walleye, sauger, goldeye, whitefish and rainbow were all caught. What a cool lake. Except all the ticks. They were every where!

25” walleye was the biggest, caught using a tiny blue spinner with a little piece of worm on it looking for trout. Trolling only 1 foot below surface 😮

18 lb pike was biggest, caught on a small blue and silver hot n tot

5 lb rainbow caught on fly rod with egg sucking leech.

Thanks for the tips everyone!