Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 06:38 PM

Default Jackson lake staging trail

I've heard that the trail into jackon from the staging area is closed off for repair and gravelling, does anyone know if this is for the rest of the season? I haven't seen much for signs or posts.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:56 AM

Sorry can’t help ya but the Blackett side is open. I would call the fish cops in lac, they could tell you.. Fishing was slower for us yesterday but the weather was perfect! So many guys staging at blackett there was probably 10 trucks parked on the road. Chatted with a few groups That said they won’t be back, way to much effort for what they caught. Lol. Good luck
Old 03-18-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Sorry can’t help ya but the Blackett side is open. I would call the fish cops in lac, they could tell you.. Fishing was slower for us yesterday but the weather was perfect! So many guys staging at blackett there was probably 10 trucks parked on the road. Chatted with a few groups That said they won’t be back, way to much effort for what they caught. Lol. Good luck
Thanks Capper, I've heard some people went in the Dabbs trail from near Touchwood and took over an hour to get in on sled. If the fishing is slow might not be worth the drive in...
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 AM

Our last trip in last summer, we noticed they had gone through and widened the trail, or at least cut back a lot of the scrub that was growing in.
That might be a prelude to getting larger equipment in to redo parts of the trail. I don't thing it was in bad shape, a couple holes and dips, and one hill that was getting washed out. Probably more for the boat launch approach.
I think they would be better off fixing the outhouses
Old 03-19-2018, 03:11 PM

We were there a couple weekends ago and yup.... they closed the trail so that they can stock pile gravel for repairs in October.... seems ridiculous to me to close it for the last couple weekends of fishing season but that's our wonderful government for you.

It should be opened back up for the summer season.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 AM

I just got of the phone with the park information line. Last year the trail was widened to allow access for dump trucks to distribute gravel down the trail now. They were also hoping to get the boat launch area widened. It is all supposed to be done before spring season opens.
No luck fixing the outhouses
Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 AM

There's tons of lakes you can quad into. I really wish they made this a non-motorized park., it would deal with 90% of the garbage and hooliganism that occurs. If you wanted to fish it you'd really have to work for it and those that did could have some peace.

I've done the circuit 3 times so I have a bit of experience. :-)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
There's tons of lakes you can quad into. I really wish they made this a non-motorized park., it would deal with 90% of the garbage and hooliganism that occurs. If you wanted to fish it you'd really have to work for it and those that did could have some peace.

I'm sure you wouldn't find much support for that among the locals up here.

How do you get in, in the summer with a tent and a boat?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Typical government response in this case....one guy broke something on his trailer and complained the trail is bad, we all pay the price for his incompetence. I agree, to a point, limit the traffic to reduce fishing pressure and camping garbage. But my experience is the only hooligans I've ever run across there are the Black 4 legged kind, and the pesky deer walking into camp unannounced! I simply don't go on long weekends. Done.
I only hope after this improvement is completed, they adjust the gate to reduce the size of vessels allowed on the water. Too many big s x s's with 16' long or better boats going in. Those are the rigs that can't make the tight turns and end up short cutting and detours off the trail. The other issue I see with the improvements is speed. Everyone is in a rush to get in, I admit, I'm probably one of them, but holes and ruts limit that. With them gone, I see greater risk with head on traffic.
I really think the 3 main motorized trails limit access enough to maintain the parks backcountry. I see evidence of this whenever we look at our old campsite on the South shore, almost completely overgrown.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
I'm sure you wouldn't find much support for that among the locals up here.

How do you get in, in the summer with a tent and a boat?
It's called a canoe & portaging.

I have nothing against boats and quads but to have just one area off limits to them outside of the NPs would be nice.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:45 AM

I find the trail in pretty good, the size of the gate isn’t going to change much because it’s just the right size for the game wardens boat which is a Lund 16’ ssv.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Timsesink, you probably know this but McMuffin lake is in the loop and you will have the lake all to yourself. No boat or atv access. I personally have never had any issues out on any of those lakes. I’ve taken garbage out but I’ve do that everywhere. Parking lots, the street, forests. Garbage is everywhere and always a problem!!! Keep the lakes as is, atv or foot access!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's called a canoe & portaging.

I have nothing against boats and quads but to have just one area off limits to them outside of the NPs would be nice.
Got ya. So you want people to only enjoy the resource the way you want to. See you out there this summer. I'll be the guy in a samurai with a 14 foot Lund and a wall tent. Come say hi.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:06 AM

How wide is the gate at the Jackson staging area?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 AM

Post #11...wide enough for a 16' lund to get in.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Where is post #11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery_nut View Post
Where is post #11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Between post 10 and 12

BW